Banjo Uke Rims...

david47

Reaction score
Hello all...

Is there a source for the 8" round wood rims used for banjo ukes? I'm not finding any and would like to try a build.

Thanks for any help.

David

I like the drums that daveg uses for his banjo ukes. I was looking for something similar but never came up with any good hits.

While most banjo hoops are bent wood laminations, there are other ways to make the hoop. One simple technique is to glue together a solid wood block to the thickness that you want and then use a router and circle cutter to cut the inside and outside of the hoop. I've made several this way with good results. I have also turned hoops on a lathe from a similar block. This process is shown pretty clearly in the book Earl Scruggs and the Five String Banjo and a similiar process is shown at this link.
http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/rim1.htm

I've been trying to find the 8 inch tunable hand drum too. Can't find much on the net that would work. I could build the rim and buy the hardware and drumhead, but would rather start with the hand drum for time and cost reasons. I want to build a couple to give to relatives and friends. Dave G seems to be able to get them, so I know they are out there.
Doug

How thick are the rims? I buy plywood tubes for my woodworking business. I've often thought about using them to make a uke. Search for plywood tubes. If you can't find anything, I can post some links to my suppliers when I get back to the office.

I think they are about 3/8" thick or so. Please post your links...anything would be helpful.

Thanks...David

Thank very much to everyone for the info!

Thanks...David

Top Bottom