New Strings and Fret Doctor

samtay6

Reaction score
I know these sorts of threads are a dime a dozen but I just gotta share my own success story.

The other day I realized I had about $50 left over in my paypal account just sittin there asking to be spent.

I've been playing my Kamoa soprano uke with Worth Browns fairly regularly since my awesome GF brought it back from Kauai last december (08). I always loved the sound and never really thought about changing the strings, or really doing any sort of maintenance at all. I mean, the strings are nylon, how much gunk can they get on them?

To make a long story short, I ordered some Aquila's and Fret Doctor just to check them out, and the results are insane. The Fret Doctor made my VERY dry looking rosewood fretboard look so much healthier, and it's made the awesome figuring of the rosewood really pop. This stuff is seriously magic when it comes to fretboards. The Aquilas were more of the same magic. Everything I loved about the Kamoa, the smooth and buttery yet defined sound was retained, but everything was enhanced and made louder with the new strings. I was always skeptical about how much difference new strings could make on a uke but I am a convert. For the first time I woke up my roommate, who lives upstairs, while playing my uke in my room downstairs. This thing is seriously loud now.

My uke is now better looking, better feeling, and definitely better sounding. It's like I have a whole new ukulele!

And the awesome cherry on top of this is that the entire transformation cost me about 15 bucks for two sets of strings and a 10ml bottle of Fret Doctor.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm just pumped how much my little investment did for my enjoyment of the instrument.

I've been using fret-doctor for year and it is the best I have found.

Been using the same bottle for years, btw

Er, yes. Fret doctor or bore oil or lizard spit or whatever conditioner you have, all untreated fretboards should be oiled on a regular basis. I've not tried Fret Doctor. Currently I just use clarinet bore oil. But I have a bottle of Lizard Spit coming from Elderly in the next few days. Great to hear your excellent results!

I put Fret Doctor on my Kamoa concert I picked up in Kauai last Jan and on a 50's Martin soprano. The stuff does work great(it even smells nice) and I've lent it to a friend who is going to use it on his guitar collection.

I use Howard's Feed & Wax to the same effect. It's a mixture of bee's wax, carnauba wax, and orange oil. Smells and works great! I started using this product several years ago on my lathe turned Koa wood calabashes and found it works great on fretboards as well. http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

Top Bottom