Wierd?

SamUke

Reaction score
I was playing my loprinzi concert when a string went pop. It appears to have been cut into by the bone nut, has anybody had this happen to them before?

My bone nut is pretty dull nowadays.

these days, mine seem to usually snap at a fret... my frets are a little rough. These days, I don't finish mine up to a smooth shine. I don't know why but I kinda like the texture... but it wreaks havoc on the strings... after a while there are visible notches on my strings from where they've rubbed on the frets, especially when bending strings... then soon after that... SNAP! time for a string change.

but, yeah, most of my nuts are pretty sharp too... I can see that eventually causing a string to break... but it should take a while... my guess is that unless the nut groove is overly tight and/or there is sharpness protruding into the string, the string should have decent longevity... from my experience, strings are pretty tough. I don't know if I'd recommend slightly rounding the nut there just for string longevity... I have no idea how that might affect the sound/intonation... although, "rounding the nut" does sound enjoyable.

Happens now and then to classical guitars at saddle - maybe a slight burr on the nut.

Top Bottom