Bought busted uke - UPDATE!

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't know how many of you saw my original post about me buying a new uke only to find it was busted but it can be found here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?25755-Bought-new-uke-having-problems

Well, here's the update... Basically I bought the Lanikai LU 21CE which I was well impressed with until it started buzzing like mad, fretted, unfretted, strummed, whatever. Well anyway, to follow on from my previous post I returned to the shop after work on Monday, a train ride away this shop is, and tried to take the uke back for an exchange or refund or whatever. Well I get there and I'm left standing at the counter for 10 minutes before I'm seen to, the store was empty btw. So anyway, the little old lady that owns the store tells me that the boy who deals with the ukes isn't in but if I go to the back of the shop one of the guitar guys will help me out...

GREAT! I thought, just what I need, especially after all the stuff I've read on here about guitar guys thinking they're a pro on every stringed instrument. So anyways, I explain what the problem is with the buzz and he grabs it and starts plucking it saying "I can't hear a buzz?" Bearing in mind that there is heavy metal blearing out at full volume. So I ask him to take it into the soundproof room and try it but he turns the music off instead and trys again, but there is still alot of shop noise. He still can't hear anything. Then he starts playing this stupid lil "Hey, look at me I'm a rock star" 2-string riff looking really smug, saying it was probably my shirt button vibrating against the back of the uke. I pointed out I was wearing a plain t-shirt at the time and he continues "Well you're going to get buzz anyway, it's not an electric guitar y'know!? How much did you pay for tis £124?" At this point he goes and gets a £350 uke and starts strumming it really hard making it buzz and says "You see, this is an expensive uke and it buzzes alot so you're lucky that your cheap one doesn't sound this bad!" The cheek! I pointed out that I had a cheap £25 no name uke at home that didn't buzz and that was about the end of the conversation. He told me there was nothing he could do for me.

So I get all the way home, start playing it and BUZZ! I'm really annoyed now so I decide to plug it in and see how bad it sounds. Guess what... nothing! The pick-up doesn't work! So I have to go back the next day now. So go back and this time manage to see the uke guy. Pretty much the same the deal. He siad he couldn't hear it. I argued the fact with him and he gave me the same "Well you expect that from a uke" deal. So then I move onto the pick-up and he's stumped. "Might be the battery?" No, I tried that but he checks it anyway... changes the battery, turns it round, tries it in every posible direction but nothing so then he agrees theres a problem.

On the way to the counter the arse from the day before sees me and the uke back again and pipes up "Oh I had a look at that yesterday, theres nothing up with it". The uke guy tells him that the P/U is dead and he replies really smugly "Oh, that makes it buzz then does it?" Honestly, cocks the lot of 'em! So I ask for a refund and they refuse as it's against company policy. I state my rights and they refuse saying they will send it away to be looked at so I'm without my uke and without my money to buy a new one! :(

Well spoke to Consumer Direct and they advised me I was entilted to a refund yada yada yada so I call the store and tell them not to send my uke for repair, that I don't want that and I don't want it back, I want my money... They said that they couldn't do that until their supplier had given them the credit for the instrument to refund me, and they wouldn't do that until they'd inspected the instrument. Well, long story short they keep refusing until I bombard them with that much consumer law and threats to go to Trading Standards that they strike a deal with me... They will replace my Lanikia LU 21CE with a brand new, Kala KA CE, with a couple of extra sets of strings and bits. Sounds good to me so I'm axxepting it. What do you guys think? I can't really find much on the Kala, but it's pretty much the same instrument except made from mahogany instead of Nato.

What do you guys think?

Methinks that you now REALLY should check this pickup wire we have been talking about. Methinks the mini jack that plugs into the pre-amp is unplugged might be causing the rattling.

I couldn't get inside there... beside the uke is back at the shop, though I do effectively still own it. Do you think the Kala is a better deal? I was originally looking at that along side the Lanikai... It's a shame, I did fall in love with that little Lanikai!...

Man that sucks! It really makes appreciate our local shop that much more, they only deal in acoustic instruments. I think you'll like the Kala as well they are pretty comparable instruments. That being said the set up is pretty important in getting either of these to sound good and it doesn't sound like that shop gives a $#it! I've heard the Kalas are usually pretty good out of the box, but you may need to find a luthier who knows what he's doing if it needs adjustment, or it's not that hard to do yourself and there are plenty of people here that can helpyou. Good luck.

Go for the Kala and the extra bits. Though it really sounds like this place should be told it's your money or sanctions. Still - Kalas are fantastic instruments. Doesn't sound like a bad deal. But never go to them again once you are able to wash your hands of them. It's too bad you've had to deal with such garbage - ukes are happy!

What do you guys think?

I'm with you in that I would've preferred to have just gotten my money back. If nothing else, so that they wouldn't get a profit from me. They sound like a bunch of jerks, from what you've told us. (And what sort of "company policy" doesn't let people return item they've bought recently, defective or not? It's a ukulele, not a pair of underwear!)

That said, the trade sounds like a pretty good deal to me too. I think you'll like the Kala.

JJ

I went to that shop because they are meant to be pretty good, and they seemed to have a good range and know what they were talking about? How wrong was I? Still, I'll see what happens with the Kala first. Didn't want to buy on the net because I couldn't try the uke first but I ended up buying a uke in the flesh that sounded good in the shop but was simply dire once I got it home. They are pretty much the only decent shop near me and they are a train ride away but I've learnt my lesson now I guess?

If any set up is required we have a luthier round here who may be able to help, Peter Howlett... We'll see how it goes, I'd be up for trying it myself maybe?...

I would try the Kala out for size. You might like it and the price and quality are comparable. I really love my Kala.

Good luck. I am frustrated for you... and I really dislike riffing guitar salesmen. They show off, hand the instrument to me, and then I feel like I do not want to even try it out after that. Good luck. Let us know how you like your Kala.

I'd hammer them more for your money back. File a complaint (or fill out whatever paperwork you get that's official where you are) and take it in, or your letter, and lay it on the counter and tell these wankers that you're either filing this or they are refunding your money. I wouldn't give these guys a lick of business.

Play hard ball. You can do it. These guys are the worst. I think they'll cave, but you gotta stick with it.

The Kala deal may look good--but who knows with these pr@@ks whether or not it is set up properly?

Got a friend who is a solicitor? Have him write a firmly worded letter on his stationary and bring that in too. And don't leave until you get your money.
make a LOT OF NOISE, so other customers can hear you! Last resort-- take them to your version of small claims if you have to.

Then get your refund and call MGM.

Last edited:
I'd agree with pdxuke, except it sounds like you already agreed to the exchange. Maybe you can back out, go back to demanding a refund, and if so you should. Otherwise, if you do get the Kala, check it over and then walk out the door with it and don't go back. If it needs any work take it to a good luthier. Heck, take it to one anyway to make sure it's set up properly.

Oh, and be sure to give that store all the "publicity" you can ...

Company policy my arse. In the UK, if the merchandise is faulty you are entitled to a refund if you require one.

Call Trading Standards Consumer Direct: 08454 04 05 06.

I don't think I'd want so much as a generic guitar pick from this place, but since you already took the deal, I wish you luck! Pete's a UU member if you need to shoot him a PM.

I've agreed to the deal, but I won't know anything about it until tomorrow. I can still pull out, but I thought that the Kala deal was pretty decent. Buddhuu, I know all about the Sales of Goods act, and I checked with Consumer Direct to be sure. I know in principle I should have just got the refund but I need an electro concert uke for next weekend, and I couldn't see me getting my refund and finding and buying a new uke by then. So I'm accepting it, then if it's faulty or I'm not happy then I'm having my money and running, I've told them that that is the terms of me going ahead with this! I'll be giving them plenty of "Publicity" too! I don't really want them to have any money off me at all, but atleast now they have accept a loss by covering the cost of a more expensive uke against one that was cheaper and discountef to boot!

I should hear tomorrow and apparently it will be ready for picking too but I'm off to London for the weekend first thing in the morning so have to wait till Monday...

Top Bottom