Ohana Limited Edition TK75CG

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or played the new Ohana Limited Edition TK75CG uke? It's the one with maple sides and back and spruce top and all the abalone on it. I'm quite interested in a tenor but have absolutly no experience with Ohana. I've only talked with Mike at UkeRepublic and he raved about the concerts he had. Also, do you think the SRP of $569 is pretty much in line for one? I know I can get it for less, but is it in line to begin with.

Has anyone seen or played the new Ohana Limited Edition TK75CG uke? It's the one with maple sides and back and spruce top and all the abalone on it. I'm quite interested in a tenor but have absolutly no experience with Ohana. I've only talked with Mike at UkeRepublic and he raved about the concerts he had. Also, do you think the SRP of $569 is pretty much in line for one? I know I can get it for less, but is it in line to begin with.

I have been using one for a while now. It is the main uke I use when I attend festivals. I took it to the NAMM recently too.

It is a beautiful instrument with all-solid woods. The most striking thing about it apart from it's looks is the volume. It is the loudest ukulele (apart from resos) that I have ever played.

I realise that I don't have to pay forthe one I use, but I believe that the RRP is fair. Be aware that they are difficult to get however. There are very few of them about.

Here is the latest video I recorded using it.

Recorded at Annaheim a couple of weeks ago.

My loudest uke is the Howlett Helsinki Soprano. The Ohana is really louder than a Howlett? True, I haven't tried a tenor, and I know that louder doesn't equal better, but that's some amazing stuff right there. And it's even very pretty.

My loudest uke is the Howlett Helsinki Soprano. The Ohana is really louder than a Howlett? True, I haven't tried a tenor, and I know that louder doesn't equal better, but that's some amazing stuff right there. And it's even very pretty.

Of course volume isn't everything. But it usually shows that the body is vibrating well. This is a definite plus point for this uke. It also uses some very lovely woods and has a wonderful tone.

It is very much louder than my Howlett tenor. In fact it is louder than any Howlett I have tried, and I have tried quite a few. However, Howlett ukes are hand-made by an expert and have a tone to die for. This is what makes then great. They also have an understated beauty that I very much like.

Tk75CG on the way

I ordered one one from Elderly way back in July. They called me a few days ago and informed me it was in but had a few issues (finish drip and a mark on the back) They also said the action was quite high. They are lowering it and shipping it out. The FedEx guy might be playing it now. Anyway, the price was $379 when I placed the order. The good folks at Elderly knocked some off because of the finish issues so I may have gotten a bargain on a very hard to find uke. I'll post a review in a few days if it actually arrives.

Of course volume isn't everything. But it usually shows that the body is vibrating well. This is a definite plus point for this uke. It also uses some very lovely woods and has a wonderful tone.

It is very much louder than my Howlett tenor. In fact it is louder than any Howlett I have tried, and I have tried quite a few. However, Howlett ukes are hand-made by an expert and have a tone to die for. This is what makes then great. They also have an understated beauty that I very much like.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that the Ohana must be better than your great Howlett tenor. I just know how loud my soprano is, and that's really very loud. It's great for a less expensive brand to make something that looks beautiful, sounds wonderful, can be taken out in public, and is loud enough to cut through all the noise. It's just nice to have options. :)

congrats! I've had a crush on the concert version for a few months now. post pics when you get it!

I just got my CK-75CG. I am in love. The small flaws on the back are tiny black stains in the wood and do not bother me at all. The final finish is flawless. Instantly, it seems, my playing improved.
...well, it would be hard for it to get worse.
:eek:)

Pictures, please! :)

UkeRepublic has let me play one of his concerts. I'll admit that I was pleasently impressed with this uke. Ver beautiful and very nice sounding. The only thing I didn't like was the cutout. I like the Mele stle cutaway more. To my eyes this ohana might be the prettiest non curly koa uke available.

My Tk 75 CG arrived safely Thursday in a box that, despite the "Handle with Care" printed on the outside was mashed. Fortunately the uke was unharmed. Beautiful instrument and the sound is amazing. Well worth the wait. Mine also came from Elderly as did Aunt Betty's. The folks there are top notch! The finish "drip" that they called to tell me about took me about a half hour to locate. More of a ripple at the cutaway area. Looks like a bit too much finish was applied. You really have to look to find it. A couple of other finish issues hardly worth mentioning. Anyway they really scrutinize things and let you know before they ship them out. I expected worse. I'll try to figure out how to upload pictures and will try my hand at a review in the next few days. Very, very nice uke!

Last edited:
I agreee with 44fanatic about Elderly.

Here are a few pictures of the concert to include the free hard case and the two small black spots. I love all my ukulele children, but this one is something special. I even like the little back spots; I like the Elderly folks even more.

Glad your tenor is ok.

Attachments

• P2060005.jpg
    P2060005.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 52
  • P2060001.jpg
    P2060001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 54
  • P2060003.jpg
    P2060003.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 46
I agreee with 44fanatic about Elderly.

Here are a few pictures of the concert to include the free hard case and the two small black spots. I love all my ukulele children, but this one is something special. I even like the little back spots; I like the Elderly folks even more.

Glad your tenor is ok.

I also agree about Elderley.

The ukulele looks beautiful. Incredibly light, isn't it? Congratulations.

My Tk 75 CG arrived safely Thursday in a box that, despite the "Handle with Care" printed on the outside was mashed. Fortunately the uke was unharmed. Beautiful instrument and the sound is amazing...

I am pleased that the instrument arrived safely for you. I sometimes think that putting a "Handle With Care" or "Fragile" sticker on it actually provokes some (just a few) people to throw it about. I once had a real argument with the guy in my local post office office because he threw a parcel (with ukulele inside) labelled "Fragile" onto the floor.

I posted a review on the "Ukulele Reviews" thread and a couple of photos, if anyone's interested. Aunt Betty's photo skills are better than mine.

Top Bottom