PDA

View Full Version : How Many Ukes?

pdxuke
02-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I was reading a thread the other day and there were some comments to the effect that people who had a lot of ukes were bad mommies and daddies because they didn't have just one or two ukes and shower them with their love. :rolleyes: And since I kind of disagree with that thesis, as much as I'd disagree that since I'm a father of three I gave my three children less love than fathers of one child shower down upon their only child. It's just a ridiculous argument, IMHO.

I happen to own about a half dozen ukes right now, and I play them all, and like them all, and they are just as much a part of me as one uke would be, LOLZ.

So..

Let's see what's going on out there. Where do you fit on this unscientific poll?

NatalieS
02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I have three ukes, all of them vastly different. I think that once you have a certain number it's impossible to play each as much as you'd like. For me, I appreciate each of my ukes for different reasons, and they all have different tones. I have to say, if I bought another soprano I would definitely feel like I was cheating on my Lanikai which was my first uke and one I'll always love the most. :-)

Melissa82
02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I have 4. One super cheap soprano, a concert mahogany Ohana Ck-35, a concert maple Dawgnot which was gifted to me and seems to be a luthiers first or second build and my mahogany tenor Mainland.

salukulady
02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Just bought my 13th. I love each of my ukes as I do my children, and many of mine are lent out often to friends and family in hopes of spreading the love. Here's my latest, an Ohana Zebra Wood Soprano named Thelma. She makes me very happy. Isn't she lovely? (need to learn that song to sing to her.)

dnewton2
02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I have 3, used to have 4, have had 2 or 3 others at some point but never more then 4 at once. I really don't see myself with more then maybe 6. I ususally end up playing my nice ukulele and the others just sit in thier cases. I keep one at work and use my soprano when I travel so the 3 I have all have thier place.

Plainsong
02-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm trying to keep the number down as well, so that they all get played. I'm trying to stay around 5ish. One of them isn't in a playable or sellable condition (and I'm too pissed at it to spend more money getting it back into a playable condition), which leaves 4. But then I want at least 2 maybe 3 more. The third would be stupid, but that means one of my ukes is the odd man out. That would probably be the Kala Lacewood, but it's so pretty and sounds and feels so nice, and it's good to have a less expensive uke to take with you, while still having a very distinctive sound.

wickedwahine11
02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I have four, but I really only play 2...my Kamaka is the most played, and lately I've been just playing the Pineapple Sunday. Sadly, the Kanile'a and soprano usually languish alone on the wall of my office. I guess I'm a bad "mom" then since it appears I do have favorites after all.

ritzer012
02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
i have 3....my soprano koaloha, my flea and my mainland concert...im a big fan of having ukes with different "purposes" too...i want 2 more...a cigar box and a pineapple...to me that would round out my set.

Ukeffect
02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Well...(sob)...I currently have 12 ukuleles! I spend time with everyone each day, and I take a different one with me to work each day, so I guess I'm a good uke daddy...(eating is over-rated anyway)I now have spread my love to harmonicas, strumsticks, drums, rattles, rainsticks, tamborines, didgeridoos, jawharps, and even (gasp, sob, wheeeze) a guitar that's too big for my car! SOMEBODY...help meeee!
:iwant: MORE!!

portlandjosh
02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I feel for the poor saps with 3, 4 or 5 ukes who have to decide which category to chose: 2-5 or 3-10! ;)

PaulGeo
02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I assume you meant 2-5 and 6-10? I have 6 now but I'm expecting one next week :)

Nuprin
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I currently have 11 but I'm soon going to be trying to sell a couple. Then again, I'll have another couple ukes within a couple months (my custom Boat Paddle and my Ibanez Iceman) to fill those slots.

flea_bitten
02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Two ukes. A cheapy Mahalo and a Flea but it will definitely be three before the year is out.:nana:

Chris Tarman
02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I have 12 at the moment, a couple of which aren't really playable (not easily at least). I like to have different instruments for different purposes, which is why I also have 8 bass guitars!

Sonseeker30
02-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I have 3 - Kamaka Soprano named Faith, Lanikai Concert named Deni and a Lanikai Baritone named Papa...working on getting a Tenor to complete my set. However, I have a Ibanez guitar named Red and I would love to learn how to play a Djembe drum. Music makes the world-go-round!

DeG
02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/0d85855602c1b846a688e8bf4ac5a1504g.jpg

Group photo...There's 8 ukes in the pic, and #9 is a cigar box I've made since taking this picture...

haole
02-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Five. Two sopranos, a concert, a tenor, and a baritone. In order to achieve ukulele equilibrium, I'll need to have two of each!

Skottoman
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I have 8. I give them ALL regular rotation at the Uke Stand next to my computer where I work.
Maybe rotate every week or so. Then I always feel like I have a new uke next to my desk to pick up and play!

I may be adding more in the future, I have a hard time visiting Hawaii and not getting a new uke!
Cheers,
Skottoman

pdxuke
02-04-2010, 06:00 PM
I feel for the poor saps with 3, 4 or 5 ukes who have to decide which category to chose: 2-5 or 3-10! ;)

HA HA, yes, you're right, I can't count very well! That's what you get when a theatre guy designs a mathematical poll!

MGM
02-04-2010, 06:10 PM
I lost count...lol won't even try to guess

pdxuke
02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I lost count...lol won't even try to guess

HA HA! Let me guess, Mike: you collected before you were in business. Right?

Lori
02-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I have 9, and I feel some of them get a bit neglected. But I love them all, and don't want to give any of them up. I think maybe if I had just 6, they would get more equal treatment. But that's not going to stop me, I'm sure. I will play as many as possible for as long as possible. Only if I got to the point where I couldn't play them anymore, would I consider thinning the herd.

–Lori

GX9901
02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I've got 14 at the moment, with one being built in Maryland right now. I actually wrote a recent blog post (http://gx9901ukes.blogspot.com/2010/01/ukulele-usage-analysis.html)analyzing the playing time each one of my ukes get...:p

kenikas
02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I have seven; four soprano's, one concert, one tenor and one baritone. All since I picked up my first uke in August! Actually three of the soprano's technically belong to my grandkids, and a couple of the ukes are in various states of repair but I do try to play them all at leat once or twice a week. UAS...what UAS?

experimentjon
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Not quite sure how many, because I am rarely at home anymore now, and when I go home, I usually pull out my Pineapple Sunday or Sceptre now. Sadly, I do know that I have more than 10.

Ahnko Honu
02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Don't have any but would like to one day get a baritone pineapple.

buddhuu
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I have two ukes and my wife has one. As she rarely picks hers up to try and learn, I've become its foster father - thus I claim 3.

I have a Kala solid mahogany tenor and a kind of lilac coloured Makala dolphin. My wife's 'ukulele is a Stagg solid mahogany soprano. I also have the remains of a Makala dolphin that I have demolished in the course of various set-up and construction experiments, but that no longer counts as a whole uke!

clayton56
02-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Kind of reminds me of a bake sale we had in grade school - one kid was selling cupcakes at .10 cents each or two for a quarter. You'd be surprised how many kids bought two for a quarter.

I thought seven might be good - one for each day of the week. However, after some further study, I've divided my ukes into strummers (those with 12 frets) and pickers (those with 14 or more) and with different uses and strings, high G and low G, that quashes the theory. I even put low guitar strings on my Pono Ohai soprano for a mini-bass that goes down to A. So now I have 7 with one on order, and I'm actually spreading it kind of thin.

guitharsis
02-04-2010, 11:38 PM
I have two: a KoAloha concert and Pono Ohai soprano, but I've experimented with many.:) Also have one on the way, a gorgeous KoAloha standard soprano from MGM.

nohandles
02-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I have 17 not including my wife's but I've been collection them for 45 plus years. 5 of them I saved from the land fill.

scottie
02-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I have two, a Lanakai CK-T and a Collings UT-1. Now that I have the Collings the Lanakai doesn't get played much because I like the sound of the Collings so much more. I'm probably in the 2 - 5 category for life 'cause if I have more they likely won't get played. I'm not planning on buying another ukulele soon (although there is a Collings UC-2 in flamed mahogany I'm in danger of committing to if I'm feeling froggy). I would love to get my hands on one of those Collings archtops for a few days 'cause I'd go there if they're as good as I'm hoping they'll be. . . but that's probably a commitment best left to several years out yet. I'd rather have a few great instruments that I really love and play the hell out of 'em all. . . besides. . . too much stuff gives me a pain in the butt. . .

I think one has to have more than one both for variety and because when you change the strings on one you need something else to play while the strings settle.

hawaiianmusiclover06
02-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Currently I own 2 ukuleles but I will be adding 1 more to my collection in a few weeks.

Kala Sprucetop concert ukulele- which don't get played much because its autographed
Pono All Solid Mahogany concert ukulele by Ko'olau
and my newest addition is a KoAlana Ukulele by KoAloha Ukulele

deach
02-05-2010, 01:45 AM
I have 5 kids and more than twice as many ukes. Love them all.

adam2180
02-05-2010, 02:10 AM
I have a Koaloha soprano, an old Coligate soprano (30's solid mahogany american made), Gretch soprano banjo uke, a custom concert scale banjo uke made by The Melrose Banjo Co. They are all very different and fantastic instruments.

csibona
02-05-2010, 05:00 AM
I have 1/2 an ukulele - my wife and I share hers. I hope to remedy this situation in the near term.

dktoller
02-05-2010, 06:58 AM
I've had always thought that one should be enough.
But now that I have two (one is a cheap beater) I am starting to understand the possibilities.

ukestang
02-05-2010, 07:23 AM
4 ukes, 4 kids, 2 cats, 1 wife, 60+ guitars, 5 mandos, 1 banjo, 1 lapsteel, 3 cheap keyboards. I desperately need a pair of shoes.

aviezero
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
60+ guitars
I'd stop counting around 60 too...

I have 2 concerts, 1 soprano, 2 tenors that i bought. 2 sopranos and 1 electric solid body soprano that I made.

harpdog
02-05-2010, 08:34 AM
I have one. It's an enforced discipline, after having 18 others pass through my hands over the last 10 years or so.

GreatGazukes
02-05-2010, 08:52 AM
I have 1/2 an ukulele - my wife and I share hers. I hope to remedy? this situation in the near term.

I'm not going there!

Mim
02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I have 2 that are my personal ones, but if I could the 4 Makalas in the shop, I have 6. But 2 are my loves!!!

obxtom
02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I currently have 3 and 3 on order. I started with a concert Pono, then added a soprano Pono, then decided to get a tenor, and upgraded to a ko'olau. You know where this is going, right? I have a ko'olau baritone ordered, which will give me the four basic sizes, and I also ordered ko'olau soprano and concert, which will result in my having excellent ukes(ko'olau) in each of the 4 sizes, plus pretty darn good(pono) soprano and concert ukes for travel, etc. What you can guess is that I have fallen hard for this wonderful hobby, but what you should also know is that I plan to retire from the postal service this summer, shortly after completing my collection.

Right now, I practice on my best uke (ko'olau T-1) every day, and I alternate the soprano and concert, so I take 2 ukes out of their cases each day. When the others arrive, I will figure out my favorite and play it every day, while alternating the others. On weekends, I plan to take them all out and play as the spirit moves me (that's what I do now with the 3 I have). This looks like way TMI, but I was thinking, based on what I have read here, someone may actually be interested!

Aunt Betty
02-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I have 3.
1. 1930-ish Avalon Banjo Ukulele
2. Luna Concert (dolphin) acoustic/electric
3. Ohana CK-75CG

Someday I would like: Mele concert pineapple.

I hope that would cover all of the different types of sounds I would like..... maybe.

Seven57
02-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I have 3...pono pkt-2 pono ptm and a kamaka hf-2...I just recently bought the kamaka so i been playing it alot more than the others...I can't help it..I just love the size and sound of it..I ve owned probably 12 ukes over the past few years but have either sold them or given them to people hoping to spread uke aloha...I'm pretty sure after buying the kamaka my uas days are over.

DogBisquit
02-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Four, as listed below.

There have been two others, a Lanakai concert and an Ohana baritone, I've given as gifts.
Loved that Ohana! Great tone.
Both went to good homes.

I voted in the "2-5" category, since thats the current count.

flea_bitten
02-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Yesterday I said two. Then I said "make that three" when Christmas came late yesterday afternoon and I ordered a banjolele.

Um, well (shuffling feet and looking at the floor), honestly, I only went to the music shop this morning for a set of strings. It was a different shop a long way from here. Never been there before. Didn't know what I was walking into. It was a trap, I say. A trap. So better make that four on account of the Makala Dolphin that forced its way into the car and insisted on coming home with me.

Does it make it sound less like UAS if I explain that my first uke was a $20 Mahalo which got me hooked so was kind of replaced by the Flea a few weeks later. Then the banjolele - well - they're completely different aren't they? And the Dolphin? I was thinking of stringing it Low G so it will have a completely different sound too. So that settles that and I won't be needing any more.

flea_bitten

Matt Clara
02-06-2010, 01:35 AM
I have five, an Ohana CK-25 factory second, a KoAloha concert factory second (slight sag in the finish on the neck, otherwise it's 100%), and three cigar box ukes I've built in the last three months. I have two sets of sides I've bent and glued up, so it won't be too long before I have seven. To be honest, since I built my first uke, I've not played either of my store bought. I'm going to keep the KoAloha, but I think I smell a contest coming on for the Ohana...!

luvdat
02-06-2010, 02:32 AM
I plan on only owning 2 sopranos. That's all I need.

A Kala 15-S and a Mango Flea (on the way).

thisnthat
02-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Just the one for me at the moment. I'm sure there will be another at some point but right now one is enough for me.