I have a Luna concert ukulele (it is blue, with dolpins)

Aunt Betty

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know that my inner child is very happy.

The finish is flawless. It has a nice tone, not quite as nice as my Ohana CK-75CG, but it is also electric so it gives me another set of sounds to play with. It is a pleasure to play.

Someone on another ukulele blog site thought that the Luna ukuleles were ugly, I was almost afraid to ananounce that I have (and love) one. I'll try to do a review when I become more discerning.

Betty

Avalon Banjo Ukulele
Luna Concert (dolphin)
Ohana CK-75CG

...the Mele concert pinapplle callls....

Aunt Betty, I adore this model. It's the one I most wanted, but the electronics are placed non-southpaw-friendly.
Enjoy.

Let's see some pics if you can. Please

Just wanted to let you all know that my inner child is very happy.

The finish is flawless. It has a nice tone, not quite as nice as my Ohana CK-75CG, but it is also electric so it gives me another set of sounds to play with. It is a pleasure to play.

Someone on another ukulele blog site thought that the Luna ukuleles were ugly, I was almost afraid to ananounce that I have (and love) one. I'll try to do a review when I become more discerning.

Betty

Avalon Banjo Ukulele
Luna Concert (dolphin)
Ohana CK-75CG

...the Mele concert pinapplle callls....

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so don't be affraid to show her off, I'm looking forward to it. I think cutaways are butt ugly abominations, and many think my beloved pineapples are ugly. Who cares? I don't like blondes either. I married a brown skinned island girl. To each their own. :cool:

This is my first attempt at adding pictures. Hope they turn out ok.

Glad my husband likes blonds! We have been married for 33 years.

Attachments

• P2050001.jpg
    P2050001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 229
  • P2050005.jpg
    P2050005.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 192
That looks beautiful! I've never heard of it - where have I been??!

I like it, the color and the dolphins.

WOW I liked that they used a blue stain instead of paint so you can see the nice grains of the wood very well, looks like the ocean the dolphins are swimming in. I really like it much more than I ever expected. Even the cutaway matches!
Mahalo for sharing!

Cool! I am really happy to hear this! I really like the pinkish-purpley one with flowers. It's ridiculously girly, and I love it, because I am ridiculously girly too. :)

I am happy for you! And it's very, very cool to like something that not everyone else likes. ;)

My fiancé plays a Luna guitar, and loves it. It's a thing of beauty, both to see and to hear.

Congratulations on your new uke!

I am in LOVE with the Luna High Tide concert and will probably be ordering one this weekend after the TBUS meeting where we hope to have a Luna designer as our guest, since I have reached my financial limits and can no longer bid on the Koaloha super concert with the crown bridge that is currently on ebay right now :( :(

I traveled about 50 miles to play these a few weeks ago when they finally hit the stores. Not many Luna guitar dealers are carrying them ... yet. I thought the dolphin was incredibly beautiful but the sound seemed "smothered" to me. I'm currently corresponding with the designer and she said "Re: the blue Dolphin model....like on our Flora and Fauna guitars we knew we would be giving up sound for stage presence, but our inlaid guitars are our best sellers so we decided to test the ukulele waters for response. I'm not sure how many players mike their ukes which could make up for the dampened sound if someone really loved the look."

I also mentioned how I prefer Koa to look reddish and that I have spoken to and read about others who thought the Honu tattoo would be awesome on the pineapple. She said "The High Tide models are definitely the favorites thus far, though the mahogany models are very well received for the price. Honu in pineapple would be an easy add. Small details such as color on the koa are very important, so thank you for that as well."

Now I have to decide whether I can wait on the Koa to come out in a prettier color or if I have to get that baby in my hands NOW LOL

....back to lurk mode ....................................................................

That is beautiful. I love the dolphins around the soundhole.

Oh, wow. I was really skeptical when I was going through the thread, but then I saw the pictures and changed my mind instantly (I love the Honu Soprano, too, but that's mostly because I have a special place in my heart for the turtle, minus the salmonella).

That is awesome, though. Congrats on your new "baby" ;)! Luna does some nice instrument artwork (nice enough for me to forgive their choice of Papyrus font :rolleyes:).

Thank you, everyone. It is fun to share.

I agree with it does have a "dampened sound,” especially compared to the Ohana CK-75CG. I figured that is was due to all of the wires, pick-ups, plastic-whoop-ty-controls, on and in it. In addition, it is a laminate instead of solid wood. It is a nice sound to sing along with as well as picking out TAB'ed songs.

I have been looking at Roland Micro Cubes on e-bay. The amps are small, have an acoustic setting, and (for fun) have some effects to play with. I don’t plan on performing.

Heh, heh. Dolphins should be dampened, the live in the water. ....groan.

First off, congrats on the new uke! Like others have said, screw what other folks think! In my opinion, if you can't find SOMEthing you like in a uke like that, you really need to work on opening your mind and looking at little bits at a time. While I'm not much of a dolphin guy, I can appreciate the inlay work they did, especially since this isn't like, a one-off custom kind of uke. Plus, I love the color of blue they wound up with and the pop it gives the wood, even though, like Skitzic, I'm a purple person. Of course, with Luna, that would mean I'd wind up with frickin' flowers on my uke. Oy vey :) When will folks figure out guys like purple too?

Anyways, I had a quick question for SKBin, if you could delurk again for a second :)

I'm currently corresponding with the designer and she said "Re: the blue Dolphin model....like on our Flora and Fauna guitars we knew we would be giving up sound for stage presence...

Did she happen to clarify what part of the stage presence they were giving up sound for? I know beans about lutherie (though I'm anxious to start trying), but whatever might cause the dampened sound (AWESOME pun, by the way, Betty) doesn't seem obvious to me. Maybe they had to do the laminate top to make it easier to do the inlay work and that caused it?

Ooooohh!!! Just came back from the TBUS meetup where Luna came with almost the complete line (no purple) for us to play with PLUS ... PLUS!!! some prototypes! There will soon be a tattoo mahogany concert available, BUT!!! Straight out of the box, never even been tuned and not dolled up by the designer yet for their production lines ..... BAMBOO ukes. Soprano with a bowed back out of what the floor in my house is, carbonized bamboo. It has a honey-like hue and a tenor from the natural yellowish bamboo. They were loud and bright and everybody loved the sound. Add in the renewable resource "green" aspect and the well-documented durability of bamboo ... VERY INTERESTING!

The fact that they don't just whack the ends of the fretboard straight off of any of their models is highly appealing to me and after again playing as well as being able to listen to the high tide concert ... SOLD! I am definitely ordering one.

On a side note ... I had my 9 year old grandson with me who's been dabbling in uke enough that when he hears commercials with ukes, he lets everybody in the house know. He even recognized it in a song played by Train on Ellen the other day and called it to his mom's attention before they showed it ... and he had never heard the song before. Anyway ... there was a Bean Sprout banjolele there, looked like a tenor neck, and my grandson absolutely fell in love. We had just come from buying him a Makala concert and I asked him if he wanted to take it back and get a banjolele ... his eyes got huge and he said "No way Nana! I need both of them!" :)

Top Bottom