PDA

View Full Version : Snow, snow, and more snow...

spots
02-05-2010, 11:40 AM
You have to love snowy evenings and weekends.

It's a wonderful time to stay home, relax, spend time with the family, and learn new songs.

And thanks to all this this great technology, as long as the power doesn't go out, you can jam with fellow ukers at the minijams.

nohandles
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
It started snowing about an hour ago ere on the north coast of Lake Erie. It coming down in buckets right now. I'll have to bust out the 12 string Uke I built and play Wreck of the Edumund Fitzjerald tonight. Can't wait for spring! Doug

Ukulele JJ
02-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Down here we got hit hard (well, hard for Nashville) last weekend. I didn't have anywhere to go. The Australian Open was on. I had a stack of Netflixen to watch. Plenty of soup and grilled cheese fixin's in the kitchen. It was great!

JJ

SailingUke
02-05-2010, 01:01 PM
What is this thing called snow you speak of ?
It is raining however here in Southern Cal.

Skitzic
02-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I have a laptop and a data card (yay for work!). Even if the power goes out I'm go for launch.

sukie
02-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I heard on the radio a bit ago that the DC area was going to be hit pretty hard this weekend. All you East Coasters stay warm and drive carefully..

KamakOzzie
02-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I am in the Tidewater area of Virginia, about 3 hours South of D.C. We started with snow and it's changed to rain.
BUT.......it's going down to 18 degrees tonight !! We're going to be one BIG icecicle in the morning.
They are calling for snow again Saturday on top of the ice.

dnewton2
02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Did anyone order 20-30 inches of snow?

I think I got your order by mistake. Seriously they are calling for up to 2 inches an hour tonight. This is madness. Someone please STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

Guess I will spending some time my ukes inside and some time with the shovel this weekend. I do like the snow, but this is a little much. I don't even have a sled. :(

Eriquito
02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Delaware...snowing like crazy. I'm a teacher and its snowing on Saturday...bum...mer...

nohandles
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
5 inches here since 2:45 and now huge wind gusts. Looks like I will get to miss my meeting in the morning. Hum? what to do? Guess I'll have to play music all day. Darn!

StereoJoker
02-05-2010, 01:53 PM
As of the time I'm writing this, we haven't been hit with the blizzard yet -- it's just a bunch of flurries right now -- but it's a-comin'. I can feel it in my bones. We're supposed to get 3-6 inches tomorrow (pssh, lame).

I really dig this weather, but sometimes it can be super inconvenient. I gots things to do this weekend!

Skitzic
02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Still waiting for it to start here. We're right on the line, so some stations are screaming blizzard, others 4-6...so we'll see. I have coffee, vodka, and my uke...I'm good to go. Talk about feeling it in your bones though, I couldn't sleep last night because the pressure change was kiling my knees and hips. I just couldn't get comfortable.

Big Bob
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I really feel for you folks down south of me here in Canada "s east coast.We normally would be getting all that snow here.My only worry right now is am I going to be able to catch my flight Sunday morning in Newark NJ.I hope all theseflight cancellations don't mess up my itinerary on my way to waikiki.

Skitzic
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I really feel for you folks down south of me here in Canada "s east coast.We normally would be getting all that snow here.My only worry right now is am I going to be able to catch my flight Sunday morning in Newark NJ.I hope all theseflight cancellations don't mess up my itinerary on my way to waikiki.

Ouch. I'll cross my fingers for you!

pdxuke
02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
12:30 AM here and we have 9-10 inches. Started sticking around 5 PM, so between an inch to an inch and a half an hour.

Saturday is a good day to uke away.

Pictures, please. And stay warm and safe.

Plainsong
02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
All the snow in the universe has managed to collect in Helsinki. Huge snow drifts taller than I am, a foot of sandy salty snow on many roads, 2 feet on our balcony. In a city that's pretty darn good at snow management and removal, it's so bad that they're considering calling in the army to help.

And during all this, they're starting the water pipe and bathroom renevations in the building, which means we've got to start moving out of here and get ready to live in a rental flat for 9 months. So yeah, you can keep your snow. ;)

nohandles
02-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Just got in from snow throwing, looks like 16 inches or so but we have a lot of drifting around the house. Probable 4 feet high. It really taxed the big snow thrower and I had to throw in second gear. I even stalled it at one of the older folks I help out here on the street.
Glad we aren't in the DC area I heard from a friend they have around 20 and its still coming down.

sukie
02-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Holy smokes you guys. Please be careful. Stay warm. It is pretty though, no?

dnewton2
02-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah so far it has been snowing for about 26 hours and is not supposed to stop until tonight. I would guess there is at least 2 feet out there right now.

Skitzic
02-06-2010, 08:02 AM
It's stopped snowing here, just drifting at this point. It looks like we got about a foot, it's hard to tell though because it's drifting so bad.

StereoJoker
02-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Same here. A couple feet, maybe forty centimeters, something like that. I helped shovel my folks' driveway at around eight this morning, and now I've got to help re-shovel because of all the snow that collected after that (we kind of thought it would have stopped by then -- nope).

Forget it. I'm curling up next to the fireplace with my uke. And a mug of cocoa.

luvdat
02-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Spoke to a friend in Longbranch, NJ..6"-8"...here up North...nothin'...

44fanatic
02-06-2010, 10:28 AM
So it's dusting here off the coast of MA. My son went to a hockey game and the wife went shopping. I spent a good two hours writing a comprehensive review of my new Ohaha TK75CG complete with pictures and while previewing the post, I went to close a picture and the whole thing went to cyberspace. Must be the Ukulele Gods telling me not to be so long winded or shut up and play the darn thing.

grubblybubbly
02-06-2010, 10:38 AM
in vancouver there has been NO snow!!! i am frustrated! it's kind of lame, seeing as the olympics are in a couple days...

i LOVE snow!!!:mad:

nohandles
02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Just heard from a friend in Maryland that he measured 30 inches at 2:30 and its still coming down in buckets with another 6 to 8 tomorrow. The sun just came out here guess we are in the clear now. Phew, thank goodness.

Big Bob
02-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Well thanks skitzic for crossing your fingers for me to be able to make my plane conections in Newark. MAHALO

euchre
02-06-2010, 12:50 PM
We have about 18" here just below the Delaware line and it's still snowing. Lost power and cable for 4 hours overnight so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Skitzic
02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Well thanks skitzic for crossing your fingers for me to be able to make my plane conections in Newark. MAHALO

Good deal!

I thought I was going to die shoveling. Every year I complain we need to buy a snow blower, but somehow we never get one. I think the guy next door should just take his snow blower 20 more feet to cover my sidewalk. I'd do it for him!

phanzo
02-06-2010, 01:49 PM
What is this thing called snow you speak of ?

That's what I was just wondering. How can it be snowing!? It's 70 degrees outside!!!

:biglaugh:

scottie
02-07-2010, 01:18 AM
It's 7:15 Sunday am here in Pittsburgh. 2 feet of sneau. . . I lost electricity at about 4:00 am Saturday, woke up at about 8:00 and the apartment was still warm. Outside was totally quiet and still and just the right temperature for all this snow. . . just beautiful. I coped with being snowed in in the best way I know, I drank a bottle of wine and practiced most of the day. The place didn't start to get really chilly until early this morning and it's lucky that I just got the electricity back about an hour ago.

Skitzic
02-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Oof. I've never lost power like that. If I did though, my house would be cold in less than an hour. Damn you huge old windows that I can't afford to replace right now!

emilyb
02-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Ahh, Scottie, I'm glad you got your power back. I read that there are still 12,000 Pittsburghers without power. And holy moly, you must have incredible insulation! I can barely keep my Bloomfield apartment heated as it is. For the first time ever, I'm grateful that there aren't that many trees in this part of town!

For me it was a whiskey and uke weekend. I just hope they get the roads plowed soon.

Skitzic
02-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Ahh, Scottie, I'm glad you got your power back. I read that there are still 12,000 Pittsburghers without power. And holy moly, you must have incredible insulation! I can barely keep my Bloomfield apartment heated as it is. For the first time ever, I'm grateful that there aren't that many trees in this part of town!

For me it was a whiskey and uke weekend. I just hope they get the roads plowed soon.

Oh I was so pissed last night. I went out in all the ice and slush and nasty to get vodka and the damn state store was closed! WTH? Back when I had crap jobs stores never closed down because of snow. I had to leave at 5 in the damn morning in a blizzard to open an Ollies back in the day...come on...

I'm stocking up from now on. No less than 2 bottles in the freezer at all times.

nohandles
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Where we are you never know with the lake affect snow. I buy the potato squeezins by the case in the winter. Can' be without potato squeezins for to long. Love it with ruby red great fruit juice.
The lights flickered here but for once we were spared. My folks list power for the first time since they moved back home. Dad lit the burners on the stove and they were fine.

scottie
02-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Ahh, Scottie, I'm glad you got your power back. I read that there are still 12,000 Pittsburghers without power. And holy moly, you must have incredible insulation! I can barely keep my Bloomfield apartment heated as it is. For the first time ever, I'm grateful that there aren't that many trees in this part of town!.

I'm in Bellevue. I live in a 1950's era concrete block apartment building, all the exterior walls are concrete block and brick. It was probably somewhere between 55 and 60 Saturday evening before it got cold, was wearing a t shirt, sweatpants and sweatshirt and I was fine. It was 9F outside when I woke up this morning and the apartment was pretty chilly. I did get out Saturday to pick up a few things and many businesses were open by 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Problem was no stove, no coffee, really had me in a foul mood Sat morning. Funny, the apocolypse could happen and I'd be bitchin' about not having coffee. . . I really need a camp stove or a small gas grill.

Fortunately, there was wine.

bbycrts
02-07-2010, 02:28 PM
It started snowing about an hour ago ere on the north coast of Lake Erie. It coming down in buckets right now. I'll have to bust out the 12 string Uke I built and play Wreck of the Edumund Fitzjerald tonight. Can't wait for spring! Doug
12 string uke? You built? Pictures? Or is that just code for a 12-string guitar? Oh, never mind - I want to see pictures of your work, Doug!

buddhuu
02-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Sitting in my office in Dunstable, Beds, UK. Local weather forecast for this week said maybe a little snow on Thurs and Fri, but not before.

So what are those big flakes drifting past my window?

Skitzic
02-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Uh oh, another 1-2 feet are supposed to hit tomorrow night into Wed morning...lovely. Last time it snowed during the week I was an hour and a half late for work because people don't know how to drive and I was stuck between two accidents that blocked the road. Woo...

scottie
02-08-2010, 02:28 AM
I got a call from my boss last night (I work in state gov. social services) not to show up for work today; Rendell had declared an emergency; and now perhaps we'll get snowed in again. Since I'm not at work I should see to it that I have sufficient quantities of food I don't have to cook in case I lose power again. Perhaps I should make a big pot of chicken soup. Woo Hoo. . . bring it.

Skitzic
02-08-2010, 02:32 AM
I got a call from my boss last night (I work in state gov. social services) not to show up for work today; Rendell had declared an emergency; and now perhaps we'll get snowed in again. Since I'm not at work I should see to it that I have sufficient quantities of food I don't have to cook in case I lose power again. Perhaps I should make a big pot of chicken soup. Woo Hoo. . . bring it.

Does that mean the liquor stores won't be open?! NO! I can't get snowed in with nothing to drink!

Plainsong
02-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Man I wish Helsinki wasn't so darn effecient. It's really bad out there, but you still have to go to work. :(

Swampy Steve
02-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Sorry guys,, It got up to 80 saturday afternoon, but yesterday morn, got down to a horrible 43, I dont see how yall endure it
Steve

sukie
02-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Sorry guys,, It got up to 80 saturday afternoon, but yesterday morn, got down to a horrible 43, I dont see how yall endure it
Steve

BOOOO! :-)

It's our turn now. But everyday is one day closer to pool season. That's how I get through all this.

Skitzic -- strap on your snowshoes and get stocked up.

emilyb
02-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Skitzic -- ha! I swear, that's been the number one complaint I've been hearing from folks -- snowed in, and no booze :) Gotta have something to warm the tummy, I guess.

I envy you folks who are staying home today...I had to get up early to walk to work through the snow and ice. My rump has seen better days! I wonder how long it's going to take to get all the roads and sidewalks cleared. I'm not feeling particularly optimistic.

and Ukulele Steve...shush. Please. Before I have to go cry in a corner. Whaa.

Swampy Steve
02-08-2010, 05:11 AM
We will pay for it in july ,aug & sept though. It will be hot enough to melt your brain , and our humidity 100% thats when the gulf coast stinks

44fanatic
02-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Just watched the news and they said a foot Wednesday. Cold here too. Must be Global Warming.