Near Miss

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I'm always complaining about my vari-foculs and how much I resent having to wear them but today they saved my eyes - I accidentally sprayed my face with cellulose lacquer... ruined my glasses, saved me a trip to A&E!

ustave bee thelow blood sugar level. I'd just been to the phlebotomist to have another unit of blood drained out of me - third one in as many weeks. The truly medaeival method for dealing with haemachromatosis... I was getting stuck to the workshop magnets :) (it's a 'tosis joke)

What? You don't get a 'tosis joke? Sheeesh........

I just did a web search and found out that Google Translator actually has a "Pete to American" option.

Last edited:
An unedumacated guess: "Must have been the low blood sugar level."

Now Pete should spray another pair of glasses with poly and we'll see which one has better tone.

Actually, the nitro should yellow in about... 20 years? That would give your eyes - I mean your glasses - some additional UV protection.

Anyway, glad you're OK.

Thank you so much guys - I start the day with a belly laugh and it all looks good. Must book an appointment with my doctor tho - can't seem to get up in the mornings...

I have a dozen pairs of cheap drug store readers of various powers in my shop. Most of them are covered with some kind of scmutz. Makes me glad I wear glasses.

no offense, but wearing safety glasses is common practice, at least it should be, if you're not already wearing 'em, take your cue from Pete, 'cause if he wasn't he could have lost something that we all take for granted. I think that Pete has to wear them, but this time they had worked to his benefit, when it could have easily gone otherwise, something quite similar happened to me with some paint thinner, luckily I was wearing my safety glasses, and have been ever since, like I said, if you're not already, you should be

Glad to hear you didnt get hurt Pete...but you should wear safety glasses homey. You gotta make that a "workshop rule"

You go out of your way to not use a table saw because of the danger, but you wont put on a $2 pair of cheapo safety glasses? shoot, spend $20 and get some really cool pimped out ones...you know, for "da ladies".

I just wrote all this and thought... "wait a minute...I dont wear them while I spray either"
So I figure you just may not think about it for spraying since apparently I dont either, dang it. Anyways, getting cool glasses for "da ladies" is still good idea...you know, for all the hot beach chicks trafficking through your shop.

Be careful out there Pete. I got some wood dust in my eye last year when I was routing something and ended up having to go to the eye doc because it irritated the heck out of the eye. I also hate my trifocals, especially when I weld. You can't see anything through those welding hoods anyway, so I usually just take em off (The trifocals, not the safety glasses) and get up close and personal.

Top Bottom