WARNING to all you instrument collectors..

dianalele

Reaction score
If your goal is to collect tons of different musical instruments and learn to play them all, SAVE THE UKE FOR LAST!
UAS is a real and highly contagious disease. You may THINK, like me, that you have an autoharp, a new violin, a banjo, and a melodica in your near future.. but before you know it, you'll just have numerous ukuleles and-- thats it.

Also, if you're planning on practicing a wide variety of instruments, that is going to take some serious discipline. All you're gonna wanna play is the ukulele. Your brand new accordion will sit there untouched for weeks while you snuggle with your uke every day.

Or is this all just me?

If your goal is to collect tons of different musical instruments and learn to play them all, SAVE THE UKE FOR LAST!
UAS is a real and highly contagious disease. You may THINK, like me, that you have an autoharp, a new violin, a banjo, and a melodica in your near future.. but before you know it, you'll just have numerous ukuleles and-- thats it.

Also, if you're planning on practicing a wide variety of instruments, that is going to take some serious discipline. All you're gonna wanna play is the ukulele. Your brand new accordion will sit there untouched for weeks while you snuggle with your uke every day.

Or is this all just me?

No, it's not just you.

Guitar. Sits idle.

Clarinet? Fuhgetabout it.

Six ukes and counting? All get played. daily.

This could never happen to me;) I picked up my first uke last August, now there are seven in the house!!

funny enough... i've been playing my guitar more since i got into this ukulele addiction. what songs i learn on the uke, i try on the guitar. and when i need to work something out when i am stuck (a chord or whatnot) i go to the piano. i just needed that little spark to get me back to music again...

so what happened to my other previous hobbies:
golf clubs? --> mostly sold (except for one set, just in case)
new digital slr from last summer? --> ebay
basketball? gave to my brother
tennis rackets? see above
stand mixer for baking? um... never really mine... it was my wife's... yeah, that's it!

i have told myself that i am only allowed one of each size of uke, and a banjolele, and a fluke, and a ubass, and then maybe a kamaka eventually, and an eleuke if they ever make them for lefties. and an overstrung collings if i can afford it. er...nuts, i got it bad havent I? to be fair though i have just bought an acoustic bass.

I'm very glad I acquired mandolin, guitar, and miniature electric guitar before really getting into ukuleles, because now I have 11 ukes and my wife won't allow any more instruments into the house. :)

I'm not exclusive to uke playing. My classical guitar and violin would get much more playing time, of course, if they were at my house instead of my partner's, of course. But I perform on electric bass. Maybe the only instrument that doesn't really get played much is my electric solidbody guitar.

lol at this rate, I'm afraid we'll begin to see musical instrument extinction! everyone will just want ukes.

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain will be than the New York Philharmonic!

I started witha 'ukulele, and I'll end with a 'ukulele. I have several harmonicas, and a guitar too but don't pick them up too often.

The uke bug bit me last October when I bought strings and new tuners for an old banjo uke that had been on the wall for 13 years. Five ukuleles later, (two are beaters to keep the grand kids off the good stuff). I play upright bass regularly in a band, but since October, the guitar has been played twice, the banjo twice and the mandolin once.

UAS has really been good for me. I've spent less on ukes so far than one Martin guitar.

I'm not a collector, it just Happens!

I started witha 'ukulele, and I'll end with a 'ukulele. I have several harmonicas, and a guitar too but don't pick them up too often.

Looking back, the first "guitar" I had was a red plastic ukulele that I got when I was maybe 6 years old...with the images of The Beatles on it...wish I still had that...

Top Bottom