New Innovative Non-destructive Uke Strap Needs Testers

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
It’s been almost a year since I joined Ukulele Underground, and everything I have learned about the ukulele started here with this great community of people. I have had great fun, and am completely hooked and totally uke crazy. Thanks to everyone! Necessity is the mother of invention.... sooo, I designed a strap specifically for the Ukulele that doesn’t need a strap button, sound hole hook or Velcro tape. It is currently given the working name as Ukulele Half-Strap. Check out the video for more information on how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEz6nn06aE I hope to put up a better quality video later.
I need to get some feedback on this design, and that’s where you guys can help. I will be making up approximately 30 prototype straps for test marketing. That is were I send you the strap, you try it out for a week or so, and fill out a questionnaire about your experiences and opinions about the product. I will want to know everything you liked or didn’t like about the product, so don’t forget to take notes as you think of them. The product has several different configurations, so I would like you to test all 4 options.

You may keep the prototype.

How will I select the testers? Well, I have a survey that you can fill out, and after reviewing the surveys, I will select about 30 people. I am looking for a good cross section of the ukulele playing community, so if you are chosen, you will be representing a great number of other players like you. So, I will want beginners, and advanced players, all ages, male and female, big people and small people. Those who have all sizes of ukuleles, and those who only have one. Hopefully, we can also get a few children involved too. This is an evolving product, not a finished design, so this is the time to fine tune it before finding a manufacturer. So, the goal here is to gather as much information from the test group as possible, and if you have family and friends that play ukulele, their input would be very helpful too.

This half-strap is not as fully stable as a button strap. It is for people who don’t want to alter their ukes with holes, adhesive / glues, or hooks, but want some support when playing. This design works on all shapes and sizes of ukuleles, including those without conventional sound holes.

Sorry for the long post, but there was much to cover!

If you would like to participate in the survey, email me at lapthorp5834 at roadrunner.com. Deadline for surveys is February 11, 2010. I will choose from this group the people who will get to test (and keep) the prototypes.

–Lori

Just added better quality video to my Mobile Me account (before Youtube crunched it). If you want to see a better picture, go to www.artistsonart.tv Hope to have a better YouTube video soon. EDIT– YouTube video looks pretty good now. It looked really bad earlier, but it was still being processed.

Last edited:
That's a pretty interesting concept! I'm sure this would fit into the best of both worlds for the people who don't want to drill into their babies. I've got strap buttons on all my ukes, but if I didn't I might be hooked. It's so cool to see that kind of innovation! Great Job!

Great idea! Right now I have string wrapped around mine...heh.

You go girl.

Looks awesome! Just shot you an email :)

How did I miss the video the first time I read this?

Oh well. I watched it, and it's cool.

Lori, interesting idea. I was just mulling over the other day whether or not I could face drilling a hole in my Ohana....

Off topic..... what was the music playing at the beginning of your video?

Its actually a pretty good idea. Just hoping someone don't steal the idea, mass produce an improved version in China, and sell it before you do. It happened to a friend when he proposed an idea for an uke accessory...sadddddness

Wow. This looks great! :iwant:

Email sent and here's hoping I'm a lucky guinea pig. :)

Lori, interesting idea. I was just mulling over the other day whether or not I could face drilling a hole in my Ohana....

Off topic..... what was the music playing at the beginning of your video?

It is a royalty free Apple Loop "Acoustic Sunrise" (iLife Sound Effects, Jingles). I love that song though. If I was better at uke playing and recording, I would have played something. But, I didn't want to delay the video, so I looked for something I could use quickly, without copyright issues.

–Lori

Last edited:
This is brilliant and I want one! :iwant:

its awesome, and if you want i would be glad to test it

Me likey and me wanty!!

Email has been el sento!!

I've seen this concept before. While it looks like an interesting idea, and I've never used one myself, it seems like just half a strap. I suppose the idea here is that people want a strap, but don't want to attach strap buttons. I don't really get that. Aside from a few ukes out there with real value to collectors that would be diminished, what is the problem? They are cheap and easy to install, and they make using a strap oh so easy.

Not to bash your idea, Lori. It is a good idea for those who can't bring themselves to add buttons. I just don't get that.

I've seen this concept before. While it looks like an interesting idea, and I've never used one myself, it seems like just half a strap. I suppose the idea here is that people want a strap, but don't want to attach strap buttons. I don't really get that. Aside from a few ukes out there with real value to collectors that would be diminished, what is the problem? They are cheap and easy to install, and they make using a strap oh so easy.

Not to bash your idea, Lori. It is a good idea for those who can't bring themselves to add buttons. I just don't get that.

I found it very distressing going through the whole strap button installation process. And even though the two ukes I had altered (button installed) worked out OK, I was still very nervous about having it done to the others. So I didn't have strap buttons installed unless it was by the manufacturer. That way, if something bad happened it was their problem. And, some ukes are so beautiful and unique, that if something bad happened during the whole drilling process, it would be hard to take. I am getting back a lot of surveys, and I am not alone in this feeling. I have a perfectly good hand drill, but no other shop equipment. I have done a lot of model building, and know what can go wrong if things aren't held properly. I have no problem drilling holes into walls. Walls are easy to fix and touch up. But a Kanile'a, or a lovely spalted grained uke... I would be way too nervous to attempt it, and really don't trust that I won't get some careless music store employee assigned to the task if I were to bring it there.

–Lori

Top Bottom