Oceana Ukes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bumping this old post because it looks like it really never got answered. I have been wondering about these ukes for some time now and there really is very little to go on when you start searching for reviews. There has to be someone from the forum that owns one of these. I'd love to hear any thoughts/opinions from past or present owners of Oceana ukes. What is your impression of build quality, sound, playability? Any other brands/models to compare? Thanks!

Zack, I think that's his name, makes some excellent ukuleles here in the Puget Sound area. He was introduced to instrument building in South America and still has some association with folks down there. He seems to make a beautiful ukulele and folks here like them. I have not personally played them but I do think they are solid players. They are for sale in Dusty Strings which I think is a good recommendation.

I'm really curious about these as well. Did some research myself and found almost nothing. A tenor just sold on ebay yesterday for 1075$. There is a video of Aldrine playing one on youtube. Yes, Zac is the name of the luthier and I've been waiting for an email reply to questions for 2 days. Any owners out there ?

I think they'll be at the WCUF this weekend . . .

I own a solid Spanish Cedar tenor Oceana uke. It sounds amazing. The overall feel of the uke is quite desirable. If I had to dispose of my uke collection this would probably be one of the last five to go.

Hi Guys!
I have a couple Oceana ukulele's in my collection, a beaut cedar concert and a lovely tenor. Zac Steimle , owner of Oceana Ukuleles, lives about 30 minutes from me in Port Orchard. He has been in his new digs for only a few months, so is working like mad to get his workshop set up, and get to building ukes. The two I have were made by his partner in Ecuador, stunning work- Zac's phone # 253 -327-9583 give him a call!

Glad to see some replies to this one. I had a feeling they were pretty nice ukes, but there is very little to base that on, since I've never held one in my hand. I emailed Zac with a few questions, and he got back to me the same day. I was mostly asking questions about custom work (radiused fretboards, slotted headstocks, etc. - all of which are available options from Zac), and then some discussion about top woods and tone woods, particularly sinker tops. He was pretty thorough in his reply and seems like real decent guy. If his ukes are as great of players as they are beautiful, I sure hope he is successful with his business. It's become a competitive builders market and it would be a shame for his ukes to continue to fly under the radar.

That dude kind of freaks me out. (Sorry, if there are a lot of Bartt fans out there.)

He freaks me out period !

Man, I laughed so hard watching this video.....the way he smiles and raises his eyebrows.
Still a very good video. Very interesting to hear all the different sounds

Hmm ... I searched for "Oceana" to contribute some kind words for the very cool Oceana ukes, and discovered two people have been "freaked out" somehow.

I'm glad you watched the vid, sjshiner and coriandre, and certainly it's all in the spirit of fun. But really ... how on Earth were you freaked out?

Hello Mr Bartt,

I really didnt mean no offense but can see how it could be interpreted this way. I did like the video for the variety of instrument being played and the different acoustics. But I also saw this video like if it was a comedy, I laughed so hard. This is what I meant by he freaks me out. This is what I thought sjshiner meant also. English is not my first language and I am sorry if I misused the expression "freaks me out"

I have seen some other videos you have made and for example find the version of Kashmir you have done with James Hill incredibly inspired.
I am sorry if my comment offended you and really, it was not meant to offend.

Hi, Coriandre -
No offense taken at all! I thought it was funny! Besides, these message boards are here for people to say whatever they want. Feel free!

Anyway, I do like to put some nonsense in my vids, so yeah, it was meant to be a little silly. It's all good!

Bartt, you freak me out and I kinda like it! Thanks for being funny and being a great Uke'r to boot!

Oh, by the way, great video and the Oceana did hold its own.

Hmm ... I searched for "Oceana" to contribute some kind words for the very cool Oceana ukes, and discovered two people have been "freaked out" somehow.

I'm glad you watched the vid, sjshiner and coriandre, and certainly it's all in the spirit of fun. But really ... how on Earth were you freaked out?

So sorry, Bartt. I suppose I misinterpretted your sense of humor and good nature. I'm an engineer and a pretty analytical person in general. I was expecting a dry technical comparison of ukes in the video. I think I was just caught off guard by your style. Looking at it now, I suppose it's refreshing to see someone inject some humor and joy into what they do. I'll try to take a more light-hearted aproach in the future (which is probably a good rule to follow for life in general). That's what ukulele is all about anyway, right?

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. Appreciate your insight on the Oceana ukes, too.

I've got a tenor Oceana & it sounds incredible. In fact, I have tried many other brands including the ones that are commonly considered the best sounding. They sounded nowhere near as good as my Oceana. People frequently tell me that they didn't know a ukulele could sound that good, and it wasn't my sophicated playing they were talking about. I've been wanting to buy another uke for a year now, specifically a 14 fret, but I can't find one that competes with the sound of this one.

I spent a year on the wait list of a custom builder who most on this site consider the best builder out there. A few weeks ago this builder tells me that its my turn on his waitlist but he has changed his mind because I'm just not worthy of his craftmanship. Let me see. Do I want to give $2,000 to someone with questionable ethics & honor or $1,000 to someone who delivers a guitarlike sound in a beautiful instrument. I'm in Florence right now & the Italian musicians here think my Oceana is incredible.

I don't know what Zac Steimle is doing right now but I would go back to him without hesitation, and his instruments are a great value when compared with similar priced ukuleles. When you see an Oceana uke in a music store beside other uke's, the other brands look amatuerish due to their lack of finish & detail. And the same is true with the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom