PDA

View Full Version : i need some suggestions...

xvdragonx
05-11-2008, 08:26 PM
hey everyone!!! i new to the forum and the whole ukulele thing, so i have a question for you guys/girls. I was looking into buying a uke but i dunno what to buy. The thing is that i'm not the type to just buy something that is mediocre, if you know what what i mean....so i've been doing some research and i've narrowed down what i want....a concert in koa wood....something that looks sexy :D...and maybe around 3-400 at most....what should i get that both looks sexy and sounds good? lmk please
-Brian

seeso
05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, you won't find anything in solid Koa wood in that price range. All the Koa models in that price range will be laminates. Which isn't horrible! Many people on this forum have laminate Koa ukuleles and they love them.

That said, I'd take a look at ukuleles from Koa Pili Koko. They're made from the same family of tree as Koa, and they're solid wood. No laminates. I wish that I'd known about them before I bought my Kala.

Here's a picture of a Koa Pili Koko:

http://ukulelereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/koa-pili-koko-1.jpg

Ukulele Dude
05-12-2008, 04:41 AM
I think Seeso is right, you'll have a hard time finding a solid koa concert in that price range, but you might check out Pono. There's a concert on this page for $419.
http://www.ukes.com/pono-exotic.html

With a Ko'olau hardcase that seems like a pretty good deal.

I have also heard good things about Ohana ukes, and they might have a koa concert in your price range. Try www.ukuleleworld.com

deach
05-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Here's one on ebay. mele solid koa concert (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mele-Solid-Koa-Concert-Size-Ukulele-Uke_W0QQitemZ160239944625QQihZ006QQcategoryZ16224Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

NotoriousMOK
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Here's one on ebay. mele solid koa concert (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mele-Solid-Koa-Concert-Size-Ukulele-Uke_W0QQitemZ160239944625QQihZ006QQcategoryZ16224Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

am i blind?? while the ad says concert, that sure looks like a soprano :confused:

deach
05-12-2008, 08:29 AM
am i blind?? while the ad says concert, that sure looks like a soprano :confused:

No, it seems that I'm blind. I wonder if the seller knows.:confused:

deach
05-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok, so I contacted the seller. I wrote that it looked like a soprano andmost sopranos have 12 frets. Here is his response:

What specific size are you looking for?
There are no hard fast rules with uke sizes. It isn't specifically about the number of frets, but more it's about the body size and scale length. Some concerts have soprano scale necks but larger bodies, some don't. There are even supersopranos & superconcerts, which combine elements of the different models.
Mele is calling this their concert size uke.
Thanks,

russ_buss
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
according to the number of fret marker dots on the ebay posting, it definitely looks like a soprano.

from the mele website:
http://www.meleukulele.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Koa+Ukuleles

NukeDOC
05-12-2008, 10:00 AM
wow. not only was that obviously incorrect advertising, but the seller was adamant about it. its obviously a soprano. buncha crock of you ask me. i would have given the benefit of the doubt, but if the seller is just going to give a holier than thou attitude about it while being totally wrong, then maybe that seller should go on the "watch yo a$$" list.

deach
05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I emailed him the link to the Mele website. Here is how he responded.:

Ah, now I understand! :-)
According to Mele, it's soprano but the body is a concert size body when measured against all of our other concert sizes ukes here in the shop. So basically it's a soprano scale with a concert body. We always go by body size here, so we called it a concert.
Thanks,

NotoriousMOK
05-12-2008, 10:40 AM
they go by body size, i go by turd size. While their initial ad was horsecrap, the turd size increased with their responses, elevating the turd factor to bullcrap.

even if their story made sense, which it obviously does not, who the hell would want a concert body with a soprano neck???

deach
05-12-2008, 10:44 AM
they go by body size, i go by turd size. While their initial ad was horsecrap, the turd size increased with their responses, elevating the turd factor to bullcrap.

LMAO!!!!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

NukeDOC
05-12-2008, 10:47 AM
if thats a concert sized body, im john holmes

NotoriousMOK
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
haha size DOES matter!

Dominator
05-12-2008, 11:58 AM
The Ebay add says it has 15 frets but me only counts 12.:eek:

Plainsong
05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Well at least he was big enough to admit he was wrong. Oh wait...

It's a shame that someone is going to buy it and not know what they're buying. Oh well. I'm off to find one of those concert body models with a soprano neck.. :D

xvdragonx
05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
thanks for the advice? hahaha i found a nice one on ebay thats SO sexy hahaha but i think itsgonna end up out of m price range

Renaissance-Man
05-15-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm selling my Cordoba soprano ukulele. It's an all solid-wood instrument. It sports a solid KOA top, back, and sides, with an ebony finger board, a bone nut and saddle, and rope binding and rosette. My Cordoba plays well, sounds sweet, and looks elegant. I'm selling it for $190 (plus actual shipping), including a Lanikai hard case. It's in mint condition. PM me if you want to buy it.
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183&d=1210870013

xvdragonx
05-15-2008, 10:03 AM
thanx for the offer, but i really want a concert

Nuke-ulele
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
That seller really is the Old Town School of Folk Music...a great place in Chicago and the venue for Jake's concert there a few weeks ago. I certainly wouldn't put them in the "trying to rip you off" category...it is a non-profit purveyor of traditionl music. I think the individual was simply uninformed...looks like he edited the listing to read soprano now anyway.

deach
05-15-2008, 10:29 AM
That seller really is the Old Town School of Folk Music...a great place in Chicago and the venue for Jake's concert there a few weeks ago. I certainly wouldn't put them in the "trying to rip you off" category...it is a non-profit purveyor of traditionl music. I think the individual was simply uninformed...looks like he edited the listing to read soprano now anyway.

Yeah he edited it a couple days ago.

For the price, I would have bought it if it were truly a concert. He actually had two sopranos listed as concerts! I wasn't trying to be a dick to him but he had it advertised as a 15 fret concert but displayed a soprano and I just wanted to make sure what it was before I bidded.

I don't think he was trying to rip anyone off either, but his attitude lost him a potential customer with severe UAS.

seeso
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Huh. I was just there today when I played the KoAloha soprano and I didn't see that Mele. It must have been the other store. There's two in the city.

Anyway, I agree. Old Town is a fantastic establishment. Many kudos to the fine folks that contribute to their ongoing success.

Howlin Hobbit
05-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Old Town is a fantastic establishment.

Isn't that where the Hump Day Thumpers jug band is from? Those folk rock like a big rockin' thing.

seeso
05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Isn't that where the Hump Day Thumpers jug band is from? Those folk rock like a big rockin' thing.

Why yes, it is.

menehunenyc
05-16-2008, 03:44 AM

Whoa, UU getting the jump on big time uke retailers, exerting the UU force and all to make things happen. All hail to UU.com. When will Rayan and Aldrine run for the Presidency?

1uke
05-25-2008, 07:51 AM
I emailed him the link to the Mele website. Here is how he responded.:

Ya Mele calls that the "jumbo soprano"... Anyways a Mele Solid Koa Concert Goes for 400$... Here's the link:
http://www.meleukulele.com/ (http://www.meleukulele.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Koa+Ukuleles)

I have a Mele Solid Mahogany Concert and its sounds really really nice. It's said that the building process is started in the Philippines/Mexico but the finishing and setup is done in Maui. They sell good solid wood ukes for a reasonable price. The only difference between these and ukes that are more expensive is that the finish is a little nicer on higher end ukes. Plus Meles have a life time warranty and believe me they stand by it. If you have any questions you can just email the owner (Cheryl) and either she or one of the luthiers will answer it. So yes, I can say that I'm definetly satisfied with my Mele. :)