What is the most mellow concert?

Aunt Betty

Reaction score
I am looking fora mellow sounding concert...well, as mellow as a concert can be.

I have found these words and mellow (warm or rich) in the same sentances: mahogany, pineapple, and Worth strings (brown?).

Do you think that a Mele mahogony concert pinapple with Worth strings (and maybe a low G) would be about as mellow as I can get?

My hands asked me not to change to a tennor (they are easily confused).

Thanks!

Maybe a Mango with Worth Brown Strings. Koa is mellow too.
–Lori

I'd recommend either James Taylor or Jack Johnson - I hear they both have pretty mellow concerts... And what's all this talk about endangered feces?

Thank you. I am learning. By the way, my son just came back from Iraq. We lived in Kuwait for two years (my husband was in the Army). Life is an adventure - - ukuleles just make it more fun.
:eek:)

I am looking fora mellow sounding concert...well, as mellow as a concert can be.

I have found these words and mellow (warm or rich) in the same sentances: mahogany, pineapple, and Worth strings (brown?).

Do you think that a Mele mahogony concert pinapple with Worth strings (and maybe a low G) would be about as mellow as I can get?

My hands asked me not to change to a tennor (they are easily confused).

Thanks!

Aunt Betty,
First welcome to UU. Next in your quest for mellowness it isn't neccesarily the company. I am a huge fan of Mele. Some say I am the unofficial voice for Mele here on UU. What you need is a wood type. Most say that mahaghany is a mellow sound or mango. I personally don't know what mellow really means even though I use it to describe mahaghany wooded ukes. Most folks say that koa is bright but Lori says that it is mellow. I trust Lori b/c she appears to know what she is talking about. I label koa as bright b/c that is what everyone else labels koa as. So hopefully I haven't confused you. I would suggest a Mele as a great midrange strarter instrument.

Most folks say that koa is bright but Lori says that it is mellow. I trust Lori b/c she appears to know what she is talking about. I label koa as bright b/c that is what everyone else labels koa as..

Because of the vast differences in the densities of koa, it can be, and is, both depending upon the particular set of wood used in construction.
Beyond the wood itself, a good builder will be able to make adjustments in the building procedures to either brighten up or tone down an instrument within obvious limits. So don't discount a particular manufacturer or brand when looking for specific sound qualities. Generally, a builder may be known for their particular sound depending upon how they build.

Last edited:
Like Chuck here for instance.

Known for making a uke that will sing like an angel. ;)

Generally woods make less of a difference in the sound of an instrument than the builder in my experiences. Don't get me wrong, woods do make a difference, but the only fair way to make a comparison is to compare two identical builds by one luthier with the only difference between them being the woods used.

Aunt Betty, that seems like it would be a pretty mellow sounding uke. I don't think you'd be disappointed with that purchase.

I salute your husband. Please thank him for serving our country.

Ohana makes a few laminated ukes with solid wood tops that are more mellow and durable in that combination. The CK-20CE is a recent addition to their lineup and a very nicely made ukulele. It is sweet and mellow. I love the added pickup, too.

Thank you - everyone. There is a lot of tallent at UU; I appreciate your insight...as well as your absolutely beautiful ukulees and music (Autmn Leaves).

I really like the Ohanas, but I have one and want to try another manufacturer (that I can afford). I was looking at thier mahogany soprano pineapple, but wanted to stay with conceerts. Their prices are pretty good.

Thank you (from my husband).

The Mele may be it, but I need to take my time, look at all I can....and show restraint. The more I can learn, the more ukuleles I can listen to, the more informed decision I can make. I should probably look and see what is available in Seattle; it is only about an hour ferry ride away. A trip to Hawaii would be nice - - it would make the ukulele even more meaningful. (yeah, right)

I'll let you know what I decide. I have told myself to wait 6 months.

...unless there is a fantastic sale.

Thanks again,
Betty
:eek:)

good luck waiting 6 months. I give you 3 months...max :D

I agree with Seeso, I don't think you'd regret buying a concert Mahogany pineapple by MELE. I have their solid Koa version and love mine.

The same uke can sound very bright or very mellow depending on the player. Don't use your fingernails and and your uke will instantly sound more mellow. Another trick is to use cheap strings. My concert mahogany Mele pineapple sounded pretty mellow (dead) with the stock strings - GHS I think. Once I put Worth Clears on it, it really perked it up.

Welcome, Aunt Betty.

You might also have a look at thr Mainland pineapples. Beautiful instruments, in your price range.

I own a Mainland mango concert and think it would fit your requirements to a 'T'. An awesome sounding, mellow uke. You'd love it.

Top Bottom