PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Resources

Doug W
02-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Greetings,

I am starting this thread in response to a question by a new member who is a Uke / Mandolin player. He asked about online Tabs / music for non-bluegrass and non-obscure turn of the century mandolin stuff. Hopefully he will join the thread and make the questions more clear.

Big_e
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Mandolin Cafe (http://www.mandolincafe.com/) is a good resource. Lots of good people in it kinda like here, only not as active.
Ernest

itsme
02-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Well, mando is tuned same as violin, so you can look for stuff for violin or fiddle. Celtic/Irish stuff is fun, too.

buddhuu
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm a mandolin and fiddle abuser as well as a uke mangler, so if the new member does chime in with details of what's needed I'll be happy to try to help.

The suggestions already made about seeking help over at Mandolincafe and about checking out violin/fiddle tunes are good starting points.

Darthouellet
02-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Hey UUers,
I'm the new member guy in question. My big question was : Where and how can I find cool stuff, like we can find for the ukulele, for the mandolin. Everywhere I looked it is always about bluegrass and grandma's songs.... (don't want to insult anyone but this is not my thing. Even if bluegrass can be fun to play for a while). Where is the ROCK (other than Led Zepplin), the ballads, the classics that we like to play and sing with our ukulele. I tried to "morph" guitar tabs into mandolin tabs and the result was not very good (i did it with guitar pro 5). I searched for methods and books... The only thing I can find is about bluegrass.... As if all the italian roots of the instrument as dissapeared. And what about the major influence of the mandolin in the blues? In the late 1890, mandolin was the bomb!!!! People used to play jazz and blues with there mandolin. I find it difficult to believe that mandolin is now just a folk's songs thing.

But hey, there is a good side for all of this. That makes me buy my first ukulele! So I can play the songs I like with something else than my guitars. My ukulele now has a really important place in my life, but my mandolin is what makes me realised how fun and challenging it is to learn and to play with a new instrument.

One last thing... I'm not english so I'm sorry if i wrote something wrong. Oh and I already know about mandolin cafe. Thanks

Josh

buddhuu
02-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Hmm... quite a challenge. The majority of stuff on the web is bluegrass and old time.

Still here are a few places you may have missed:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/mandolin-tab/mandolin-tab-A.html - Pick other index letters with the links at the top of the page. Most of the tabs are pretty basic.
http://www.mandolin.org.uk/music/index.php
http://mandolinformation.blogspot.com/ - Check out the links in the right hand column.

If there is a tune I want mandolin tab for I usually google the title + "mandolin tab". or "violin tab" or "fiddle tab". These days I pretty much give up though, as there is so little good tab that is easy to find (except bluegrass and old time), and I try to work the tune out by ear.

EDIT TO ADD: Your English is fine :)

Darthouellet
02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info BuddhUU. I'm gonna look into it

:-)

aehalt
07-05-2011, 03:52 AM
reviving a dead thread-- - i've been playing the ukulele every day for a year now.

i recently picked up a mandolin and was very surprised with the lack of resources. mainly for the reasons the original poster pointed out.

jim richter on youtube has some really awesome blues sounding things and he makes the mandolin not sound...so mandolinish. i know that sounds dumb, but to clarify, if i strum the mandolin like a uke it can sound quite harsh, so i can't just transpose chords. i love picking the blues and thats waht i'm currently working on, blues scales and manipulations, but if the OP has any more info about what he's found i would greatly appreciate it.

Skitzic
07-05-2011, 05:36 AM
reviving a dead thread-- - i've been playing the ukulele every day for a year now.

i recently picked up a mandolin and was very surprised with the lack of resources. mainly for the reasons the original poster pointed out.

jim richter on youtube has some really awesome blues sounding things and he makes the mandolin not sound...so mandolinish. i know that sounds dumb, but to clarify, if i strum the mandolin like a uke it can sound quite harsh, so i can't just transpose chords. i love picking the blues and thats waht i'm currently working on, blues scales and manipulations, but if the OP has any more info about what he's found i would greatly appreciate it.

OP hasn't logged on since Feb, so don't know if he'll respond but I'll give it a go.

I'm with BuddhUU on this one. I pretty much gave up on trying to find Mandolin tabs. MandolinCafe has been helpful if I'm trying to learn a specific song, and more and more rock mandolin covers are popping up on youtube (is there a mandolin revolution in the works?!), so there may be some blues videos up. It wouldn't hurt to look. :)

Not sure what you mean about not sounding 'mandolinish.' That was my concern when I bought one as well, so I went with an oval hole instead of F holes...it's not as twangy as the F holed models I've played with.

Good luck!

RichM
07-05-2011, 07:35 AM
I've been playing mandolin for years and found an enormous amount of info on the web.

While there is a lot of bluegrass-related info on Mandolin Cafe, it's not a bluegrass board by any stretch. In fact, there are forums dedicated to different styles. It's the resource that is most similar to UU. While I'll agree that there are some aggressive members of the forum, they are easy enough to disregard; this site is an enormous source of info (and includes many links to other sites). http://www.mandolincafe.com

If you're looking for tablature, MandoZine is a great resource. Here's a direct link to their tab catalog: http://www.mandozine.com/music/tabledit_search.php

A mandolin is a different instrument than a uke or a guitar; if you try to play it like one, you're probably not going to like what you get. However, if you play it like a mandolin, it is a beautiful and versatile instrument.

aehalt
07-06-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm a fan of the way the mandolin sounds. When I made the comment about it being "mandolinish" I meant the twangy sound of being wielded by a newbie haha.

I'm getting used to it, slowly. Thanks for the help guys.

It's not just chords, I'm just generally looking for good sounding songs to tackle, but being new to bluegrass and the like it seems a little bit more difficult.

I'm mainly interested in old blues, ex. robert johnson, blind willie mctell... and i've been trying to play short blues riffs and solos to fit into that genre. it's been working out.