PDA

View Full Version : The next thing I buy will be...

rock_and_roll_camera
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
A Mainland concert...

...or a banjo uke...

...or if everything goes to plan for Mike it will be both! Cool!

What is everybody planning on splashing the cash on?...

casarole45
02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
already have my mainland on order (concert gloss mahog, sealed geared tuners/ebony pegs) =D

Also cutting between buying next month:
Ohana CK-50GS

Ohana CK-75CG

Struggling to decide which one though... gargh!

gobes
02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
A Digitech Jamman Stereo.
http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/JamManStereo.php

rock_and_roll_camera
02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
That's a tough one... get them both and then you don't have to decide!

mds725
02-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Possibly a Mainland baritone, with GCEA tuning.

haole
02-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Strings .

nohandles
02-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Lumber to build for myself. I've set up a professional Luthiers shop and I'm going full time. I have 4 Ukes,- 2 spoken for, 2 guitars, 4 basses- 2 spoken for and one 5 string banjo.
I'll post some pictures soon.

Plainsong
02-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Probably strings. I've let some of my ukes go far too long...

But in terms of ukes, I'm having a crisis (..uhh, not in the Top Gear way, for anyone who gets that joke). I want a concert. I want mahogany. I'd like a Koaloha somewhere in my stash because that was my first uke, and I'm sentimental towards the brand. I want a Pohaku. I want a 6 string perhaps. I want a Collings.

So how do I combine all of those? Would a Pohaku be better for me than a Collings? Either or both could be mahogany? Would Peter build a 6 string concert? And where does Koaloha fit in this picture?

Decisions, decisions... but at least I found my perfect tenor, the Kanilea superconcert. I didn't say it was a tenor, I said it was my perfect tenor. :)

flea_bitten
02-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm saving for a banjo uke to go with the clawhammer I'm working on. This could take a while...:o

heymelbs
02-04-2010, 05:45 PM
already have my mainland on order (concert gloss mahog, sealed geared tuners/ebony pegs) =D

Hey, just like the one I just got, you're gonna' love it!!

heymelbs
02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
A Digitech Jamman Stereo.
http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/JamManStereo.php

Aargh, I've had the mono one with the high tech CompactFlash for a little over a month. Figures they'd come out with this new version. Can you say GAS!!

Papa Dave
02-04-2010, 05:50 PM
The next thing I buy will be... Something made especially for Papa Dave.

heymelbs
02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I'd get the CK-75CG if it were me, in fact I'm also feeling a little UAS right now.. Dang..

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-05-2010, 01:17 AM
I am buying a KoAlana Concert Ukulele with a pickup and engraving.

Scottz
02-05-2010, 03:58 AM
For me, most likely a Makala Dolphin. I can't even play my first ukulele yet, I just got it the other day. I chose a concert size Kala Koa based on a good size for an airline carry-on, but now that I have it I hate the thought of it getting damaged. So, I'm thinking of getting a good beater for trips and camping and such. Besides, don't I need something to keep at the office anyway ;)?

SweetWaterBlue
02-05-2010, 04:57 AM
A solid mahogany soprano. Most likely an Ohana sk-25 or sk-35G

paraclete
02-05-2010, 05:01 AM
No more ukes for awhile! Have to save up/ sell stuff to afford a Motu hybrid interface.

Skitzic
02-05-2010, 05:32 AM
I'd like a purple Dolphin eventually. There's a good chance I could get one (if I could find one) for Valentines. Much better chance of that vs the mango...

Swampy Steve
02-05-2010, 05:55 AM
A decent tenor, how decent depends,,

homEsick
02-05-2010, 08:57 AM
my next and last (yeah right, who am i kidding?) uke will be the tk75cg

hosenfeferdave
02-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Possibly a bigger diamond for my wife.

Russell T
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
A Mainland Mango tenor to go with my Mainland Mango soprano.

Swampy Steve
02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
A decent tenor, how decent depends,,

I can check this one off, :D

casarole45
02-06-2010, 06:29 AM
lol, well I just randomly ordered my Ohana CK-75CG. I just turned my brain off (thinking about money).... you see the beauty is its not in stock yet in Elderly so I ordered and thought.... I can worry about the money later... I'll just order it.. forget about it and then have an amazing day when it arrives.... the next day I may be white when I see my overdraft though..... sometimes its great just to do things and not think about the consequences =P (my wife WILL kill me)

didgeridoo2
02-06-2010, 06:57 AM
I don't have anything to plug in right now and I'm considering the Kala archtop, or maybe eleuke. I may have to employ the one in, one out philosophy and unload a current uke. But, I went to bed last night dreaming about the U-Bass. I don't play bass, but I've seen these a few times and it makes me want to learn.

Aunt Betty
02-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Late June or July, I would love to get a Mele mahogany pineapple with brown Worth strings, low G. (I called it a mango once...wrong fruit.) Mellow mango...no, mellow pineapple. Not that I don't love the ones I have.

Ahnko Honu
02-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Whopper with Cheese or a bowl of Beef Pho.
http://www.wellhungover.net/images/whopperwho.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5Iv3yXcH5co/SSIFBfZV5yI/AAAAAAAAAK4/SlkaYe9VyLM/s400/pho.bmp

Skitzic
02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
No Whopper. Get the Angus Delux burger...

casarole45
02-09-2010, 06:57 AM
No Whopper. Get the Angus Delux burger...

nom nom nom

Sic_Rob
02-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Hey, just like the one I just got, you're gonna' love it!!

Just received the same thing except MOP pegs. It is sweeet! You are gonna love it.

Sic_Rob
02-09-2010, 07:11 AM
I'd like a purple Dolphin eventually. There's a good chance I could get one (if I could find one) for Valentines. Much better chance of that vs the mango...

I just received my order of a purple dolphin and a pink dolphin for my daughters. I ordered them from Michael at MGM. I needed to wait a few weeks for them to come in but I received them Friday. Give him a call. He may have a few left. Good Luck.

As for me, I'm saving to build something this summer then I will be saving for a Martin tenor then I will be done I can't think past that..

Skitzic
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I just received my order of a purple dolphin and a pink dolphin for my daughters. I ordered them from Michael at MGM. I needed to wait a few weeks for them to come in but I received them Friday. Give him a call. He may have a few left. Good Luck.

As for me, I'm saving to build something this summer then I will be saving for a Martin tenor then I will be done I can't think past that..

I already ordered it. It shipped out and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I'm so excited!

I'm already eyeing up the fluke I want for my birthday in Aug.

SamD
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
The next thing I buy will probably be a pint :)

The next instrument I buy will either be a concert of some sort (maybe a Mainland), or a mandolin

nobby8126
02-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Next thing I want to buy is a reasonable tenor. looking around the 150 mark or cheaper as I can't warrant spending more till I am rippin it up on the ones I have. Any suggestions welcome, swaying towards kala but really dont know enough about ukes to make an educated decision.

psesinkclee
02-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Got a Ko'olau CE-1 (solid body electric) on its way via UkeRepublic, but not the regular one you see with a mahogany body and koa top... this one is Hawaiian Ash with ebony everything :)

After I recover from this.. I'll be waiting for Kala to come out with the Acacia Baritone fullforce (I've heard May or June..).

Skrik
02-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Cases and hangers. I've been neglecting both for some time, and catching up will cost the price of a new ukulele.

Skitzic
02-11-2010, 04:20 AM
The next thing I will buy: a snow shovel and a prostitute to dig my house out.

hoosierhiver
02-11-2010, 04:42 AM
I've been going a little crazy buying alot of beat up banjo-ukes off Ebay to repair, now if I can only find the time to repair them...

didgeridoo2
02-14-2010, 06:26 AM
I don't have anything to plug in right now and I'm considering the Kala archtop, or maybe eleuke. I may have to employ the one in, one out philosophy and unload a current uke. But, I went to bed last night dreaming about the U-Bass. I don't play bass, but I've seen these a few times and it makes me want to learn.
check.

now, do I take bass lessons before or after I decide to pick up the UBass?

pdxuke
02-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Kiwaya KTS4 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Kiwaya-Solid-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-KTS-4-dlx-case_W0QQitemZ250578007451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3a579cf59b)

luvdat
02-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Kiwaya KTS4 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Kiwaya-Solid-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-KTS-4-dlx-case_W0QQitemZ250578007451QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3a579cf59b)

Be prepared for what may be the ukulele love of your life.

pdxuke
02-14-2010, 09:18 AM

Have you played one? Do tell!

MartinLil
02-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Nooooooooo! Don't tell me this! I'm in love with my Sceptre and am dying for a soprano. A tenor too! I think I have a severe case of UAS :(

ukulelearp
02-14-2010, 11:32 AM
A vintage martin soprano. Year isn't as important as condition.

Monkeyswithladders
02-16-2010, 03:36 AM
I just made the decision to curb my instrument acquisition syndrome for a little while and purchase a puppy. I'm super excited about it :D I'm thinking I'll wait a month into my new schedule to ensure that I have as much attention time for a new puppy as I think I will, then pick him up around the beginning of April if everything looks right. I can't freaking wait.

GreyPoupon
02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Have you played one? Do tell!

I have tremendous respect for Kiwaya. I had a Kiwaya KTS 4 for a while - light as a feather, VERY responsive, and very loud and deep sounding.

(I sold it because I found a custom that is not necessarily better but that somehow captured my heart.)

I would recommend it for a finger style player or someone with a loud voice - otherwise you won't hear your singing over the uke. Fantastic instrument overall.

And my next purchase: A Kaniliea Concert... or maybe a KoAloha pineapple...

pdxuke
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I just made the decision to curb my instrument acquisition syndrome for a little while and purchase a puppy. I'm super excited about it :D I'm thinking I'll wait a month into my new schedule to ensure that I have as much attention time for a new puppy as I think I will, then pick him up around the beginning of April if everything looks right. I can't freaking wait.

Amd if it doesn't work out, you can sell or trade the puppy in the marketplace!

(Kidding...kidding...)

(Don't let my two standard poodles hear me say that...)

Monkeyswithladders
02-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Amd if it doesn't work out, you can sell or trade the puppy in the marketplace!

(Kidding...kidding...)

(Don't let my two standard poodles hear me say that...)

Lol... WTT Boston Terrier for Mainland Mahogany

psesinkclee
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Getting an Ohana all solid mahogany Baritone from UkeRepublic in the next couple of weeks :)

Then debating between a Koa or a Flower-etched Fluke Tenor. Leaning towards the Flower laser etched one to bring along on travels and leave my Mahogany Tenor at home :D

luvdat
02-20-2010, 12:49 AM
I have tremendous respect for Kiwaya. I had a Kiwaya KTS 4 for a while - light as a feather, VERY responsive, and very loud and deep sounding.

(I sold it because I found a custom that is not necessarily better but that somehow captured my heart.)

I would recommend it for a finger style player or someone with a loud voice - otherwise you won't hear your singing over the uke. Fantastic instrument overall.

And my next purchase: A Kaniliea Concert... or maybe a KoAloha pineapple...

With respect to the Kiwaya, you nailed down the 2 provisos.

What I like about pineapple sopranos is how easy (for me) it is to sing with them. For that 20's kind of playing/singing a great standard is fine. But with a really loud, compressed soprano, I have to tone things down with playing, strumming, soften things evn with chordal melodic interplay.

To completely come clean, I could recommend the standard Kiwaya looking for THAT sound, but not for myself, and would opt for the pineapple. To go even further, standards at this point get on my nerves, overall, in the longhaul, and even a loud quality standard...the value of that I could only temporarily appreciate.