PDA

View Full Version : Got John King's book (solos and duets)

Gipserio
01-31-2010, 06:37 AM
THe book arrived a couple of days ago and I've been reading the text, which is interesting, listening to the CD (the man could play!) and looking at the music score. I just wondered if any of you that have the book could tell me which piece is easiest to play, as I'm a beginner.

I was thinking perhaps Bells of Scotland would be the best to start with.

Thanks.

Gaby
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
When I got that book I started with Fur Elise. But I must admit I play some of the notes tabbed for the fourth string on the first as I found that easier.

Of the top off my head, Cherry Blossoms was also not too hard.

ukeatan
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
^^ Gaby's thinking of The Classical Ukulele.

In Famous Solos & Duets, I'd say Blue Bells of Scotland is a good place to start in that book, but the variation is a bit harder and worth saving for later.

Lauia is a nice slow piece, only chords, no fingerpicking.

Hene, Ei Nei, Polka-Mazurka, and Ka Wehi are also all nice pieces and pretty good to start with.

Spanish Fandango is a little tricky, but good for working on fingerpicking patterns.

Enjoy! It's a fun book.

Aunt Betty
01-31-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree, it is a fun book, so is the The Classical Ukulele. You can download the tabs for What Child Is This which is the same as Greensleeves in the book. Here is the website: http://www.nalu-music.com/ukulele-tablature/ I am a beginner as well.

Gipserio
01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks all! I actually gave Blue Bells of Scotland a try last night and found exactly as you say, ukeatan, the variation so much harder than the first bit. I think I'll take your advice and go for Lauia to begin with.