Hawaii Uke Shops - prices

King FarUke

Reaction score
Guys and Gals: Anyone know if the shops in Hawaii negotiate at all on the retail price of new K-Brand ukes. I will be on Oahu and Maui for two weeks at the end of February and I am considering a new tenor Kamaka, Ko'Aloha, Kanilea, G-string etc. I noticed online that the shops tend to have different prices for the same basic model Hawaiian ukes. Some are even higher than the MSRP set by the manufacturer. I don't mind paying a fair price, but when one shop has an uke for $1050 and another is $980for the same uke, I don't want to feel ripped off. If there is some other service for the higher price (good set-up, included case, good customer service), I would understand that and consider the higher price. I appreciate any input from those with experience dealing with the shops. Any suggested shops would also be appreciated. My other ukes have been purchased online where the prices are generally competitive.

If I were you, I would try to see if musicguymic is in town. There are lots of stores around Waikiki but they are pretty high on prices. For example, a $1500 KoAloha Pineapple Sunday was $1700 at Aloha Ukulele in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. There are good selections at Bob's, Puapua and Ukulele House in Honolulu but I don't think their prices are competitive with Mike. As for Maui, they had some nice Kamaka tenors at Lahaina Music, and I think Bounty Music in Maui has a pretty good selection too.

And the customer service at Aloha Ukulele is either horrible or wonderful depending on who is working. There is a woman there who is really mean...I was staying in the hotel and she acted like I was putting her out by asking to see ukuleles. She also treated me like dirt. On the other hand, I went once and met a very nice young man who was quite helpful there, so it is hit and miss. But regardless, I would never pay their prices at that store.

Good luck on your search, and have fun and drink a mai tai for me! :)

Wicked - Thanks for the quick response. I was considering calling Mike, but I was not sure if he had an actual shop. But I figured for a sale he would at least meet up with me. When I was in O'ahu, Maui and Kaua'i last year I checked out a lot of ukes but was only looking for one under $200 (wife didn't understand the uke lifestyle at that time). I ended up buying a Kamoa from Larry's on Kaua'i (which has a real good sound for an imported laminate uke). The wife is going to let me spend a little more on my so-called "souvenir" this year! I do remember Bob's in Waikiki having a good selection but high prices. I did not check out any other shops while there. I also had many a good mai tai!

Dan's Guitar and Easy Music have about 15% off MSRP. And Music Guy Mike has similar prices. If you visit the KoAloha factory, I belive their seconds are 25% off list prices. And I know that the Kamaka factory gives some discount (15%?) for buying direct from them. I just wouldn't reccomend shopping in Waikiki, since they're all exepsnvie there thanks to high rents. But the local favorits like Dans and EMC have good selection, although yeah, the service is spotty sometimes.

Thanks. I was not aware that the factories sold directly to the public. I may have to check them out. I was focusing on a KoAloha due to the somewhat unique looks and apparent satisfaction of KoAloha owners but eanted to try the other brands to see how they felt/sounded. I know Mike often has KoAloha's available so I will at least drop him a note. Anyone know if the big swap meet at the stadium on Wednesdays and the weekends is worth visiting?

Anyone know if the shops in Hawaii negotiate at all on the retail price of new K-Brand ukes.
If it's an independent shop, the owner always has the option to negotiate, whereas a regular employee may not have that power. You can always ask to speak to a manager and see if they'll can do better on the price or price match another store (if you really like a particular instrument they have) or if they'll give a discount for cash, since they have to pay extra for processing on a credit/debit card.

And you can always walk away with the "I'll have to think about it" attitude, which sometimes gets you a better offer on the spot or some freebies, like maybe a hardshell case included.

Guys and Gals: Anyone know if the shops in Hawaii negotiate at all on the retail price of new K-Brand ukes. I will be on Oahu and Maui for two weeks at the end of February and I am considering a new tenor Kamaka Ka, Ko'Aloha, Kanilea, G-string etc. I noticed online that the shops tend to have different prices for the same basic model Hawaiian ukes. Some are even higher than the MSRP set by the manufacturer. I don't mind paying a fair price, but when one shop has an uke for $1050 and another is $980for the same uke, I don't want to feel ripped off. If there is some other service for the higher price (good set-up, included case, good customer service), I would understand that and consider the higher price. I appreciate any input from those with experience dealing with the shops. Any suggested shops would also be appreciated. My other ukes have been purchased online where the prices are generally competitive.
Check the Hawai'i listing in the Ukulele Stores thread. You can also reference the 808 Builders Thread which includes the builders you mentioned and then some. There are some good deals to be found.

As far as the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium, they do have a few vendors there showing their wares, some even have a few of the Hawaiian built instruments as well. You'll also see Lanikai, Kala, Leolani and some other lesser brand names. Prices will vary, but way cheaper than shopping in Waikiki.

Thanks. I was not aware that the factories sold directly to the public. I may have to check them out. I was focusing on a KoAloha due to the somewhat unique looks and apparent satisfaction of KoAloha owners but eanted to try the other brands to see how they felt/sounded. I know Mike often has KoAloha's available so I will at least drop him a note. Anyone know if the big swap meet at the stadium on Wednesdays and the weekends is worth visiting?

If you're pretty set on KoAloha, you should definitely go visit their factory. I've got 5 KoAlohas now. I love them all. It's kind of hard to find KoAlohas in retail stores, and a lot of them haven't to keep them in stock. The swap meet is worth visiting, but not necessarily for ukulele buying.

I just saw Mike at the Denver Ukefest today. I got his card. His store address in Kaneohe is 46-483 haiku Plantations Drive, Kaneohe Hi 96722. Phone is 757-777-7873. Put it in MapQuest and you can see where it is located. I think you can call ahead and meet him there. I think he has a lot of ukes in stock. If not there I think he can find it for you with a little notice beforehand.

I like this thread, I'm trying to wrangle a trip to Hawaii this year and it's great to know that you can get the "local knowledge" from other UU members. Great stuff.

Kamaka did not mention anything about a price other than list price at the factory even when I asked. Koaloha factory has a number of seconds that I would look into. In Honolulu, for retail I like PuaPua, Goodguys and Harry's. Scottie's in Kalaheo, Kauai had a nice selection and is interested in making someone a repeat, loyal customer.

Last edited:
Check the Hawai'i listing in the Ukulele Stores thread. You can also reference the 808 Builders Thread which includes the builders you mentioned and then some. There are some good deals to be found.

As far as the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium, they do have a few vendors there showing their wares, some even have a few of the Hawaiian built instruments as well. You'll also see Lanikai, Kala, Leolani and some other lesser brand names. Prices will vary, but way cheaper than shopping in Waikiki.

I bought my Kanile'a at the Aloha Stadium swap meet. One vender had a good selection of Kanile'a Ukes and I was able to sit and play some really nice ukes. They had at least 2-3 of each size, and a guitarlele. I found the one that really sang, and bought it. I don't think I got a really "good" deal, probably near list price, but I don't think I was overcharged. Remember if you are not living in Hawaii, you shouldn't have to pay local sales tax. That can really add on to the cost of your purchase. Not many music stores open on Sundays, so it is worth it if you find yourself there on Sunday.
–Lori

I bought my Kanile'a at the Aloha Stadium swap meet. One vender had a good selection of Kanile'a Ukes and I was able to sit and play some really nice ukes. They had at least 2-3 of each size, and a guitarlele. I found the one that really sang, and bought it. I don't think I got a really "good" deal, probably near list price, but I don't think I was overcharged. Remember if you are not living in Hawaii, you shouldn't have to pay local sales tax. That can really add on to the cost of your purchase. Not many music stores open on Sundays, so it is worth it if you find yourself there on Sunday.
–Lori

Hawaii does not have a sales tax. We've got a GET. http://www6.hawaii.gov/tax/a7_faq.htm
:D

Thanks members. This is some really good information I did not have that will be very useful during my trip. My only fear now is that my wife mentioned that since I was getting a nice new uke for a souvenir, she wanted her souvenir from some place called "TIFFANY'S" in Waikiki! I'll bet you they don't negotiate! I think she has JAS (jewelry acquisition syndrome). Thanks again all......

Thanks members. This is some really good information I did not have that will be very useful during my trip. My only fear now is that my wife mentioned that since I was getting a nice new uke for a souvenir, she wanted her souvenir from some place called "TIFFANY'S" in Waikiki! I'll bet you they don't negotiate! I think she has JAS (jewelry acquisition syndrome). Thanks again all......

Holy smokes!!! If she wants a little trinket from Tiffany's, you , my friend, should be able to buy your dream ukulele. Damn the cost. Have a great trip.

Yeah... I think I may need to re-negotiate with the wife and start looking at some of the costlier ukes. Maybe I can jump up to a new Ko'olau. No wonder she smiled and said "no problem" on the $1000 uke when I agreed she could get her Hawaii souvenir from that Tiffany's store on the strip in Waikiki! Hmmmm..... now I am not sure about those private surfing lessons and the hot rock massage she has planned from some guy named "Mano" while I am uke shopping! How far will a man go for a new uke?? May be a good test of my UAS prevention therapy!

Top Bottom