Todaro "Akuleles"?

Moby

Reaction score
Hey, so I was searching around online when I ran into these ukes:
http://akulele.com/
They look and sound pretty sweet, but does anyone know anything about them?

The sound holes are kinda funky too.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
The "akulele" is apparently made by charango luthiers. I don't know about all their models, but here's what one of them sounds like:

The "akulele" is apparently made by charango luthiers. I don't know about all their models, but here's what one of them sounds like:

Thanks SteroeJoker, You are an Underground fiend tonight! Can someone please explain to me what 'charangos' are? Something else I've never heard of I'm afraid.

I've actually visited the shop where they're sold a couple times. They sure are cool, and have an interesting sound, but sound very thin and quiet. just my two cents

Thanks SteroeJoker, You are an Underground fiend tonight! Can someone please explain to me what 'charangos' are? Something else I've never heard of I'm afraid.

Man, I know! Charangos are small ten-stringed South American instruments sort of shaped like ukuleles, and traditionally made with armadillo shell backs (totally awesome).

Check it out. The binding and the general shape of the Akulele mimics that of a charango (or at least, I guess it kind of does, because Todaro makes charangos, mainly).

I have one myself and sold a few in my store (believe the above YouTube's one of my customers) and they cut through anything! In the uke club I am definitely audible with this uke, no matter how many other ukes there are. I would describe them as loud and punchy. These Akuleles have a distinct tone unlike any other uke around. If it comes with the Mari strings (which may have caused the lack in projection), replace them with Worth Browns or Aquilas and be blown away.

The neck and body are carved out of one piece of wood. Looks are great too. The neck is wider than standard, which almost makes it feel as if you are playing one size bigger than you are. Highly recommended for those with fat fingers or those who are used to classical guitars.

Just a lot of fun!

I think one of these might be a bucket list instrument for me. I've been wanting to get to the place that has these outside of Philadelphia but they're closed on Sunday and the timing hasn't worked out otherwise.

I have been interested in these as well. Any other thoughts? I really wanted a concert or tenor but it sounds as if the fretboard would be wide enough with the soprano. I just don't want it to sound too thin! Other thoughts?

They have great sound and tone....Usually they are not perfect in craftsmanship but if you are going for volume and tone they are great. The neck is also very wide if i remmeber as i am not near one to measure the nut...they are at home and I am in the shop but if i recall correctly they are slightly larger than 1-1/2 at nut

deffffffintely need one

I played one of these last week at a music store. It didn't have very much volume. As already said, it probably needed good strings.
The neck and body were carved from a single piece of wood. It did have a wide neck. Priced at $299 and $399 (everything is high there),
I couldn't get serious about it.

It was cute, though.

I found that the Mari strings or the South American (some are wound) strings they come with aren't really punchy. Also, these ukes vary quite a bit from uke to uke due to the wood used and perhaps variance in maker. Having said that, they have character and with a set of Worths or Aquilas (I prefer the Worths on these) they sound unique. You can hear their South American heritage I reckon. The width of the neck is something you gotta like - I do, it's almost like playing a classical guitar.

Maybe you should ask if the store is willing to change the strings for you if you're interested.

I have two of these - both sopranino. That's really tiny, smaller than soprano and tuned one octave higher than a guitar - D' G B E. It's definitely not thin sounding, really cuts through but a higher register than soprano etc. I've string one with Aquila and that is amazing - very loud. I'd agree with MGM that some of the craftsmanship lacks a little - one of mine has a spot of glue right in the middle of the soundboard - but, on the whole, they're such beautiful instruments that it doesn't matter to me. Highly recommended!

Todaro Akulele

I have two of these - both sopranino. That's really tiny, smaller than soprano and tuned one octave higher than a guitar - D' G B E. It's definitely not thin sounding, really cuts through but a higher register than soprano etc. I've string one with Aquila and that is amazing - very loud. I'd agree with MGM that some of the craftsmanship lacks a little - one of mine has a spot of glue right in the middle of the soundboard - but, on the whole, they're such beautiful instruments that it doesn't matter to me. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom