PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Repair.. Crack

Expired
02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I was wondering how much you think it would cost to repair a crack between the wood and binding it looks like.
How serious is this crack?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/expired8/4325492961/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/expired8/4326229294/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/expired8/4326229366/sizes/l/
(It may be easier to see in medium instead of large)

It's about an inch long and a little wider than a hair. It's on the back lower bout between the wood and binding.

didgeridoo2
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Says the photos are private.

Expired
02-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Fixed, sorry about that.

portlandjosh
02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Is that your brand new uke? Did it come like that or did you have an accident? Bummer...

Expired
02-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Ya, it came like that.. :/
Inspected it right when I opened the package and noticed that, with a few other minor details.

MartinLil
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Can you return this uke? If I were you, I would definitely do that immediately. If you're really really in love with it, you should ask the seller to pay for the repair. I still vote for sending it back.

By the way, what is it?

portlandjosh
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, dude. Send that bad boy back! Investing in a new instrument shouldn't include feeling like it needs a repair right out of the box.

Expired
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
It's a Lanikai Spalted Mango Concert. I'm not sure if the seller takes returns as I bought it off ebay. I'll ask though.
If he doesn't how much do you think a repair would cost?

Expired
02-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Guy called me up and was real nice. He said when he looked at it he did notice it and that was the "finish flaw" that he listed. Said it's just a small crack where the glue didn't fully seal, and isn't anything major.
I can either return it or get $25 refunded to me. What do you think?

mailman
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Depends on how much it bothers you, and what kind of deal you got in the first place,

If the price was real good, and you love the uke otherwise, take the $25 and enjoy the uke.

If you paid top dollar, or if the uke doesn't really "speak" to you, send it back. Get a refund and start shopping again.

All a matter of perception....

Expired
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
$255 with shipping, it's a factory second. I think I'm going to send it back..
I feel like this crack will bother me forever.. Other than that this uke is beautifulllllll.

Plainsong
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Try musicguymic on ebay. He's a member here and in many other forums, and pretty much one of the top ukulele go-to guys. He wouldn't purposefully sell you a bad uke.

jazzbo
02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
That's more than a finish flaw, and it wasn't disclosed. You can always keep it and it's not a huge repair, but I would I return it.

haolejohn
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Try musicguymic on ebay. He's a member here and in many other forums, and pretty much one of the top ukulele go-to guys. He wouldn't purposefully sell you a bad uke.

That was a factory second uke and that would be a finish flaw, just a little worse flaw than I'd want. Most sellers will tell you about defects before you buy it. I'd still be mad though. Did you ask for pictures of the finished flaw before you won? I'd still send it back and start looking again.

haolejohn
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
$255 with shipping, it's a factory second. I think I'm going to send it back..
I feel like this crack will bother me forever.. Other than that this uke is beautifulllllll.

The only disadvanage of buying factory seconds without seeing the defect is you never know how much it is going to bother you.

Expired
02-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Nah, I didn't ask for pictures. I assumed it was more of a scuff than a crack when he described it.
As much as I like it, I guess i'll keep looking.

Pippin
02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd return it. The binding will eventually come completely off if it is not fixed and that will add a good bit to your cost.

Skitzic
02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I would consider that more than a finish flaw. Mine came with a tiny little bump in the binding, that is a finish flaw.

That is a photo of a crack.

But that's JMHO.

Expired
02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Welppp, pics before it goes..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/expired8/4326877234/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/expired8/4326140901/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/expired8/4326877386/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/expired8/4326141013/sizes/l/

Plainsong
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
But seriously, MGM next time. :)

I also consider that more than a finish flaw. I mean it's a crack for FFS. Fixable, but still.

pithaya9
02-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Return it and have MGM hook you up.

portlandjosh
03-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Was just curious if anyone has ever had a crack such as this repaired, and how much trouble was it? I am considering buying a factory second that has a similar type of crack (or a seam that could open into one like is shown in the OP's pics), and don't know how much I should worry about such a crack along the edge of the body and the binding.

Gaby
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
That's quite an easy repair by the looks of it. Some glue, clamps and let it sit for at least a day and all should be fine. Any decent shop with a workshop should be able to do this, can't believe the seller didn't... Says a lot... For a shop to fix this and make it look neat, you could be charged more than $25.

When you purchase an old uke though, the binding might have shrunk and it may not fit perfectly anymore, so you might end up with a little gap between the beginning and end of the strip of binding.

In the above case the seller should have described this "flaw" more accurately and included a picture. This is not a finish flaw - I don't even believe this would leave the factory like that.

portlandjosh
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't even believe this would leave the factory like that.

The original poster bought this as a factory second. I am also considering a factory second with a similar flaw as to the one pictured. In my case, it is fully disclosed and the seller (the builder, in fact) is completely open about it. I happen to know very little about cracks, so I am just interested in how much of a potential issue I might be getting myself into. Thanks for input.

Cheers,

littlesongs
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I am also considering a factory second with a similar flaw as to the one pictured. In my case, it is fully disclosed and the seller (the builder, in fact) is completely open about it. I happen to know very little about cracks, so I am just interested in how much of a potential issue I might be getting myself into.

Josh, you might go to Todd at Portland Fretworks for at least a post-purchase inspection. He is arguably the best luthier in town and a good guy too. I would never let a blemish or potential minor repair keep me from buying an instrument that speaks to my heart.

portlandjosh
03-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Josh, you might go to Todd at Portland Fretworks for at least a post-purchase inspection. He is arguably the best luthier in town and a good guy too. I would never let a blemish or potential minor repair keep me from buying an instrument that speaks to my heart.

Thanks for the advice, that is really helpful!

pdxuke
03-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Todd is the guy; but be aware that as a craftsman the work is not inexpensive. I was quoted $55-$125 to lower the action on a uke. I'm sure the work would have been top notch, but that was the price.

portlandjosh
03-17-2010, 06:07 PM
I was quoted $55-$125 to lower the action on a uke. I'm sure the work would have been top notch, but that was the price.

Yeek. That would almost negate the value of buying a factory second...!

Gaby
03-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I still doubt that it would leave the factory like that because it could have been fixed there easily. Often these sort of things happen in the shop or in transit, but anyway. The point is that is generally easy to fix and yes if a luthier were to fix it, you'd pay $55 unless you have a friendly local store, that is willing to do it cheaper. Maybe a local woodworker / cabinet maker you know can do the job. All it is some glue, wipe off excess glue, clamp and wait.

Ukuleleblues
03-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I buy 2nds all the time and fix them up. if you scrape out the old glue can you seat the binding or is it to long? If you can seat it, buy some plastic binding glue from Stewart Mcdonald and some binding tape and glue it with as little glue as you can, don;t want any oozes if possible. Slight heat from a hair dryer will make the plastic more pliable. Big rubber bands or elastic also work well for clamping the binding while the glue sets. If you look on the Stewart McDonald web site they have instructions on how to install binding. Just don't over do the glue as it will ooze over the finish and you will then have to buy some lacquer and read on how to spot refinish after you scrape the oozing off.