PDA

View Full Version : So...tempting...must...hide....... debit card.......

Zakulele
02-02-2010, 08:25 AM
http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-UIC10BK

phanzo
02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Looks sweet. Probably doesn't sound too awesome, but it definitely looks cool. Depending on the price, it may be worth having :D

grammy
02-02-2010, 09:06 AM
have to confess ,i don't like it much.

RevWill
02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I love KISS, but I can't bring myself to love that uke.

Still, it might be fun to try and arrange Hard Luck Woman for that thing.

Skitzic
02-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Hm. I'm torn. I kind of like it, but I kind of don't.

I have a general dislike of Ibanez, so I probably wouldn't buy it. It's interesting though.

Ukeffect
02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
IF I were to buy an Ibanez...I might go for this one first...
http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-UEW20SG

Skitzic
02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I really love the look of spalted mango.

Zakulele
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I admit, being Ibanez is off-putting, but a Heavy metal looking uke is hard to ignore.

portlandjosh
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
I admit, being Ibanez is off-putting, but a Heavy metal looking uke is hard to ignore.

I have an Ibanez acoustic guitar, and it's not a bad instrument. A heavy metal uke would be fun, but it wouldn't be my first pick. The wood on the spalted mango is lovely, though.

Sambient
02-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Um.
Wheeee?!

44fanatic
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
IF I were to buy an Ibanez...I might go for this one first...
http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-UEW20SG

Wish I hadn't seen this link. I'm waiting on an Ohana from Fedex as we post.. I'm already thinking - I've got a soprano. My new tenor is on the way...don't I need a concert??? That thing is sweet!

Aunt Betty
02-02-2010, 12:41 PM
It looks fun! That is what it is supposed to look like. I like different styles, and different sounds. This one has a cool rock-star look.
I think waiting a bit...like ...uh, five minutes...may be a good idea. Go with your inner child and go for it; it makes it more fun ( unless you have starving children.) Hey, I ordered a blue Luna; I liked the dolphins swimming in a sea of birght blue maple. I think it is pretty.

Zakulele
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I have an Ibanez acoustic guitar, and it's not a bad instrument. A heavy metal uke would be fun, but it wouldn't be my first pick. The wood on the spalted mango is lovely, though.

I didn't mean to bash Ibanez overall, but they just started getting into the uke market, so I'm just a little weary.

ukestang
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I have an Ibanez UEW20SG, it is beautiful, seemingly well made and sounds OK, not great, I think I like the Iceman uke, don't care for the Iceman guitars. This could be a cool uke, should be electric and should also be made in tenor size. An Iceman uke tenor size, in spalted mango, and electric, I'll buy.

Nuprin
02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
The store I work at has some Ibanez ukes and I'm not too crazy about them. That being said, I put in an order for one of these (through work) about a week ago. Street price will be $150 and I've been told it's about 1-2 months out.

Skitzic
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
The store I work at has some Ibanez ukes and I'm not too crazy about them. That being said, I put in an order for one of these (through work) about a week ago. Street price will be $150 and I've been told it's about 1-2 months out.

You'll have to give us an update when you get it. I do like that body a lot. But I have never handled an Ibanez I thought was worth the money.

Ukeology
02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Not sure about the Ibanez.

I bought one of these last year. Tunes up as a uke real nice.

It totally rocks for when you want to do a Bob Dylan (and "go electric").

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=101&CollectionID=11

FromTheWayside
02-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Looks sweet. Probably doesn't sound too awesome, but it definitely looks cool. Depending on the price, it may be worth having :D

+1.

I almost bought an Iceman back when I was a bit more of a guitar freak. I bet it looks good, but might not sound so good; seriously, look at that horn! If anyone ends up buying this I would love a review, lol.

afeistyfiesta
02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm really more of a natural wood kind of guy...so I'm not a huge fan...but hey! If it you like it then awesome! Everyone has different tastes.

Moondoggie
02-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Not sure about the Ibanez.

I bought one of these last year. Tunes up as a uke real nice.

It totally rocks for when you want to do a Bob Dylan (and "go electric").

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=101&CollectionID=11

Not to steer the thread off into a ditch, but I was wondering - what makes Epiphone call this an electric mandoliln rather than an electric uke? Are there actually eight strings on it that you can't see in the photo, is it tuned differently. or is it something about the instrument's dimensions? Or is it that Epiphone just hates ukuleles? :)

GrumpyCoyote
02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Not to steer the thread off into a ditch, but I was wondering - what makes Epiphone call this an electric mandoliln rather than an electric uke? Are there actually eight strings on it that you can't see in the photo, is it tuned differently. or is it something about the instrument's dimensions? Or is it that Epiphone just hates ukuleles? :)

Electric mandolins (solid bodies at least) are almost always four strings. Things that make it "not a uke" are steel strings and the set-up for GDAE tuning.

I suppose you could get GCEA on there if you found the right diameter strings and filed the nut a bit, but it's still fundamentally a traditional solid-body electric mandolin. That is, if such a thing can be called traditional in the first place... They have been around at least since the sixties, even if rare.

GrumpyCoyote
02-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Ibanez is one of the most inconsistent instrument manufacturers I can think of. They make instruments with a broad range quality - from crappy unplayable firewood, to passable factory machines I would be happy to own.

Sadly, by most accounts the new ukes fall into the crappy firewood category.

Note: I've been playing, buying, and evaluating Ibanez for 25 years. I've owned four Ibanez guitars of various quality, and still have two. I nearly bought a hollow-body from them last night (holding out for a tenor guitar). I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, but even I would hold off on these. Iím going to give them a while to dial the quality up a bit.

generem
02-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Looks almost cartoonish to me.. on the fence on this one

Ahnko Honu
02-03-2010, 08:10 AM
That shape would make a fun bass 'ukulele

Mim
02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
I think it is fun! I would not buy it personally, but I would think it would be cool to have in a collection.

44fanatic
02-05-2010, 02:24 AM

I may be out of my league here but I think that the scale length determines what you call it. I have a resonator mandolin that I had been thinking of turning into a uke and was told that I would need to have a set of custom strings made. Mandolin scale lengths (distance between the nut and bridge) and ukes are different. Other than that, you should be able to tune up or down and play it like either. Any one else correct me if I'm wrong.

t.t.timmay
06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't know if you guys are still curious but I have it and have a couple pictures/video of it over in http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?31290-Hey&highlight=iceman , if you have any questions about it I'd be glad to answer them

mingus
06-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Just like to add a short review...

It is a very playable and decent sounding uke. Intonation, set-up, and overall playability is better than some high dollar ukes. I personally like the look of the iceman uke, so there you go!

scottie
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Yeah, kind of like a gout flare up.

ScottGrove
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I bought the Iceman as my first Uke, you can check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVWNgAvgXc I really like it. It's very "me". lol I'm pretty much out there, so we fit together.

mm stan
06-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Aloha Grumpycoyote,
If I remember right, Ibanez made guitars out of the US for Fender, their lower priced ones
I quess something like the squire. I 've heard they were well made and sounded not bad,
because they were made in Japan...If my memory serves me right....If any guitar
players out there knows, don't hesitate to contribute......

kissing
06-18-2010, 05:49 AM
I like it, but I reckon Ibanez should make those models acoustic-electric.

I guess you could install pickups on your own,.. but that is extra effort

haolejohn
06-18-2010, 07:07 AM

get a sceptre then.

t.t.timmay
06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
get a sceptre then.

I wish.. that looks awesome but I don't have $1100 to toss around :(