So I'm on ebay, looking at 8 strings ukes and I come across....

A friend of mine bought the exact same one and found out it's a bum deal. Sound terrible and the saddle came apart after only a few strums. She gave it to me me and after repairing it, it's now only a wall decoration.

This: http://cgi.ebay.com/8-String-Solid-Mahogany-Dolphin-Ukulele-Mandola-Uke_W0QQitemZ260545948620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca9bfabcc

I've seen this before and been tempted to buy it. I was wondering if anybody has played one or owns one, if they are any good.
I've searched for videos of it, but to no avail.

Any Help or Comments appreciated
Thanks
I can't view the link but is it one of those vietmanese ukes that are real pretty but then fall apart a few weeks after you get it?

That's a shame. It's really cool looking...

there's a few threads on these around somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search through all the other "dolphin" posts talking about the makalas. From what I remember reading, they claim to be solid, but they're laminate, they're super coated in gloss, which deadens the sound, and they fall apart in a hurry.

I bought one and the bridge came off immediately. I sawed off the soundhole decoration and bolted the bridge on. It now sounds pretty good, with Aquila strings on it. For the effort, tho, I'd get a Lanikai.

A friend of mine bought the exact same one and found out it's a bum deal. Sound terrible and the saddle came apart after only a few strums. She gave it to me me and after repairing it, it's now only a wall decoration.

Hey FHS-72.
Can you or your friend post a ukulele review on this Ukulele Underground website. Search from the Homepage. This way, you can post what your friend bought and who was the seller, that way people can maybe look there before buying. I myself took a chance and bought a Koa Tenor that came from Ho Chi Mein City in Vietnam. The reason I bought it was to see if I could squash some skeptisism and negativity about such a uke or the seller. I was very pleased with my uke and love it. Very good quality, nice inlay, only 2 gripes. Came with friction tuners and the shipping was more than the uke itself! lol. I will post a review of my some time soon. Aloha, Dino

Top Bottom