Barre Chords

Bratset

Reaction score
I was wondering about something :p
When I play guitar I can find barre chords by using the E and A string to find roots. Does something simmilar work on a Uke?
Like.. how do I find a way to play a G Barre for example on the Uke?
Thanks...

Off the top of my head, the A string can find you a 7th barre, and the C string a 6th.

Yes, you can use the shape of many open chords and make them in to barre chords. For major chords the most common shapes are probably F, A, C, D.
For example, take your F(2010) and move it up to frets to play G(4232). In this case the root is on the 2nd (E) string.
A(2100) --> B(4322) root on 1st and 4th strings
C(0003) --> D(2225) root on 1st and 3rd strings
D(2220) --> E(4442) root on 3rd string

Similarly you can use the Am, Gm, F#m shapes to create minor barre chords and do the same with 7th chords, etc.

Yes, you can use the shape of many open chords and make them in to barre chords. For major chords the most common shapes are probably F, A, C, D.
For example, take your F(2010) and move it up to frets to play G(4232). In this case the root is on the 2nd (E) string.
A(2100) --> B(4322) root on 1st and 4th strings
C(0003) --> D(2225) root on 1st and 3rd strings
D(2220) --> E(4442) root on 3rd string

Similarly you can use the Am, Gm, F#m shapes to create minor barre chords and do the same with 7th chords, etc.

Nice!!
Thanks alot!

I use CAGE as mentioned in another thread to find roots up the neck. (e.g. any note on the C string will be the same note on the A string up 3 frets, then on the G string up 2 more frets, then on the E string up 3 frets, 4 frets gets you back around to the C string if you still have room on the neck. So C(+3)A(+2)G(+3)E(+4) back to C. Then I use what I learned here http://www.kauairainbow.com/Ukulele/Chord Magic/cm5.html to determine the chordform to use on that string to find the Maj, Min, 7th, and dim chords. This sound convoluted when written into words but is pretty easy to actually get the hang of and has helped me to take my playing out of first position and work the neck.

I found the book "Fretboard Roadmap" by Beloff/Sokolow to be very useful in finding chords shapes.

Top Bottom