FedEx is evil!!! Boo hiss!

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
So Tigeralum2001 and I swapped ukuleles, and we both shipped them via FedEx on Saturday using 3 day select, to be delivered on Wednesday. The amazing thing is that they actually got them there so fast that they are both sitting at our local facilities today, able to be put onto delivery trucks this morning (having arrived around 7am). The bad news is that my tracking status actually shows they went to deliver and put it back into the local facility with the notation, "Not due for delivery." :(

I have no right to complain, as we paid for Wednesday delivery, but it is so difficult to know that our ukuleles are right there, available for the taking. I think I would have preferred it was somewhere over the Midwest rather than in my hometown, sitting all by herself in a box.

But then my friends keep telling me they are going to stage an intervention, as I have lost all rationality and am crazy. This I already knew. But I still feel bad for our ukuleles, so close to their new owners, yet so far. And as I am the most impatient person in the world, I'm bouncing off the walls...the greedy impatient part of me says it would be great customer service and goodwill for them to deliver early. But the logical side says I know that they never would, as then who would pay for expedited shipping anymore. I'm really not mad at them, they owe me nothing. I'm just impatient.

I've had that happen myself... Not due for delivery, so it just sits in their warehouse. Argh! I don't see why they don't just deliver it and earn some karma points.

So Tigeralum2001 and I swapped ukuleles, and we both shipped them via FedEx on Saturday using 3 day select, to be delivered on Wednesday. The amazing thing is that they actually got them there so fast that they are both sitting at our local facilities today, able to be put onto delivery trucks this morning (having arrived around 7am). The bad news is that my tracking status actually shows they went to deliver and put it back into the local facility with the notation, "Not due for delivery." :(

I have no right to complain, as we paid for Wednesday delivery, but it is so difficult to know that our ukuleles are right there, available for the taking. I think I would have preferred it was somewhere over the Midwest rather than in my hometown, sitting all by herself in a box.

But then my friends keep telling me they are going to stage an intervention, as I have lost all rationality and am crazy. This I already knew. But I still feel bad for our ukuleles, so close to their new owners, yet so far. And as I am the most impatient person in the world, I'm bouncing off the walls...the greedy impatient part of me says it would be great customer service and goodwill for them to deliver early. But the logical side says I know that they never would, as then who would pay for expedited shipping anymore. I'm really not mad at them, they owe me nothing. I'm just impatient.

Hope I don't offend you but thr simple solution for this problem is...get in your car and go pick it up. All it takes is a phone call. If they aren't going to deliver until wed.you might as well go get it. That is what I'd do and that is what I have done. If they try to tell you you can't do that get upset. They will let you.

Hope I don't offend you but thr simple solution for this problem is...get in your car and go pick it up. All it takes is a phone call. If they aren't going to deliver until wed.you might as well go get it. That is what I'd do and that is what I have done. If they try to tell you you can't do that get upset. They will let you.

Thanks for the tip, but Tigeralum2001 already called FedEx to see if it was possible to go by there and pick it up and they said no.

John, I actually called them and they refused to let me do this. I was tempted to just show up and see if the pressure of seeing someone in person made it harder to say "no." Perhaps WW may have better luck. Also, perhaps I should play customer service roulette, but I don't know if they put notes on the package log.

John, I actually called them and they refused to let me do this. I was tempted to just show up and see if the pressure of seeing someone in person made it harder to say "no." Perhaps WW may have better luck. Also, perhaps I should play customer service roulette, but I don't know if they put notes on the package log.

Nope, I just called. It is a mile and a half from my house but they have to deliver it, I can't go pick it up either.

If they try to tell you you can't do that get upset. They will let you.

No offence intended, but I don't agree with this. Lots of words summed up: it's childish behaviour. This too (warning: swear words).

Call up and talk reasonably with their manager, maybe in terms of "I understand it was paid for x day delivery, but can't you guys underpromise and overdeliver?" and/or "it'll cost the company money to store, process and deliver the package... I can save you part of that cost, and it's one less job for your guys to deal with, helping your bottom line". Being polite and reasonable can often net you an honest explanation such as "unfortunately it'll cause a discrepancy that will make the bean counters furious, and it's my job on the line". Or maybe they'll be refreshed at talking to a sane, rational adult for a change and they'll invite you down to pick it up.

Either way, it's not worth reverting to childishness and upsetting a fedex phone-jockey because of your impatience with a ukulele delivery.

Either way, it's not worth reverting to childishness and upsetting a fedex phone-jockey because of your impatience with a ukulele delivery.

Whetu, I was neither childish nor unreasonable, and the FedEx customer service woman and I had a perfectly pleasant conversation. Am I impatient? Yes. Is Tigeralum2001 impatient? Probably yes too. But I was very polite to her and never once got upset. I used to work in retail management, and I think the world would be a better place if everyone did a stint in customer service, retail or waiting tables, we would all be more polite to each other. I've never met Tiger but have spoken with him numerous times, and I find it impossible to believe that he was anything less than polite to the FedEx officials on his end.

That politeness and reasonable discussion got us nowhere. I'm not really mad with FedEx, I'm just frustrated. If you had something you wanted 1.5 miles from your home, and they wouldn't let you pick it up, but rather told you, "Yes, I know it is in Pasadena, but we have to send it back to Los Angeles, then back to Pasadena because it is not due for delivery yet," I wager most people would be frustrated.

Still, I thanked her for looking into it and resigned myself to waiting until Wednesday for it to travel the 30 miles from my house, and 30 miles back to my house, when it currently sits 1.5 miles from my house. I think the behavior exhibited toward FedEx by both Tiger and myself was far more mature than it was childish. It doesn't mean we can't wish their decision had gone the other way.

As for Haolejohn, I believe he was trying to help...maybe the asking works in the FedEx offices in Georgia, but those in LA and South Carolina seem less inclined to bend the rules. I appreciate his advice, even if I choose not to take it, and don't wish to raise my voice or throw a tantrum. I'll just impatiently wait for the next 48 hours.

Thanks for the tip, but Tigeralum2001 already called FedEx to see if it was possible to go by there and pick it up and they said no.

That is BS. I'm telling you. I just had to go and pick upo my new lap top 2 or 3 weeks ago. They told me no at first but after convincing them of their errors for not delivering I was able to get it. you have to go to the hub but i'm telling you you can get it.

Last edited:
No offence intended, but I don't agree with this. Lots of words summed up: it's childish behaviour. This too (warning: swear words).

Call up and talk reasonably with their manager, maybe in terms of "I understand it was paid for x day delivery, but can't you guys underpromise and overdeliver?" and/or "it'll cost the company money to store, process and deliver the package... I can save you part of that cost, and it's one less job for your guys to deal with, helping your bottom line". Being polite and reasonable can often net you an honest explanation such as "unfortunately it'll cause a discrepancy that will make the bean counters furious, and it's my job on the line". Or maybe they'll be refreshed at talking to a sane, rational adult for a change and they'll invite you down to pick it up.

I never said get childish. i said get upset. there is a difference. I believe in love and logic. One can be upset and disappointed without being rude. At least that is how I operate. You get more accomplished through love and logic.

Whetu, I was neither childish nor unreasonable, and the FedEx customer service woman and I had a perfectly pleasant conversation. Am I impatient? Yes. Is Tigeralum2001 impatient? Probably yes too. But I was very polite to her and never once got upset. I used to work in retail management, and I think the world would be a better place if everyone did a stint in customer service, retail or waiting tables, we would all be more polite to each other. I've never met Tiger but have spoken with him numerous times, and I find it impossible to believe that he was anything less than polite to the FedEx officials on his end.

That politeness and reasonable discussion got us nowhere. I'm not really mad with FedEx, I'm just frustrated. If you had something you wanted 1.5 miles from your home, and they wouldn't let you pick it up, but rather told you, "Yes, I know it is in Pasadena, but we have to send it back to Los Angeles, then back to Pasadena because it is not due for delivery yet," I wager most people would be frustrated.

Still, I thanked her for looking into it and resigned myself to waiting until Wednesday for it to travel the 30 miles from my house, and 30 miles back to my house, when it currently sits 1.5 miles from my house. I think the behavior exhibited toward FedEx by both Tiger and myself was far more mature than it was childish. It doesn't mean we can't wish their decision had gone the other way.

As for Haolejohn, I believe he was trying to help...maybe the asking works in the FedEx offices in Georgia, but those in LA and South Carolina seem less inclined to bend the rules. I appreciate his advice, even if I choose not to take it, and don't wish to raise my voice or throw a tantrum. I'll just impatiently wait for the next 48 hours.

Your approach works and that is what i do. I was told that my package would arrive during a certain time and it never showed up. So rather than wait another day i just went and picked it up. I was polite but I was also firm. I also went above the phone person.

whetu, I couldn't agree with you more. And thanks for that article link. It summed up exactly how I feel about things. Making a stink and getting p*ssy with people is not the way to go. I always make it a point to say please and thank you to everyone who assists me in any manner, whether that's the clerk at the convenience store who sells me a pack of smokes or the pimple-faced/minimum-wage-earning kid behind the counter at a fast food joint.

wickedwahine, they say patience is a virtue. This is the second thread you've started in less than a week about your impatience/frustration waiting for a uke to be delivered. You mentioned feeling like crying and/or throwing up in the last one.

You're stressing way too much, and that's not good for either your mental or physical well being. I knew a guy once who stressed constantly, he was always angry or upset when anything didn't go just right. I always thought he'd bust a vein in his brain from all that built-up pressure inside. He keeled over and died from a heart attack in his mid-40s.

Deep breaths, my friend, deep breaths. :)

Haolejohn,
I never said get childish. i said get upset. there is a difference. I believe in love and logic. One can be upset and disappointed without being rude. At least that is how I operate. You get more accomplished through love and logic.

Well, without defining "upset", we're left to come to our own conclusions. Having worked on a helldesk for a few years earlier in my career, I have a pretty clear vision of what "upset" is when it comes to customer service, and it's a grown adult yelling threats and making unreasonable demands, much like a child, hence me saying that it's childish. I don't know what the sayings are where you're from, but here it's "spitting the dummy" or "throwing the toys" (out of the cot/sandpit). But you then go on to say this:

Your approach works and that is what i do. I was told that my package would arrive during a certain time and it never showed up. So rather than wait another day i just went and picked it up. I was polite but I was also firm. I also went above the phone person.

"I was polite but I was also firm" is pretty much the approach I recommended. So I'm now guessing what you actually meant was inwardly upset (i.e. frustrated but keeping your cool) and I read it as outwardly upset (i.e. frustrated and losing your cool). Regardless, I apologise for the misunderstanding on my part, but put yourself in my position - you could have communicated that a bit better, no? :)

I would be anxious too, because they are not swapping Makala Dolphins... they are swapping Big $ ukes! Until it was in my hands I would be impatient myself. Not to fuel the fire... Just sayin'.

Oh, and I am not dissin' Dolphins... just sayin'.

I would be anxious too, because they are not swapping Makala Dolphins... they are swapping Big $ ukes! Until it was in my hands I would be impatient myself. Not to fuel the fire... Just sayin'.

Believe me, when I get a Dolphin I'm going to be sooo impatient. I think it's the colour that makes me feel like that, LOL. Like, omg, I need my pink uke!

wickedwahine, they say patience is a virtue. This is the second thread you've started in less than a week about your impatience/frustration waiting for a uke to be delivered. You mentioned feeling like crying and/or throwing up in the last one.

You're stressing way too much, and that's not good for either your mental or physical well being. I knew a guy once who stressed constantly, he was always angry or upset when anything didn't go just right. I always thought he'd bust a vein in his brain from all that built-up pressure inside. He keeled over and died from a heart attack in his mid-40s.

Deep breaths, my friend, deep breaths. :)

Point taken, deep breathing commenced.

Come on guys... this is getting silly.

You're right, mods should probably close this...my bad for starting it. My apologies.

Thanks for understanding though Mim...and hey, really nice new uke you got today. Congrats on it. I'm just really anxious as I know Tiger is as well.

You're right, mods should probably close this...my bad for starting it. My apologies.

Seriously, don't worry about it. You're not at fault for starting a thread about going nuts waiting for your uke. That's why we're all here in the first place, because we're crazy about ukes.

The thread stays open. Closing it would seem like the mods are telling you to temper your enthusiasm for ukes. We've never done that in the past, and we ain't about to start.

Top Bottom