Desperately in need of a lesson - England

rossjburns

Reaction score
Hello all - brand new to the Ukulele, never so much as plucked the strings on a guitar and I desperately need some help!
Does anyone know of anyone who teaches and is based Surrey/Hampshire area??
Any comments welcomed!!
Many thanks all
Ross

No, But. . . .

I'd search Ukulele Mike on youtube and go to alllllll the way to the bottom for his beginner lessons. Work your way through those, then start looking for songs you like. If you are hoping to be a strum and sing guy, you can go a long, long way without a lesson. Good luck and remember -- if it's not fun, you're not doing it right!

Also, try the Ukulele Nights web-site, they're a club based here in Wales but they have downloadable songbooks with loads of easy beginners songs and loads of links to other cool ukulele stuff. The sites at:

http://www.ukenights.org.uk/

Good luck and welcome to the uke world!...

I live in pompey?

Hey Ross

I was where you are on April 17th 2009. So here's what worked for me.

1.Trawl the web for uke chord charts - easy enough to find . Learn C, F, G, Am - discipline yourself .
2. Faff and practice every day - 20 minutes or 2hrs - either will do.
3. Find simple 3 or 4 chord songs that you like - for me it was "take on me" (aha), "whisky in the jar" and "the out door type
- Bore yourself stupid learning them but have fun! and strum your way
4. Set yourself a target - learn one new chord a week and change between other chords smoothly
5 Check out the "musicteacher on YT - in valuable.
6. Check out Krabbers on YT - No lessons but brilliant & gifted simplicity
7. Have fun .
8. Hunt down and watch every body you can on YT who looks like the'll give you a free lesson.
9. Learn songs and tunes that you enjoy/love/appreciate - you'll learn faster
10. In 9 months time pass on what worked for you to another newbie.

Uke'n is fun.....enjoy!

Cheers

Stew

Last edited:
Don't forget all the lessons and stuff Aldrine has here. He is a master teacher. I know how to chunk now.

I live a long way from any ukulele teachers, so I take lessons via Skype and, while not as good as in person, it is working for me. Contact tad at taddreis@gmail.com if you care to. I hope I am not violating a UU rule . If so, please let me know senior members.

To the OP, I'm a uke teacher in the south of England. I've sent you a PM, check your inbox.

Come to Brighton..big uke scene here including
The Bobby McGees
Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer (You're from Surrey you say? check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7J7vXCf5w )
Sophie Madeleine
The Half Sisters
All of them have myspace pages and youtube videos
Just down the road in Worthing there is the Wukulel get togethers, have a look on Facebook.

In all seriousness it's the one of the very best original ukulele scenes in the world.

and of course the worlds greatest ukulele open(ish) mic' night The Ukulele Research & Development Society
Next one is 15th Feb at the latest 7 music bar, mancgester st, kemptown, Brighton.

Best place for UK ukulele info is ukulele cosmos:
http://www.ukulelecosmos.com/

Top Bottom