Banjolele yay!

flea_bitten

Reaction score
Earlier today I said I had two ukes - a cheapy Mahalo and a Flea (which I adore) and that was saving for a banjolele.
Dunno what came over me...

A few minutes ago I got confirmation from Waverley St that Banjolele #125 is on its way to Australia.

:smileybounce:

I guess she'll be needing a name - any suggestions?

The Flea is just called "Flea" and the Mahalo is "Blue" (cos its a red one... in Australia red-heads are often nicknamed Blue and if you had a Blue-Heeler dog you might be likely to name him Red... so a red uke has to be "Blue"...).

CulpRJ your suggestion of Paterson made me laugh! On that theme - one of his most famous poems is Clancy of the Overflow - so Clancy could make a short list too.

Dave said in his email 6-10 days so I guess its a bit soon to go sit outside the post office... Do I have UAS now I have 3 ukes? I can justify every one of them.

Congratulations! You now have a whole new set of styles and sounds to play with. Fun! Enjoy! Fly! Be free! ....sorry, I was getting carried away.

Congrats! I've been most pleased with my Waverly Street banjo uke (#89). I replaced the head with a goatskin a few months ago.

It's here! Sort of...

I just got a call from my other half to say that he's picked up a Waverley St box from the post office. Woo hoo.
But we live in a rural area, he commutes and we use a post box near his office for all our mail.
It's about 3.30pm now. He has things to do after work so I won't actually get my hands on it 'til about 8.30pm.

Time really is relative.

Enjoy your new "pretty". They are loads of fun to play.

Well, it plays awesome. And is, as I hoped, especially good for frailing. I'm not that good at it yet but it makes me sound heaps better than I am. :D

It is a bit louder than the Flea. I was expecting that because other reviewers said banjoleles are like that. But its not intrusively so and I'm managing to play quietly enough to not annoy the family tonight. Well they're not complaining (yet).
Definitely has that nice sort of banjo-y "twang" - and that's the thing that I love about it - I feel like I'm playing a completely different instrument without having to learn another one.

The service from Waverley St has been excellent. It came out of the box - got a minor tweak on the tuning and I was playing. It was shipped pretty much straight away - making it to Western Australia in 12 days. The packaging is amazing - I was a bit worried about it getting bumped around on the way but the box is a work of art in itself - and then plastic wrapped and securely packed inside it. (As a bonus the family is passing around the newspaper that was in the box... amazing stuff you guys have over there.)

UAS is setting in. Is this the concert or soprano size?

UAS is setting in. Is this the concert or soprano size?

Concert. "#125 is a concert scale, 8" dia. head banjolele. Tunable synthetic head (w/ tuning wrench), geared tuners, and polished aluminum arm rest. Oak neck & peghead, rosewood finger board with 15 frets. "

A banojolele called Dixie? That's cool. I had a pet duck called Dixie... (the stuff on her head is feathers that stick up - she's a Crested duck)

dixie_duck.jpg

Top Bottom