Hong Kong

JCMcGee

Reaction score
Woop...I'm going to play a gig in Honk Kong!!!!

I'm getting flown from London 6500 miles to play a gg and put on a fashion show with my girlfriend....I'm soo excited!

Anyone know of the Hong Kong ukulele scene & where I may find it?

Anyone got advice on how to spend 5 days there?

Oooooh so close to Hawaii and yet so far!

My girlfriend Eleanor, the talented and good looking uke player in the band, when she's not traveling all over the place playing uke she is a dress designer: http://digforvictoryclothing.com

BF2007-0344.jpg

The nerd inside of me totally saw Pikachus in the right dress.

But anyway, as far as I can tell, the ukulele scene in HK is basically nonexistant. They don't seem to be very big on acoustic guitars either. But they do love their electric guitars and pianos. I'm sure they'll find the ukulele to be a very interesting instrument when you play it there.

As for how to spend 5 days there? Shop and eat nonstop. Best place in the world for doing those two activities. :)

Oh I'm so looking forward to the food...should be amazing.
The people who have organised the trip have already mentioned ducks feet and pigeons with their heads on!!

...and I'l be able to pick up one of those nice mainland ukes ;-)

Have fun as it looks like it could be a cool gig.

Birth of the HK ukulele undergound...

Hi Jimmy! Bizzare coincidence, I was looking for THIS guy http://www.ukehk.com/ but found you first.
(Jane and I are putting you on in HK :) He just opened up shop last year, and we've asked him if he wants a free stall at the gig.

Anyway, while you're in HK you will BE the ukulele underground! It will be the glorious kick-start for a four-string cultural revolution, or at least that's my hope ;)

not had much luck with mainland ukes: they make just about everything over the border in Shenzhen, but it's all exported and pretty hard to find. I do know a cheapo music shop here where you can get 50 dollar ukes that are, well, that's less than a fiver, so not great. BUT the do have "hawaii" printed on teh outside :) but i've bought both my ukes back in the uk (a fluke and a Kiwaya both from the duke of uke)

BUT, looks like we might be heading to the Philippines next week (last minute holiday) ill keep an eye out there...

P.S. The pigeon is great, the chicken feet, well, ill let you decide for yourself ;)

Hi! I live in Hong Kong.
If I happend to read this early, I could have shown you the places to go!
Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Damn, I just read this now! :D If you're ever in HK again, let me know!

And yes, Sam at www.ukehk.com is really nice, definitely send him an email if anyone is in HK and is in need of some uke lovin'. There's also a facebook "Hong Kong Ukulele Club" page.

Top Bottom