1906 Gibson Mandola screaming for help

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
018small.jpg 021small.jpg 020small.jpg
022small.jpg 017small.jpg

I have this 1906 Gibson Mandola that seems to need lots of work and I am wondering if it is even worth the money to fix and the effort to find the right person to fix it. There is nothing sentimental about it. It was given to me in this condition (that’s another story). If it were just the nut and the bridge I would think it was worth the effort but the rather large split down the back makes me think it is time to put a nut and bridge on, Clean it up and hang it on the wall somewhere, unfortunately never to be played again.

When I originally received this I did not see the split. I spoke to some Luthier’s. They told me they wouldn't touch it and that I should find an Master craftsman for this piece.

So please give me your opinions on if it’s worth it, what it should cost and what would you do?

As always, thanks to UU in advance.

In my opinion, its worth repairing but the question is whether you want to make that type of investment. I wouldn't quote a price without having it in hand. It shouldn't be used as a wall hanger.

Andrew

Post this at mandolincafe.com in the builders forum. You'll get lots of good advice from folks who know what they're talking about, including a couple who also are active here.

I'm no expert, but it's likely the instrument has become way too dry over the years. I saw a video of one of the top guitar makers repairing an old guitar with a center seam split on the soundboard. 95% of the repair was done with these hose humidifiers. He used three of them at a time in the sound hole, and over several weeks, refreshing the water in the hoses only once (as I recall), and with the instrument kept in a closed case in the interim, the seam closed back up. After that, I think he had his luthiers glue the seam and touch up the finish. If you can get the seam to close, you're most of the way there. Also, I'd try some virtuoso instrument polish on the finish to see if you can get the gunk off there.

You ought to try to get it repaired. Those old Gibson mandolas are going for some pretty high dollars in the vintage market.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but it's likely the instrument has become way too dry over the years. I saw a video of one of the top guitar makers repairing an old guitar with a center seam split on the soundboard. 95% of the repair was done with these hose humidifiers. He used three of them at a time in the sound hole, and over several weeks, refreshing the water in the hoses only once (as I recall), and with the instrument kept in a closed case in the interim, the seam closed back up. After that, I think he had his luthiers glue the seam and touch up the finish. If you can get the seam to close, you're most of the way there. Also, I'd try some virtuoso instrument polish on the finish to see if you can get the gunk off there.

Hi Matt, thanks for the advice. I have 2 questions, 1 of which is probably dumb. The dumb 1 first. Do you put the hose humidifier inside the instrument or just in the case with it? If you have seen this work I'll bet I have a good shot of it working and for $12, it's worth the chance. Second question, Do you think I should use the virtuoso polish or cleaner or both?. Thanks again. I was so disappointed when I saw the crack. not sure how I missed it 2 years ago when I opened it. Here are Gibsons quotes from back then (MAR 08).

New bridge - $375.00
New nut, level and dress frets – 325.00
(If instruments needs plane and re-fret with new nut - $525.00)
New pick guard - $385.00

What do you think? and thanks again for your comments and help.

Judging on the pic's... thats not too difficult to put right....find the right man and it will be almost as good as new.

You ought to try to get it repaired. Those old Gibson mandolas are going for some pretty high dollars in the vintage market.

You are 100% right depending the pricce of the repairs. Thats why i am asking. I figured since I started playing this 4 string instrument, it might be fun to try 8 strings. Especially since 8 is my lucky number. lol

Hi Matt, thanks for the advice. I have 2 questions, 1 of which is probably dumb. The dumb 1 first. Do you put the hose humidifier inside the instrument or just in the case with it? If you have seen this work I'll bet I have a good shot of it working and for $12, it's worth the chance. Second question, Do you think I should use the virtuoso polish or cleaner or both?. Thanks again. I was so disappointed when I saw the crack. not sure how I missed it 2 years ago when I opened it. Here are Gibsons quotes from back then (MAR 08).

New bridge - $375.00
New nut, level and dress frets – 325.00
(If instruments needs plane and re-fret with new nut - $525.00)
New pick guard - $385.00

What do you think? and thanks again for your comments and help.
With those prices quoted.. it looks to me! like they didn't want the job.

Mandolin is my main instrument. I would strongly urge you not to try any homemade repairs on a 104 year old mandola. It is worth a couple of thousand dollars even in the condition it is in now. I suspect your local luthiers would not touch this because they know how easy it is to screw up a repair on a vintage instrument, which would make it considerably less valuable. Since you are in New Jersey, I'd urge you to take the instrument to Lark Street Music in Teaneck, Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island or, better yet, master repair luthier Bob Jones in Brooklyn. This is not a $200 ukulele. Please don't experiment with it. You have a lot to lose if you do.

With those prices quoted.. it looks to me! like they didn't want the job.

So it's not me, They were very high? Maybe because it's GIBSON. Maybe it's like bringing your car to the dealer for major engine work vs the local mechanic. What do you think? i will try mandolincafe.com also for advice. because after this I think I'm gonna be looking for a luthier to give me an estimate. I would hate to give this away.

Post this at mandolincafe.com in the builders forum. You'll get lots of good advice from folks who know what they're talking about, including a couple who also are active here.

I agree....You'll need to find a restoration expert and it will be a little expensive, but vintage Gibson mandolins and mandolas are selling for a pretty penny and if you would like to keep it, it will be a nice legacy piece in your collection. Don MacRostie and Dan Erlewine at Stew-Mac do that kind of work...Also, Don MacRostie is the owner of Red Diamond Mandolins. Look him up to see his quality of work.

Good Luck! If you don't want to mess with it and want to sell it, PM me.

Jon

So it's not me, They were very high? Maybe because it's GIBSON. Maybe it's like bringing your car to the dealer for major engine work vs the local mechanic. What do you think? i will try mandolincafe.com also for advice. because after this I think I'm gonna be looking for a luthier to give me an estimate. I would hate to give this away.

Those prices are NOT high for restoration work on a vintage instrument. There is a lot of liability a luthier is taking on by agreeing to restore this instrument. If you do your research, you'll find the prices quoted are reasonable if they are for parts AND labor. Please consider taking your mandola to a restoration expert and not a local luthier...unless you have an expert locally :)

Jon

Mandolin is my main instrument. I would strongly urge you not to try any homemade repairs on a 104 year old mandola. It is worth a couple of thousand dollars even in the condition it is in now. I suspect your local luthiers would not touch this because they know how easy it is to screw up a repair on a vintage instrument, which would make it considerably less valuable. Since you are in New Jersey, I'd urge you to take the instrument to Lark Street Music in Teaneck, Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island or, better yet, master repair luthier Bob Jones in Brooklyn. This is not a $200 ukulele. Please don't experiment with it. You have a lot to lose if you do.

Thank you for your comment. Your sentiment is totally apppreciated. Based on your comment I am going to assume that you think Bob Jones in Brooklyn is the best man for the job. Is that true? I ask because If I am going to send it out I would rather start with the best suggestion. Thanks again.

To all those alarmed by the notion of working on this mandolin, please note, I didn't recommend trying to glue the seam or fix the finish on one's own. All I said was try humidifying it. Provided one doesn't over do it, it could go a long way turning this back into a player all on its own. I agree, it's too nice an instrument for an inexperienced repair person to risk buggering it up.

Yes, Bob Jones is an amazing talent. He would be my first choice, but getting to him can be a PIA and he's usually pretty booked up. But walk into his shop and you're likely to see several Lloyd Loar mandolins and vintage Martin D-28 guitars owned by very well known musicians. Bob is a player as well; he used to be in Andy Statman's band.

To all those alarmed by the notion of working on this mandolin, please note, I didn't recommend trying to glue the seam or fix the finish on one's own. All I said was try humidifying it. Provided one doesn't over do it, it could go a long way turning this back into a player all on its own. I agree, it's too nice an instrument for an inexperienced repair person to risk buggering it up.

Matt, my responses were not meant to be disrespectful of you or your advice. Speaking for myself only, I am only trying to stress to the poster that he has a diamond in the rough (if he doesn't know what he has)and because of that he needs to give it the proper respect (if he can afford to do so) by a restoration luthier to protect whatever investment he may have into it. I hope you weren't offended.

Best Regards,

Jon

Matt, First off, I didn't get the feeling you were telling me to try the glue it. I understood you saying to get a luthier to glue it. I mean you no disrespect. I am grateful to your advice as well as everyone elses advice.

2nd, of all the advice that I have recieved in this thread the only thing I was planning on trying was the hundifier, Well, that and contact an expert for the repair. Thank you for your suggestions. The humidifier seemed like it was worth trying. I was a little nervous about it but now after everyones comments I am down right scared to touch the thing.

Can you please explain as detailed as you are willing to go as how i can do the humidifier technique. or If you I should not bother trying? It seems logically a good idea for the wood either way. What do you think?

Should I not clean it with the virtuoso instrument polish?

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be crass, but if you have to ask how then don't do it. Again, this is a valuable instrument. Even if you didn't want to do the repair, it would be worth enough to trade it in for a very nice playable instrument. Any repair person is going to tell you the most expensive repair is fixing a poorly done repair. If you posted at the cafe then you'd have more info than you could shake a stick at from some of the leading vintage experts in the mandolin community. Also, don't clean it. You don't want to contaminate the crack and prevent proper adhesion when regluing it.

Top Bottom