PDA

View Full Version : Uke Lesson 26 - Europa

anaka
02-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey UUers - This month's ep of Uke Lessons is up!

Uke Lesson 26 - Europa (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2010/02/01/uke-lesson-26-europa/)

This one is a pretty simple version of Europa for you to build on. The sky is the limit with this song - you can add slides, hammer-ons, phrasing, improvisation, whatever you like! Santana definitely put his soul into this song, so we'd love to see the kinds of stuff you guys throw into the mix. Thoughts, ideas, questions, comments, video links to your own version of Europa - post them all below!

gatorbrit
02-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Santana is awesome - thanks so mych for this great lesson! Really nicely done.

wickedwahine11
02-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Yay!!!!! That is my all time favorite song on the ukulele. I love Herb Ohta Jr.'s version, Brittni Paiva's version, and the K Town Heroes version. It is also my Mom's favorite song so it will be great to learn to play for her. Thanks guys, I can't wait to start learning how to play it...

dnewton2
02-01-2010, 05:30 AM
I have been wanting to learn this for a while. Can't wait to watch it. Thanks guys.

HaileISela
02-01-2010, 10:09 AM
this is fantastic! It's the first instrumental that I think I'm able to learn. I could get it from the lesson very quick, but now have to learn it really^^

great job on that!

SuperSecretBETA
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Dm makes me feel sad... lol

PaulGeo
02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Not sure if I want to watch it or not... been working on Ohta Jr. version for a long while :)

cpatch
02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Did I miss something? What happened to #25?

KoloheBoy
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I was going to make my first ever video on youtube playing this song, but didn't realize how many people on youtube have already covered this that would make me look ridiculous.:drool:

ukumic
02-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Thank you very much! Can't wait to learn it.

anaka
02-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Did I miss something? What happened to #25?

Thanks for catching that, cpatch - I think we just forgot to tag the lesson last month! If you click on the Ukulele Lessons tab (http://ukuleleunderground.com/category/ukulele-lessons/), it should show up now.

Shamu
02-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Excellent lesson, even for a beginner like me! I love the way the song is broken down.

Though one of the dots on the timeline is new, some Hijacker - Cheryl2x has put a wonderful link for us if we're interested in selling cheap gold on the internet! I wish we could hunt down internet spammers like the vermin they are! :rolleyes:

anaka
02-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Though one of the dots on the timeline is new, some Hijacker - Cheryl2x has put a wonderful link for us if we're interested in selling cheap gold on the internet! I wish we could hunt down internet spammers like the vermin they are! :rolleyes:

Woah, I didn't even see that! Target acquired, message destroyed.

ROBERTO.ROBOTO
02-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I was having some trouble going from C7 to F and then Am and Dm. I understood the pattern for Gm and C7; it seemed to be the entire strumming pattenr, but when it came to F and the chords after I seemed to get lost.
I'm sorry if I'm not getting through, I'm not sure if I have all the proper terminology ( I have only been playing for a couple months). If you can't explain or if it's too difficult to explain that's fine, I think I can get it if I watch the tutorial enough.
Thanks!

Rod
02-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Been working on this song for the last 3 days. I think I have it down for the most part and I am proud to say this is the first finger-picking song I can play from beginning to end!

Here is my shortened version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLAudeoQlyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLAudeoQlyk

Thanks Aldrine and crew for this wonderful lesson!

ritzer012
02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I was having some trouble going from C7 to F and then Am and Dm. I understood the pattern for Gm and C7; it seemed to be the entire strumming pattenr, but when it came to F and the chords after I seemed to get lost.
I'm sorry if I'm not getting through, I'm not sure if I have all the proper terminology ( I have only been playing for a couple months). If you can't explain or if it's too difficult to explain that's fine, I think I can get it if I watch the tutorial enough.
Thanks!

hey roberto!
that tripped me up in the beginning too. the gm and the c7 are the full strum pattern dux uudxud then the f and the am are just duxudu and then dm is the full pattern. same thing for the second set of chords. the gm and a7 are the full strum pattern and then dm and a7 are the shortened duxudu followed by the full pattern of dm but its just muted so the chord doesnt ring out for that last pattern.

good luck!

ROBERTO.ROBOTO
02-09-2010, 03:44 PM
ahhh thanks so much! I have been dying to get the full song and now I shoul be able to.

Pyrateknight
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I made a tab of the lesson for a visual aid for those who want it.
Link (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?27107-Europa-Santana-%28as-transcribed-by-Aldrine-Guerrero%29&p=327759#post327759)

cabby
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
my brother and i performing europa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcG5Cxm86mM

thanks for the great tutorial UU :]

johncaudrey
02-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Excellent lesson by Aldrine! Very easy to work from and thanks Pyrateknight for your tab, I recently tabbed it all out myself, but yours is much neater!

kjmillig1
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
All I see is a white box. There's no video.

UkeAl
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Question: I have learned Europa, all parts, however, I am having trouble with the strum. I just cannot concentrate on the left hand picking and keep the pattern up. Could you recommend a simplier strum pattern that would work. I am going to play it with a friend in public in the near future. We will switch between the lead and the chord pattern as you suggested. Aldrine, thank you so much for your wonderful video lessons. I have learned several songs using your lessons, that would have never learned on my own. Thank you so much. I will be in HI in September for my 50th High School reunion. I attended Radford High School in 1961-62, on Oahu. Aloha.

UkeAl
02-17-2011, 02:34 AM
Great job in teaching as always. I am having trouble with the strum, can you or anyone offer a simpler strum that would work with Europa? (second request)

al0hab0y
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
What was the picking pattern that you used on the improv parts? From the top of C7 thru Dm, after the strum you were picking C and E string first or visa versa? Thanks for all the video lessons, you've made a difference and I improved 10 times then I was a month ago. Mahalo Nui

Also I'd love to see Aldrine to something for Anjuli from Hapa.