PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Ukulele artist

therimidalv
05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm just starting out on the uke, and I love it, but i really what you're guys' opinions about your favorite ukulele players so i know some good uke music to learn to play to. Currently I'm constantly listening to Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, which i think is incredible but I'd also love to hear what other players i should listen too. :music:

Keonikapila
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Troy Fernandez (Ka'au Crater Boys) was the reason I started playing the uke. I also listen to a lot of Herb Ohta Jr and of course Jake Shimabukuro. If you haven't heard any of Jake's early stuff from when he was with Pureheart you should check it out...also, they released one cd as Colón which was pretty good too

thejumpingflea
05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Herb Ohta Jr. and Daniel Ho are great. As well is Jake Shimabukuro and James Hill. Lyle Ritz is up there too. My number one favorite is probably Herb Ohta-San. You can't beat the master. :worship:

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I hardly know any lmao.. So i guess it would be bruddah iz - whoo@!

tad
05-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Some listed above, plus:

Cliff Edwards
Dent May and his Magnificent Ukulele
Ukulele Girls
Koenig Sister
Folk Uke

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
05-14-2008, 06:56 PM
the above mentioned uku players are all terrific, allow me to add a few to the list:

"Heinous" Rynes
Uncle Moe Keale
Brook Adams

hawaiianmusiclover06
05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
My favorites have to be in this order:

Herb Ohta, Jr.
Daniel Ho
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Weldon Kekauoha
Bryan Tolentino
Jake Shimaburukuro

Alana

tad
05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
"Heinous" Rynes

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Kekani
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Peter Moon, Eddie Kamae, Ledward Kaapana (yes, he plays `ukulele), Benny Chong, Byron Yasui, Bill Tapia,

rayan
05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
lol no one even mentioned Aldrine.

Plainsong
05-14-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd like to give a shout out to Uni and her Ukulele (http://www.unimusic.us). She was awesome live, and the cd is great, and no one here seems to know who she is.

uber_goober
05-15-2008, 01:58 AM
I've gotta say that I really dig Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta, Jr. Aldrine rocks too. :)

-John

davoomac
05-15-2008, 04:11 AM
Jake and pureheart really got me going on the ukulele.:D

Fast forward later to me rediscovering my ukulele when I saw Aldrine's stuff :worship:

So I'd have to say Jake and Aldrine are my fave ukulele artists right now.

Esy
05-15-2008, 04:18 AM
jake as solist and gugug as band:nana:

salukulady
05-15-2008, 04:33 AM
I'd like to give a shout out to Uni and her Ukulele (http://www.unimusic.us). She was awesome live, and the cd is great, and no one here seems to know who she is.Thanks for sharing her...another one I like is Victoria Vox.

sheldon
05-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Troy Fernandez (Ka'au Crater Boys) was the reason I started playing the uke. I also listen to a lot of Herb Ohta Jr and of course Jake Shimabukuro. If you haven't heard any of Jake's early stuff from when he was with Pureheart you should check it out...also, they released one cd as Colón which was pretty good too

rajah dat! Troy Fernandez with Ka`au Crater Boys & his collaboration CD, Jake with Pure Heart and Colon, and Braddah Iz.

the first songs I remember were all Braddah Iz and "Kawika" and "On Fire" by the Ka`au Crater Boys.

acabooe
05-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Braddah IZ
Jake
Aldrine

They are the one's that inspire me to do betta.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

backdoc972
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
She seems to be only a youtube phenom, but I really like sweetafton23. I have no idea what her real name is. She is quirky but really talented.

Craig
05-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Herb Ohta Jr. and Daniel Ho are great. As well is Jake Shimabukuro and James Hill. Lyle Ritz is up there too. My number one favorite is probably Herb Ohta-San. You can't beat the master. :worship:

I knew there was something about you I liked...;) I'm a HUGE fan of Ohta-San!:bowdown: I also recently saw Benny Chong live... If I wasn't already bald, I would be after his concert... I'm still recovering. My wife and I have also seen Jake live. He too is great, it's just the other two play more of the kind of music that I'm into.

Poi Dog
05-15-2008, 02:00 PM
My favorite artists to listen to would have to be Bruddah Iz, Jake, Peter Moon, da guyz from Hapa, Ka'au Crater Boys, Malino and Mana'o Company.

But I would say watching Aldine, Rayan, Danyo and Seeso has given me the inspiration to do better and continue learning. (Not sucking up brah... just tellin' it like it is!) LOL :D

UKESTAR
05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I am shocked that so many people kind of just threw Jake in the mix at the end of the list or totally left him out.

Is it that he is so talented that it is a given or are some of the UU members just not that impressed by his skills?

Plainsong
05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
It's not a lack of being impressed. I mean come on, what is there to not be impressed about? I can only answer for me, and for me, the music doesn't speak to me. The skills speak to me, I'd love to see him live, and I'm sure that's where the music shines. But the studio stuff, it's great, and the technique is second to none, but the music doesn't touch me. That's just me, and we all have favorite (uke and non-uke) artists whose work speaks most to us.

tad
05-15-2008, 03:58 PM
It's not a lack of being impressed. I mean come on, what is there to not be impressed about? I can only answer for me, and for me, the music doesn't speak to me. The skills speak to me, I'd love to see him live, and I'm sure that's where the music shines. But the studio stuff, it's great, and the technique is second to none, but the music doesn't touch me. That's just me, and we all have favorite (uke and non-uke) artists whose work speaks most to us.

Ditto. He's amazing, but it's not really my style of music...

KoloheBoy
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I'd have to say Aldrine Guerrero. because he actually GIVES people something, not just music like most people. And also because he inspired me to get serious into the uke after I had a difficult time learning summer breeze on my own and made me want to follow his work. THANKS :D

rayan
05-15-2008, 06:06 PM

That's actually refreshing to hear. He is no doubt one of the most influential ukulele players around but a lot of people think that Jake is the end all be all for the ukulele. He is definitely one of my favs but not the only one I enjoy.

The uke is so versatile that it can be used for almost all types of music. Trust me, we used to do a lot of distortion with it back in the 90s:music:

14twelve
05-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I haven't really heard many of the more traditional players, but my favourites of all the ones I have heard are Aldrine, Seeso, Russbuss and Jake. Oh, and Max the ukulele punk rocker :)

ukulele-antihero86
05-16-2008, 09:55 AM
But I would say watching Aldine, Rayan, Danyo and Seeso has given me the inspiration to do better and continue learning. (Not sucking up brah... just tellin' it like it is!) LOL :D

Same here.

Lanark
05-16-2008, 12:37 PM

I'm in here too. Talent cannot be denied. But not my cup of tea.

(I'll also further alienate & incriminate myself in saying that I don't care who sings it and how beautifully, but I've always found "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" to be a dreadful song. Absolutely no disrespect to Iz intended, but I really can't stand that schmaltzy song. Just bleh on it. Definitely not my favorite Harold Arlen tune....)

I did get my copy of Lyle Ritz's "How About Uke?" from Amazon today. I think that's going to confound, frustrate and inspire me for a long while...

Plainsong
05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Somewhere Over the Rainbow works awesome when you toss What a Wonderful World into the mix, which always struck me as a sad song. I don't usually like Somewhere, but the arangement Iz uses I find great.

I guess it's like saying you didn't like The English Patient (Seinfeld reference). :)

menehunenyc
05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Although I find jake and james awesomely inspiring, I still get the biggest smile on my face when I watch the vids done by Gus of GUGUG Youtube fame. Hootin' and a Howlin' is a riot.

redsedge
05-16-2008, 09:00 PM
She seems to be only a youtube phenom, but I really like sweetafton23. I have no idea what her real name is. She is quirky but really talented.

I'm glad someone mentioned this lady. I think her name may be Molly. I'm currently spending hours trying to play her version of "Tom Cruise Crazy".

Others obsessing me at the moment are Joe Brown with "I'll See you in my Dreams" and Lyle Ritz's "Tonight You Belong to Me".

And there's the wonderful Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain too.

Regster
05-16-2008, 09:16 PM
don't really know that many uke musicians but my favorite jake, aldrine and guting for now.

Howlin Hobbit
05-17-2008, 04:17 AM
I still get the biggest smile on my face when I watch the vids done by Gus of GUGUG Youtube fame.

Gus is rockin'! So's his friend, Fin.

Have any of you checked out the vids of Brian Hefferan (http://youtube.com/heftone)?

You should.

salukulady
05-22-2008, 07:00 PM
At my local uke jam, we had a guest tonight that is scheduled to conduct a workshop and put on concert this weekend. His name is Kimo Hussey. He only played two numbers but he was amazing.

menehunenyc
05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Gus is rockin'! So's his friend, Fin.

Have any of you checked out the vids of Brian Hefferan (http://youtube.com/heftone)?

You should.

Thanks Hobbit, I'll have to take abit more time to watch his vids. I love ragtime piano, and if is played on the uke, all the better.:nana: I'll give you my review later...

SailQwest
05-23-2008, 03:42 AM
There are lots of people mentioned on this thread, but I didn't see Taimane Gardner (napolianboo on YT).

seeso
05-23-2008, 03:45 AM
Taimane is a great player, and great performer, too.

nikolo727
05-23-2008, 08:58 AM
i love all ukulele players to be honest!

:worship::bowdown::worship:

but a few of my favorites are:

Jake Shimabukuro(of course)

Aldrine G ( of course)

Seeso (of course)

James Hill

Ohato San

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian

and of course, my favorite

Bruddah Iz.

Wait for me buddy :)

zebullon
05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Jake & Aldrine : The very Ukuleleness.

Reason why i started playing...

tripl3thr33
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Jake and pureheart really got me going on the ukulele.:D

Fast forward later to me rediscovering my ukulele when I saw Aldrine's stuff :worship:

So I'd have to say Jake and Aldrine are my fave ukulele artists right now.

Jake & Aldrine : The very Ukuleleness.

Reason why i started playing...

yup same here, i remember seeing pure heart live for my bro's graduation and it was awesome. then the widespread video of jake's gently weeps and aldrine's playing really got my into the uke even more.

as for my favorites, i've really begun to appreciate imua garza recently (although for some odd reason that escapes me, i didn't really like him before) and also many of the artists that are already stated (like jake, taimane, aldrine, herb ohta jr, etc.)

GForce83
08-13-2008, 07:35 AM
I know he doesn't play it often, but when Elvis Costello picks up the ukulele it's magical ... and max the ukulele punk rocker obviously!

RON<>VA
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Tiny Tim Yes, I am kidding! !

ukusaurus
08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Julia Nunes. :rock:

thejumpingflea
08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
James Hill hands down.

He's not all flashy like Jake, he just wants to make unique sounds. He is also a great guy to talk to and was a great teacher at the Seattle Uke Fest this year. His innovation is unmatched. I am a big fan of his work.

h-drix
08-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Itch from the king blues (http://www.myspace.com/thekingblues) he isnt flashy he might not even be that good lol, but he got me playing and he plays well for his style.

experimentjon
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I noticed that Imua Garza of Opihi Pickers hasn't been mentioned yet. He is amazing live. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to see him live again since I believe the Opihi Pickers are taking a break. But he was very impressive. In fact, I don't think I can fairly judge the full abilities of the players based on just videos and CDs...they really shine that much more when you see them live. So of the players I have seen live, the ones that have impressed me the most are:

Aldrine Gurrero
Jake Shimabukuro
Imua Garza

But jake could throw in a "parlor trick" once in a while just for kicks like Aldrine and Imua. Those are so fun to watch in person.

duanejudo
08-13-2008, 03:37 PM
aldrine guerrero
danyo cummings

JoeyJr858
08-13-2008, 03:57 PM
yeah... I can't believe Imua Garza wasn't mentioned till page 5.
You know who's also really SOLID is BB (Blind Boy) Shawn Ishimoto. Bruddah is UNREAL!

Iz
Imua Garza - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12jSqT5yBJw
Jake Shimabukuro
Aldrine Guerrero
BB Shawn Ishimoto - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JjimMO2SdE (can't find footage of him on uke, but it's pretty awesome!)
Troy Fernandez

UkeCanDoIt!
08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Is there a source for free mp3s of some of these performers? I'd buy CDs, but I'm between jobs and that's not much of an option at the moment. I'd love to be able to listen to them on my iPod.

GForce83
08-14-2008, 03:58 AM
You can listen to all the King Blues stuff on their MySpace page or go to their website and you can download tracks. They're well worth a listen.

Itch from the king blues (http://www.myspace.com/thekingblues) he isnt flashy he might not even be that good lol, but he got me playing and he plays well for his style.

Completely agree. I was already playing a bit of uke when I first saw Itch doing a solo set supporting Capdown and he completely changed the way I looked at the instrument ... no more melowed down versions of punk rock songs for me - real acoustic punk rock all the way.

h-drix
08-14-2008, 04:10 AM
i wish i could see them live. I doubt they'll ever travel across the pond =(

cMejilla
08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
james hill got me into the uke and all of its possibilities and jake's playing really pushed me to get one.

Kaneohe til the end
09-03-2008, 11:48 PM
yeah... I can't believe Imua Garza wasn't mentioned till page 5.
You know who's also really SOLID is BB (Blind Boy) Shawn Ishimoto. Bruddah is UNREAL!

Iz
Imua Garza - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12jSqT5yBJw
Jake Shimabukuro
Aldrine Guerrero
BB Shawn Ishimoto - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JjimMO2SdE (can't find footage of him on uke, but it's pretty awesome!)
Troy Fernandez

BB shawn is blind. hows that for talent. my dad's friend had his house-warming party awhile back on moloka'i and since BB Shawn is his nephew, he performed. and kalani robb was there too, for you surfers who know

uke142464
09-04-2008, 01:25 AM
hmmm who do i like that plays the uke.......
:love:JAKE:love:
hehe, yea hes good, and ohta san. junu rocks too. dominator, deach, lol
i dont know many other people, I just play it

haole
09-04-2008, 05:26 AM
I honestly don't know a lot of uke musicians. :o But I dig Iz, Jake, and especially Aldrine (the CD rocks!).

A friend sent me the soundtrack to an obscure anime called "NieA_7" and it's ukulele-based Hawaiian instrumental music. I love it. :D Unfortunately, it's near impossible to find anything else done by the artist (Oowa Yoshio).

As for Ohta-san, Cliff Edwards, and the other legends...I think I know what to spend my extra iTunes gift cards on now.

Tonya
09-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Bryan Tolentino for all around gifted playing and the ability to inspire me to work at getting better by just listening to his playing...

keonepax
09-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Ohta-san's "Song for Anna" remains my favorite ukulele recording, so Ohta-san goes to the top of my list. I also like Herb Ohta, Jr., Daniel Ho, and Brittni Paiva.

For live performance, Jake Shimabukuro.

For players who also sing, Iz and Raiatea Helm.

For teaching, Aldrine.

For YouTube, Bosko and Honey and their awesome Safari series.

Last but not least, the regulars who share their videos in the videos section of Ukulele Underground. You inspire me as much as anyone!

4strings707
09-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Bryan Tolentino for all around gifted playing and the ability to inspire me to work at getting better by just listening to his playing...

bryan tolentino is the shiznit. is he filipino?

keonepax
09-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Oh, one more! If I could "steal" someone's talent, I'd like to play like Peter Moon.

nikolo727
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Iz, Jake, Aldrine, Dominator, UKISOCIETY, Julia Nunes, James Hill, Ken Middleton, of course Deach(lol), and there are so many other i just cant think of right now. lol.

I must say I really love Dominators music. I love how accurately he tabs out instrumental versions of some very famous songs. kudos to you broh.

:bowdown:

salsarocket
09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Jacob Borshard. He's not the greatest uke player out there, and he records all his stuff in his living room, but his music is really good. It's a shame not too many people know about him.

Kanaka916
09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Jacob Borshard. He's not the greatest uke player out there, and he records all his stuff in his living room, but his music is really good. It's a shame not too many people know about him.

I've seen a couple of his vids on YouTube, sorry no links, just do a search. He also has a website called Creebobby (http://www.creebobby.com/music.html) and you can download some of his MP3s.