chords

tylerk

Reaction score
ok so i know there are major, minor, and 7. what ells is there?

Many, many, many different kinds! Being that we only have 4 strings to work with narrows things down a bit, but there are still thousands of chords. As far as I know, chord are divided up into four categories: major, minor, diminished, and augmented. 7th chords just add a note to major chords, so that's how they fit in. All the other chords you hear about add or change (or both) those basic forms. Some of the common ones are: major 7th, minor 7th, 6th, 6/9, 9th, and sus. Like I said, there are thousands of chords, but if you could detail what you are looking for and why, we could probably help you better.

Hi Tylerk.

As Hippie Guy said, there are many different kinds of chords.

Many of them are what are called extended chords, which are made by stacking additional notes "on top" of the basic chords.

I'd suggest that you google "introduction to chord theory" or "beginner chord theory", or maybe "chord construction". Once you understand just a little about how chords work it becomes easier to grasp how and why there are so many different kinds of chords, and the differences between the types.

ABCDEFG, Am,Bm,Cm,Dm,Em,Fm,Gm,A7,B7,C7,D7,E7,F7,G7, Am7,Bm7,Cm7,Dm7,Em7,Fm7,Gm7.
Learn these, look up the rest as needed.
"I never memorize anything I can look up" Albert Einstein

Almost bit at that ^^^
Sarcasm noted.

I just couldn't resist. My fingers were typing independent of thought. :)

I just look up the cords as needed really. It would be better for me if I learned my scales, and then when my husband wants to play something I don't know, I'd actually be able to read the freaking music, but my inner kid just wants to play.

a Dm add 11 chord would be the notes D,F,A and traditionally a high G. (impossible strech to the 1st string 10th fret.)
Play a Dm (2210)-to add an 11, play the G string open (0210) -GDFA

Top Bottom