Buying a uke - question

fresia

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to upgrade and get a new ukulele and I was hoping to get some feedback because I'm having a lot of trouble deciding which one to get. My price range is somewhere around $200-$350. I know that solid ukuleles are supposed to be better than laminates and that koa is a nice sounding traditional type of wood, so I've been thinking about either getting a solid mahogany concert or else a koa concert with a solid soundboard and laminate sides. Between these two, which do you think would be better? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for brands? I've mainly been looking at Kala and Ohana so far. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

We should have one whole thread for suggestions on what uke to buy including price ranges, size, wood, etc. There are tons of people on board who can contribute to each question and definitely help out the new incomers. Just a thought.... :D

I agree pono is also a good choice, But If you want to know the secret....I will tell you; you have to promise not to tell anyone else though. ok?

Every Ukulele sounds different and has different action, even the same modle of the same brand. So what I will tell you is that you have to play them all.

If you cant go and play them check out musicmikes shop on ebay, he is a reliable dealer who will respond to your question and even sets up the ukes before shipping them.

The largest influence on the sound of an ukulele (besides the builder) is the top, or soundboard. I'd say either of those two options are good. Kala is a good brand. I haven't heard any Ohanas yet.

If you don't have a place around you where you can try a few ukes out, then buy one from musicguymic on eBay. He won't steer you wrong.

I agree about Kala. I am delighted with my Kala tenor (spruce top). I also like the Fluke, but it's a different sound and the fretboard is a bit narrower than the Kala's, so my fingers slip off the high string more often. But it's still a fun uke and very durable.

Check out the Koa Pili Koko also!

Thanks for all of the advice! That was very helpful!

How about Koa Pili Koko as well? I believe MGM (the same ebay store in the above link) has a concert model. Seems to be a steal for a solid wood uke.

Top Bottom