PDA

View Full Version : So what type of tea will ya have?

Uke Republic
02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
So mostly where I live we drink Georgia table wine A.K.A. iced sweet(SUGAR!!!) tea. But I drink loads of hot tea as well. Been drinking the green tea no sugar and it great but a strong cup of Irish breakfast (English too) milk and sugar and KAZOWW! I'm off to the races. So how do take your tea/chai?:drool: <---that looks gross?

RevWill
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I try not to do much sugar.

I'll take an Earl Grey, no milk or sugar
or Jasmine tea with no milk or sugar
or a Stash White Chai with a splash of milk and a packet of stevia

Plainsong
02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm from Charelston, so I very much miss iced tea (sweetened of course). We have tea in Finland, it's not like I couldn't make some, and I have before. It's just that no one else will drink it, and I don't feel as if I have my mom or grandma's flare for making perfect iced tea.

So I drink the hot stuff, mostly earl grey, because I hate coffee.

Melissa82
02-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Herbal tea, prefer the fruity variety. I'm getting a free sample of this that I'm looking forward to. It's supposed to taste like coffee:
http://www.teeccino.com/

PaulGeo
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Oolong, green or black tea for me :)

bbycrts
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I like good black teas - English Breakfast or Darjeeling. I also like good Oolongs, too. Don't care so much for herbal teas, not so big on green tea. I can drink black teas straight, but throw in some milk and sugar and it takes me back to a Yorkshire farm house in the summer of 1983, drinking tea with a lovely English family - one of my favorite memories of a high school trip to Europe...

Brad Bordessa
02-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Lemon and honey.

Tea is the secret of the tone:

http://www.ericjohnson.com/images/ericjohnson/secret_weapon.jpg (http://www.ericjohnson.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=6)

(awwright...)

PattyD
02-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Sweet Coconut Thai Chai tea from Celestial Seasonings !!!!

itsme
02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Plain black tea for me. I like Twinings Darjeeling and stuff, but I'm content with Liptons or even the store brand. I drink 4-5 cups a day.

Kateri
02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Iced black tea, no sugar. I like to taste the tea.

didgeridoo2
02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Had 3 cups of yerba mate' today. Good stuff, healthy and good replacement for times when I'm not drinking coffee. just a bit o honey

pdxuke
02-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, my daddy was Virginia bred so it was good sweet tea growing up in my house too. Now i enjoy Earl Grey, with half and half, and I like it sweet.

(And don't you mean, "what type of tea will y'all have?";)

Plainsong
02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Plain black tea for me. I like Twinings Darjeeling and stuff, but I'm content with Liptons or even the store brand. I drink 4-5 cups a day.

A Scottish teacher at university calls Lipton a conspiracy by coffee makers to sell more coffee. It's alright for iced tea and such though. I just think of him when I see Lipton.

salukulady
02-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I drink tons of tea everyday. I start the morning with it hot and mid day add ice cubes and back to hot at night. I can't have caffeine, so I'm limited to herbal teas. Don't like fruity teas but any type of camomile is good. Vanilla, if I can find it without caffeine is great. I like decaf chai and peppermint and ginger. My favorite tea is licorice. Honey is my preferred sweetener.

UkuleleHill
02-02-2010, 06:56 AM
I love all teas, but my tea of choice right now is loose herbal tea Apple Cinnamon from Stash Tea. MMMMM

deach
02-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Long Island Iced Teas are my favorite.

Susie A
02-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Well, after spending some time with a group at the Hiram SB I am now into chai tea. My daughter picked up some Rooibos Chai Tea from Teavana for me and it is WONDERMOUS!

In the summertime it is sweet iced tea ... can't live without it.

Susie A
02-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Now that's TEA! I knew there was some reason I like you Deach, beside the fact that you play a mean uke, and you are a generous guy.

Susie A
02-02-2010, 07:06 AM
I love all teas, but my tea of choice right now is loose herbal tea Apple Cinnamon from Stash Tea. MMMMM

After reading some of your messages here at UU I requested a tea brewing mug from Santa. He did good, brought me a very nice one with some rooibos chai tea.

dnewton2
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
I drink all kinds of tea. Right now I am loving the Tazo Variety pack, I like them all except the Cammamile stuff that does not taste good to me at all. Iced tea when i go out to eat, unsweet with lemon.

My wife used to make Sweet Tea that would rot your teeth just looking at it. When she was done the would be a crust of sugar around the pitcher so bad that she had to soak the pitcher in water for a few hours to get it off. I still don't know how she drank that stuff.

bunnyflower
02-02-2010, 07:34 AM
I do like a nice sweet tea. But also green teas, from just plain to weirdo ones like kiwi-pear. Jasmine tea. Black teas. Earl grey with cream. Oh, I like tea.

But, I have to agree with Deach; the Long Island is mighty fine.

sukie
02-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Earl Grey, straight. In summer sweet tea is lovely. I've never had a Long Island Iced Tea. I'll have to try it this summer.

UkuleleHill
02-02-2010, 07:50 AM
After reading some of your messages here at UU I requested a tea brewing mug from Santa. He did good, brought me a very nice one with some rooibos chai tea.

MMMM Sounds delicious!!!

UkuleleHill
02-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I drink all kinds of tea. Right now I am loving the Tazo Variety pack, I like them all except the Cammamile stuff that does not taste good to me at all. Iced tea when i go out to eat, unsweet with lemon.

Tazo makes some wonderful teas as well. Stash and Tazo are my all time tea bag teas... Stash and Adagio are my faves for loose tea suppliers.

wickedwahine11
02-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Mmmm a Snapple diet peach tea is great on a hot day!

UkuleleHill
02-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Mmmm a Snapple diet peach tea is great on a hot day!

Snapple discontinued my favourite iced tea back when I was a young pup... Orange!

Ahnko Honu
02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
To quote Captain Jean Luc Picard "Earl Grey, hot". But I like mine with a touch of honey and cream.
Also Japanese green tea a favorite. Also great poured over rice for ochazuke. When I'm fighting a cold a drop a umeboshi (Japanese Pickled Plum) in my hot green tea and mush it up then drink. Cures what ails ya.
Hawaiian "teas" I enjoy are made from the leaves of Ko'oko'olau, and Mamaki.

Ahnko Honu
02-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Laughing my arse off, if that counts pour me a glass!

Ahnko Honu
02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Almost forgot... I drink chamomile with a touch of agave syrup at night to help me relax.

gnordenstam
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Lapsong Souchong - campfire in a cup. It's an Oolong that is smoked after fermenting.

dnewton2
02-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Stash and Adagio are my faves for loose tea suppliers.

I need to try me some loose tea sometime. Any reccomendations anyone?

RevWill
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I like Republic of Tea, Stash, and Twinings.

Kateri
02-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I saw a guy put blue agave in his tea today. Has anyone tried blue agave? What does it taste like?

heymelbs
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Yogi Mexican Sweet Chili tea. You either love it or hate it - I love it!!!

buddhuu
02-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm English and many of my friends are Indian and Chinese, therefore tea is not something I dare take lightly for fear of being lynched.

My preference is for plain green tea. If I feel like living dangerously then I might add a tiny dash of lemon, but only if I'm wearing the correct safety equipment. Failing that, a good, strong black tea with a small amount of milk, or Earl Grey as nature intended. If anyone were to put sugar in my tea I would call him out for a duel at dawn.

In my own personal opinion, herbal and fruit teas should be prepared carefully, with great attention to detail... and then they should be poured straight down the toilet. Iced tea is also an offense against nature.

Tea should be hot. Milk, sugar and lemon may be added to taste if absolutely necessary.

Anything else is unnatural and should be illegal. In fact, when I take over, perverted teas will be illegal.

Uke Republic
02-03-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm English and many of my friends are Indian and Chinese, therefore tea is not something I dare take lightly for fear of being lynched.

My preference is for plain green tea. If I feel like living dangerously then I might add a tiny dash of lemon, but only if I'm wearing the correct safety equipment. Failing that, a good, strong black tea with a small amount of milk, or Earl Grey as nature intended. If anyone were to put sugar in my tea I would call him out for a duel at dawn.

In my own personal opinion, herbal and fruit teas should be prepared carefully, with great attention to detail... and then they should be poured straight down the toilet. Iced tea is also an offense against nature.

Tea should be hot. Milk, sugar and lemon may be added to taste if absolutely necessary.

Anything else is unnatural and should be illegal. In fact, when I take over, perverted teas will be illegal.

Allright and you a Guinness man. Let's get him!

buddhuu
02-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Allright and you a Guinness man. Let's get him!
Yoink! **Exit hurriedly stage left.**

Ukeffect
02-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Ok then...I've been trying to "enlighten" the coffee swilling coworkers here, and I've been introducing loose teas, flowering teas and Chinese black tea (Pu Erh). The green teas with jasmine (loose or balled) and the fancy flowering teas do OK, but my personal favorite Chinese black doesn't get touched much...a shame really because it brews up as dark as coffee, yet is very mild and smooth...much better than English breakfast tea. For the flowering teas, Primula seems to have the best blends I've found...although the teas with the best flavor IMHO are the losse teas and balls I find in the local Chinese markets...couldn't tell you what the names are, but they are all nice! I only rarely need to use sweetener, or other additions to them.

buddhuu
02-03-2010, 05:56 AM
I had to Google "English Breakfast Tea". As far as I can tell it's mostly American people who call it that...?

That kind of black Assam and/or China stuff is what we Brits mean by default if we say "tea". As far as the concepts of breakfast and afternoon teas are concerned, they are archaic here. Yer average British household will drink the same tea no matter what time of day, and most will have just one black blend in the caddy and that's it. Perhaps also a pack of green in case of hippie visitors...

Most lazy English people use teabags instead of a pot. Shame, I like teapots. :(

Tea drinking ain't what it used to be.

GreatGazukes
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Tea!!

Yunnan for me thanks! Low fat milk (tastes better) and demerara sugar (only purchased for my cuppa tea). And brewed in a silver Robur Perfect Teapot (aged with a good encrustation of tannine)

PERFECT!!!!!

Ahnko Honu
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I saw a guy put blue agave in his tea today. Has anyone tried blue agave? What does it taste like?

That's all I've been using in my teas for several months now. I prefer the darker variety. Very tasty.