How Many Ukes?

Select the answer that BEST describes you.

• I own 1 uke

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I own 2-5 ukes

Votes: 70 47.9%
  • I own 3-10 ukes

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I have over 10 ukes

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • I don't have any ukes....yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pdxuke

Reaction score
I was reading a thread the other day and there were some comments to the effect that people who had a lot of ukes were bad mommies and daddies because they didn't have just one or two ukes and shower them with their love. :rolleyes: And since I kind of disagree with that thesis, as much as I'd disagree that since I'm a father of three I gave my three children less love than fathers of one child shower down upon their only child. It's just a ridiculous argument, IMHO.

I happen to own about a half dozen ukes right now, and I play them all, and like them all, and they are just as much a part of me as one uke would be, LOLZ.

So..

Let's see what's going on out there. Where do you fit on this unscientific poll?

I have three ukes, all of them vastly different. I think that once you have a certain number it's impossible to play each as much as you'd like. For me, I appreciate each of my ukes for different reasons, and they all have different tones. I have to say, if I bought another soprano I would definitely feel like I was cheating on my Lanikai which was my first uke and one I'll always love the most. :)

I have 4. One super cheap soprano, a concert mahogany Ohana Ck-35, a concert maple Dawgnot which was gifted to me and seems to be a luthiers first or second build and my mahogany tenor Mainland.

Just bought my 13th. I love each of my ukes as I do my children, and many of mine are lent out often to friends and family in hopes of spreading the love. Here's my latest, an Ohana Zebra Wood Soprano named Thelma. She makes me very happy. Isn't she lovely? (need to learn that song to sing to her.)

I have 3, used to have 4, have had 2 or 3 others at some point but never more then 4 at once. I really don't see myself with more then maybe 6. I ususally end up playing my nice ukulele and the others just sit in thier cases. I keep one at work and use my soprano when I travel so the 3 I have all have thier place.

I'm trying to keep the number down as well, so that they all get played. I'm trying to stay around 5ish. One of them isn't in a playable or sellable condition (and I'm too pissed at it to spend more money getting it back into a playable condition), which leaves 4. But then I want at least 2 maybe 3 more. The third would be stupid, but that means one of my ukes is the odd man out. That would probably be the Kala Lacewood, but it's so pretty and sounds and feels so nice, and it's good to have a less expensive uke to take with you, while still having a very distinctive sound.

I have four, but I really only play 2...my Kamaka is the most played, and lately I've been just playing the Pineapple Sunday. Sadly, the Kanile'a and soprano usually languish alone on the wall of my office. I guess I'm a bad "mom" then since it appears I do have favorites after all.

i have 3....my soprano koaloha, my flea and my mainland concert...im a big fan of having ukes with different "purposes" too...i want 2 more...a cigar box and a pineapple...to me that would round out my set.

Well...(sob)...I currently have 12 ukuleles! I spend time with everyone each day, and I take a different one with me to work each day, so I guess I'm a good uke daddy...(eating is over-rated anyway)I now have spread my love to harmonicas, strumsticks, drums, rattles, rainsticks, tamborines, didgeridoos, jawharps, and even (gasp, sob, wheeeze) a guitar that's too big for my car! SOMEBODY...help meeee!
:iwant: MORE!!

I feel for the poor saps with 3, 4 or 5 ukes who have to decide which category to chose: 2-5 or 3-10! ;)

I currently have 11 but I'm soon going to be trying to sell a couple. Then again, I'll have another couple ukes within a couple months (my custom Boat Paddle and my Ibanez Iceman) to fill those slots.

I have 12 at the moment, a couple of which aren't really playable (not easily at least). I like to have different instruments for different purposes, which is why I also have 8 bass guitars!

I have 3 - Kamaka Soprano named Faith, Lanikai Concert named Deni and a Lanikai Baritone named Papa...working on getting a Tenor to complete my set. However, I have a Ibanez guitar named Red and I would love to learn how to play a Djembe drum. Music makes the world-go-round!

Five. Two sopranos, a concert, a tenor, and a baritone. In order to achieve ukulele equilibrium, I'll need to have two of each!

I have 8. I give them ALL regular rotation at the Uke Stand next to my computer where I work.
Maybe rotate every week or so. Then I always feel like I have a new uke next to my desk to pick up and play!

I may be adding more in the future, I have a hard time visiting Hawaii and not getting a new uke!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Top Bottom