Learning book

karnouk

Reaction score
Hi,
Is there such a thing as a "classic" ukulele learning book?
Not a "learn ukulele in 3 days". Something that would go in details in various techniques needed for Ukulele and that could serve as teaching material while taking ukulele courses in music schools for example.

/Lâm

i'm working my way through "ukulele fretboard roadmaps" and I'm finding it very helpful, it has sections that show how the chords relate to each other and comes with a cd. I've had a couple of books so far but this is definatly the best i've found so far.

good luck in your search

zoe

Ukulele Mike

Is a music teacher who posts on youtube. all of his recent stuff is song tutorials which are great. but if you search his name and scroll all the way to the bottom, he has a series of lessons starting with tuning the ukulele. The Uke Minutes on this site are really great but you have to figure out how to arrange them for your own playing level. I also have fretboard roadmap but its a little too abstract for me. I wish it had some exercises in between the concepts.

IMO, these two books by Herb Ohta Jr. and Daniel Ho
For the Beginning player
ukebooksm.jpg

For the Intermediate player
Exploringsm.jpg

Is a music teacher who posts on youtube. all of his recent stuff is song tutorials which are great. but if you search his name and scroll all the way to the bottom, he has a series of lessons starting with tuning the ukulele. The Uke Minutes on this site are really great but you have to figure out how to arrange them for your own playing level. I also have fretboard roadmap but its a little too abstract for me. I wish it had some exercises in between the concepts.

The same here. :agree: I have the fretboard roadmaps, very good at learning the moveable chords and depending on your ability, is very challanging. A must is Ukulele Mike on you tube, he has some lessons PLUS he has tons of songs you can play along with including the lyrics and chords.

The Lil' Rev method books look good to, although I don't own any of them.

JJ

I haven't found any one "perfect" book. Hal Leonard's Play Ukulele Today! A Complete Guide to the Basics does teach some music theory, e.g.: scales, chords, chord progressions, and strums. It is a small book. Check your local library to see if they have any you can check out (...I made a pun...) before you buy. There is a lot online. I just need to find it.

I was just thinking about making a thread about this because I have been in the same boat for where to move on to. I think we need a sticky thread with learning book reviews, maybe even its own review section! (mods *wink* *wink*)

Anyway this is the book I have and would recommend it whole heartedly.
Let's Kanikapila! Ten Steps To Learn Ukulele the Hawaiian Way
I have a couple others I can post reviews of but out of the 3 I have I enjoy this one the most by far.

The format is:
1 - you learn a series of around 4 chords, you run through a practice exercise with those chords.
2 - you learn a bit of music theroy, you run thgouh a practice exercise with what you learned
3 - you learn a song or two first the picking then stumming or vis-versa depends on the exercise

It comes with a CD with somewhere around 70+ tracks that demonstrate everything they are trying to teach. Helped me with how the roll strum was supposed to sound.

One con is I would like to hear some of the tracks with someone singing because i have no idea how to pronounce Hawaiian words at all, though there is a couple pages on how to do that exactly! This is also a plus because on the CD you can hear exactly how you should sound.

Top Bottom