A Question for Beginners

I was confounded how I could have gone so long without stumbling upon this lovely little instrument.

I've been playing the guitar for years, so I found it a very easy transition.

When my mom played it, she had problems getting her hands to do two different things. But she has the coordination of a blind and deaf dog.

honestly, my biggest problem so far (and i'm still very much a beginner) is getting my left hand to do what its told on the fretboard. it would be so much easier if I had two right hands.

I found the different types of tuning confusing at first. Also deciding what size and which brand of Uke would be a good first choice for me. Still struggling with how to hold the thing. I may try a strap soon!

Tom

I guess I'm a little beyond absolute beginner these days, but only a little.

I remember the things that confused me:

1) What was with that weird G string that was tuned an octave higher than nature intended?

2) How the heck do you pay an instrument that is NEVER in tune?

Fo me it was the right hand.
I had a little music expereince on wind instruments so my theory was ok. I knew what songs I wanted to play but it is taking me ages to get my right hand to remember the rhythms I need to approximate the way i hear the song in my head or on the CD player.
Now I know a few rhythms (and if I'm reminded of them can maintain them throughout a song) I keep falling back on one particular one. I get out of that habit and start a new one on another particular rhythm.
The way I've both learned the rhythms AND learned to vary them according to a song is by playing with other people who have a better right hand than me...:)

I agree with engravertom. To a beginner there appear to be a bewildering array of sizes, brands and types of ukuleles. Even after you get the size thing figured out, you are not sure which one you would be able to most easily play. Then you have to worry about solid wood, or laminate, tuners, etc. etc. I had some music background, so that part seemed easier than the uke selection.

I had the same problem as Ron! Keeping my right hand moving, strumming, in any consistent rhythm, was bewildering. I didn't think it would ever be possible. I was pretty seriously frustrated for quite a while. (And it's still something that doesn't come easily to me.)

No local expertise - music stores, musicians, etc.

My big issue is rhythm - getting the foot tapping thing going smoothly.
Similarly, I've been working on clawhammering. I have the movements down but I'm struggling to get the rhythm right. The learner videos are great because they go really slow but then jump to so fast its hard to figure out how it works to get that sound.

I would say my big issues as a beginner were: 1- Keeping the neck in position. (I move my hand a lot around the fretboard, and am used to classical guitar.) 2. Strum patterns/ chucking – I am still working on this with Ralph Shaw's DVD. 3. Researching the different sizes and brands of ukuleles, cases, and strings. This site is awesome for that info.
–Lori

Holding my uke and wrist position. I still don't have it down and kill my wrist on a daily basis. Because of this, I am having a very hard time with the B and E chords.

where to start, i never played an instrument, before, i was confused on everything! what kind to buy, then how to keep it in good condition, how to play, etc, but now i think im ok.

I still am a beginner.

- Holding the ukulele is...well, creative. I never seem to hold it the same way twice. (I have an old banjo ukulele) Changing chords can be difficult; I feel like am am going to drop the ukulele.

-Fitting my fingers on the tiny frets (and I don't have huge hands).

-Strumming; I think I have the split-stroke and the claw-hammer down. Tripples are getting there, the fan...? I still can't figure out how they are doing it. I sturm very s...l...o...w...l...y. I don't know if I will ever get there.

-Picking: the top high note takes some getting used to after years of playing Peter, Paul, and Mary songs on the guitar (long ago).

Well, I guess, just about everything is a challenge. But it is fun. I haven't asked my family to listen to too many of my performances though. My 86-year-old mother loves it. ...but she is my mother.

plunk-et-y-thud-thud, plunk-et-y, thud-thud (It is music to my ears.)

I still have problems getting my left hand to behave on the fretboard. I know what finger needs to lift or move, but instead another one does, and then I concentrate so hard that my right hand plucks the wrong string. Come on, I should be past that by now.

And reading tabs are headache-inducingly annoying. It would be easier to just siteread actual music notation, but I still can't with the uke. This is mostly because I find lessons boring, and I haven't practiced my scales like I should have.

Maybe that's it - lessons are boring. Even the UU ones, I can't concentrate on lessons when I just want to play.

And yes that is not the way to learn any instrument. No pain, no gain, but yup, that's where I am.

For me it was trying to switch chords that go from one side of the board down a few frets without stopping my strumming. It was mind boggling! I couldn't wrap my head around it to be honest. Still have problems with it, and still cant figure out how i do it when i do. I swear i am constantly juggling my Uke.

I was a guitar player, so the relocation of notes on the fretboard was confusing.

Also, in no particular order:

Telling laminates from solids
Holding the uke and changing chords without it falling out of my hands! (LOLZ)
Strumming; took me a week to figure out NOT to strum over the hole!
TUNING PEGS. They still confuse me (it's getting better)

I often prefer the sound of the over-the-hole strum, but my hand is held in a different strumming position than most youtubers I've seen. It's one of the few things I don't sweat because that's what I usually prefer.

I just hate this "I can read music fine, just not on a uke" thing. And it's completely my own fault.

The re-entrant tuning and the fact that notes aren't in the same places as on guitar. So I learned to fingerpick classical on uke by reading tab and all is well. :)
Same here. The re-entrant tuning just doesn't feel natural yet. I can't find a note by ear, I still have to fish for it on a couple of strings before finding the right one.

Top Bottom