i need some suggestions...

xvdragonx

Reaction score
hey everyone!!! i new to the forum and the whole ukulele thing, so i have a question for you guys/girls. I was looking into buying a uke but i dunno what to buy. The thing is that i'm not the type to just buy something that is mediocre, if you know what what i mean....so i've been doing some research and i've narrowed down what i want....a concert in koa wood....something that looks sexy :D...and maybe around 3-400 at most....what should i get that both looks sexy and sounds good? lmk please
-Brian

Well, you won't find anything in solid Koa wood in that price range. All the Koa models in that price range will be laminates. Which isn't horrible! Many people on this forum have laminate Koa ukuleles and they love them.

That said, I'd take a look at ukuleles from Koa Pili Koko. They're made from the same family of tree as Koa, and they're solid wood. No laminates. I wish that I'd known about them before I bought my Kala.

Here's a picture of a Koa Pili Koko:

koa-pili-koko-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think Seeso is right, you'll have a hard time finding a solid koa concert in that price range, but you might check out Pono. There's a concert on this page for $419.
http://www.ukes.com/pono-exotic.html

With a Ko'olau hardcase that seems like a pretty good deal.

I have also heard good things about Ohana ukes, and they might have a koa concert in your price range. Try www.ukuleleworld.com

Ok, so I contacted the seller. I wrote that it looked like a soprano andmost sopranos have 12 frets. Here is his response:

What specific size are you looking for?
There are no hard fast rules with uke sizes. It isn't specifically about the number of frets, but more it's about the body size and scale length. Some concerts have soprano scale necks but larger bodies, some don't. There are even supersopranos & superconcerts, which combine elements of the different models.
Mele is calling this their concert size uke.
Thanks,

wow. not only was that obviously incorrect advertising, but the seller was adamant about it. its obviously a soprano. buncha crock of you ask me. i would have given the benefit of the doubt, but if the seller is just going to give a holier than thou attitude about it while being totally wrong, then maybe that seller should go on the "watch yo a$$" list.

I emailed him the link to the Mele website. Here is how he responded.:

Ah, now I understand! :)
According to Mele, it's soprano but the body is a concert size body when measured against all of our other concert sizes ukes here in the shop. So basically it's a soprano scale with a concert body. We always go by body size here, so we called it a concert.
Thanks,

they go by body size, i go by turd size. While their initial ad was horsecrap, the turd size increased with their responses, elevating the turd factor to bullcrap.

even if their story made sense, which it obviously does not, who the hell would want a concert body with a soprano neck???

they go by body size, i go by turd size. While their initial ad was horsecrap, the turd size increased with their responses, elevating the turd factor to bullcrap.

LMAO!!!!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well at least he was big enough to admit he was wrong. Oh wait...

It's a shame that someone is going to buy it and not know what they're buying. Oh well. I'm off to find one of those concert body models with a soprano neck.. :D

thanks for the advice? hahaha i found a nice one on ebay thats SO sexy hahaha but i think itsgonna end up out of m price range

I have the Uke you want

I'm selling my Cordoba soprano ukulele. It's an all solid-wood instrument. It sports a solid KOA top, back, and sides, with an ebony finger board, a bone nut and saddle, and rope binding and rosette. My Cordoba plays well, sounds sweet, and looks elegant. I'm selling it for $190 (plus actual shipping), including a Lanikai hard case. It's in mint condition. PM me if you want to buy it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• uke-in-case.jpg
    uke-in-case.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
That seller really is the Old Town School of Folk Music...a great place in Chicago and the venue for Jake's concert there a few weeks ago. I certainly wouldn't put them in the "trying to rip you off" category...it is a non-profit purveyor of traditionl music. I think the individual was simply uninformed...looks like he edited the listing to read soprano now anyway.

Top Bottom