PDA

View Full Version : Straps – Colors or Patterns –Please Vote!

Lori
02-02-2010, 08:33 AM
I have a project that I would like your help on. Hopefully, by the end of the week or early next week I will post all the details. But for now, I need your input on your preferences for color for a 1/2 inch (13 mm) wide ukulele strap. So, when buying a strap for your uke, what color would you choose? Do you like solid colors or patterns? If you would like a pattern, what kind of design would you want to see? Remember, it is only one half inch wide. Thanks

–Lori

seeso
02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
If it's solid color, I'd get orange, as that's my favorite color.

For patterns, if they're strictly for ukes, I'd go with something Hawaiian-looking. Honu, poi, tikis... that sort of thing.

phanzo
02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I enjoy my Rasta colored strap...it makes me happy mon

Skitzic
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I like brown leather with some kind of simple design like tropical leaves or bottles of rum.

molokinirum
02-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I like the pattern...something tropical like tikis, surf boards, palm trees etc.

Ukeffect
02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Personally, I chose a musical note pattern for my acoustics, and a bright western pattern for my electric CBU...just me I guess! I like the ones from http://www.guitarstrapsonline.com/
Check out the ones for the mandolins...a little pricey, true but well made and comfortable to wear!

greg_usa
02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
let me guess! The project is a strap for your ukulele! ;o) I think lightning bolt would be cool - Rivers Cuomo from Weezer had one for his guitar - would be fun to have one for a uke!

SailQwest
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I've been making my own straps from 1" grosgrain ribbon and polyester webbing. All of those (so far) are striped.

I made a couple out of 1.5" canvas web belts (peace signs & hearts, skulls & stars), but they were heavier than I wanted.

sukie
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
You just can't go wrong with pink flamingoes. You get the pink AND the flamingoes. Well, I'd want one.

bunnyflower
02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd like something colorful and tropical and flowery!

RevWill
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't use uke straps but here's the one on my Taylor
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/9378/9378791cv1a.jpg

RevWill
02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
If it's solid color, I'd get orange, as that's my favorite color.

You would definitely love my candy tangerine Telecaster then!

brUKEman
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I go for a Brown strap to blend in. I prefer Neoprene to leather and if these are exclusively for ukuleles why not put a ukulele outline on it or 4 strings with notes.

itsme
02-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I go for a Brown strap to blend in.
Same here.

seeso
02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
You would definitely love my candy tangerine Telecaster then!

Is it an American Tele?

mailman
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Never had a uke strap, but nothing against them. If choosing, I'd opt for a pattern. Not so much a Hawaiian theme, but more musical or whimsical....

sukie
02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Never had a uke strap, but nothing against them. If choosing, I'd opt for a pattern. or whimsical....

You might like flamingoes then, huh?:drool:

haole
02-02-2010, 11:26 AM
The idea of guys named Will owning tangerine-colored Fenders is absolutely preposterous.

Wait.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/brushfirefairytale/IMG_1422.jpg

I'm definitely more into patterns than solid colors. Tropical is neat, but risks becoming too common.

RevWill
02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Is it an American Tele?

2004 American Deluxe Telecaster, bone stock.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5887

seeso
02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
2004 American Deluxe Telecaster, bone stock.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5887

I hate you.

Melissa82
02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd like a pink/black strap with skulls on it.

:D

Aunt Betty
02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
It was hard to just vote for one. It would need to match the ukulele.
banjo ukule: a woven floral brocade
Ohana CK-75: something subdued, ivory colored with a subdued pattern
Luna: blue with dolphins, tropica fish, or hybiscus flowers

mailman
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
You might like flamingoes then, huh?:drool:

Sulkie, I could dig the flamingoes. Not so sure about the pink, though....

RevWill
02-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Personally, I chose a musical note pattern for my acoustics, and a bright western pattern for my electric CBU...just me I guess! I like the ones from http://www.guitarstrapsonline.com/
Check out the ones for the mandolins...a little pricey, true but well made and comfortable to wear!

I like this African print.

Skitzic
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm oddly attracted to this:

http://www.guitarstrapsonline.com/sasquatchstrap.aspx

It's fuzzy...ooh, fuzzy.

Ukeffect
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd like a pink/black strap with skulls on it.

:D
Is this close enough?

Melissa82
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Is this close enough?
9647Hmm, no. The strap needs to be black or pink and have the opposite colour of skulls on it.

portlandjosh
02-02-2010, 02:25 PM
How about a UU special edition? Black velvet with the UU logo in silver.

CountryMouse
02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I have a project that I would like your help on. Hopefully, by the end of the week or early next week I will post all the details. But for now, I need your input on your preferences for color for a 1/2 inch (13 mm) wide ukulele strap. So, when buying a strap for your uke, what color would you choose? Do you like solid colors or patterns? If you would like a pattern, what kind of design would you want to see? Remember, it is only one half inch wide. Thanks

–Lori

Well, I can't actually answer that accurately in a poll, since I choose the colour to match the uke, as much as possible. I have so far only bought solid-coloured leather straps; but I may be buying a patterned narrow guitar strap for my soprano Eleuke.

So: all colours! Sorry for not being more helpful!

P.S. I'm going to hold off on buying a strap for the Eleuke and see what you come up with. I need one to match the pineapple colouring of the Eleuke (I'm getting a soprano). Will your straps have the laces on one end, to tie at the headstock?

CountryMouse

Lori
02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
P.S. I'm going to hold off on buying a strap for the Eleuke and see what you come up with. I need one to match the pineapple colouring of the Eleuke (I'm getting a soprano). Will your straps have the laces on one end, to tie at the headstock?

CountryMouse

Yes, it will, or something like that.
More details in a few days, after the paperwork is filed. It is different than anything on the market right now.

Keep the comments coming! It is a great help.
–Lori

MisoHappy
02-02-2010, 08:58 PM
If I were to get a solid color, I'd get orange or violet (even better if it were both) since they're my favorite colors, but I've yet to find one.

Patterned? hmmm I see a lot of Hawaiian patterns on straps, hibiscus and honu are extremely common....I also see lots of checkerboard and rasta straps....

Howlie Boy
02-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I myself don't use a strap but I guess if I did it would have to be a patern. Maybe something pirates or tikis or maybe tribal. All this JMO. :-)

Lori
02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the input guys! Based on your responses, I have ordered materials for making some prototypes for some of you to try. Details should come in a new post tomorrow, after I have uploaded a demo video to YouTube. Those who are chosen to test the new product will get to keep it. To be considered as a participant for prototype testing, a survey will be filled out, and the test group selected from the submitted surveys. More details tomorrow, if the YouTube upload is successful.

–Lori

PaulGeo
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Lori,
Bring a sample to our gathering at Guitar Merchants... would love to see what you come up with :)

Lori
02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, you will definitely see one at the next meeting. I have liked mine so much that it has been difficult keeping it under wraps. But now that I have Patent Pending status, I can show it around.

–Lori