My KoAloha Sceptre Has Arrived!!!

MartinLil

Reaction score
Last Saturday my new KoAloha concert Sceptre arrived!!! Now, it's been over a week so this post is late but I've been so busywith classes, my internship, and playing her that I haven't been on UU much. This Sceptre is my third as I had problems with the previous two. Papa KoAloha was kind enough to make this Sceptre just for ME (rather than making me wait for another batch of them to be made)!!! You can find more info in this thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23221-I-love-KoAloha!&highlight=love+koaloha

Anyway, I've gotten A LOT of play time in on this beauty. One thing about this Sceptre is that the bridge is a little different. It's not a huge difference but I will post pictures. I believe Pops used this bridge to ensure that there was no bridge lifting, which was the problem I had with my second Sceptre. This one sounds absolutely AMAZING! After a week, the koa has really opened up. She is a canon and complete sound monster! WOW! This little lady really sings. This one is definitely sweeter sounding than the previous two. I don't know if it's the koa, if Papa Koaloha did something a little special to it, or if it's because I've learned all the sweet spots on this uke. Whatever it is, this one is phenomenal!!

Attachments

• DSCN0062.jpg
    DSCN0062.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0055.jpg
    DSCN0055.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0067.jpg
    DSCN0067.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0051.jpg
    DSCN0051.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Here is a picture of the bridge. You will see that behind the saddle the wood has been routed with a router and that there is either rosewood or ebony, I believe it's ebony, behind the inlay. This routed out section and ebony was not there in either of bridges of the previous two I had. I think this bridge is beautiful and is classier than the normal bridge that goes on the Sceptres.

I am extremely grateful to Brian, Papa KoAloha and everyone at KoAloha. This is the best uke I've ever had in my hands. She's perfect! I couldn't have asked for a better uke or better people to do business with!!! They are truly wonderful people! Also, Brian sent along Papa KoAloha's DVD with my uke free of charge!! Thank you Brian!!! :D

Her name is Carmen Carmela Alicia. The literal translation is "song of the noble garden-land."

The first picture is of the new bridge and the second of the old bridge style.

Attachments

• DSCN0071.JPG
    DSCN0071.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 0104002124.jpg
    0104002124.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Love the Sceptre. What size of body do you have on your Sceptre Martin?

Love the Sceptre. What size of body do you have on your Sceptre Martin?
Concert (Concerts have the crown at the base of the neck, tenors are straight).

My next uke will be a Sceptre, but I am going to be picky and get one with nice grain, more like haolejohn's than the one MGM had on ebay a few weeks ago.
Like this:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?19935-KoAloha-Tenor-Sceptre-Review

Not this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HARD-TO-GET-KOA...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ced39d6ad

Just wondering about body size because back in November when I was at the KoAloha factory I think Brian stated that they were going to use the tenor body for both and thats why the new ones all have the crown bridge now. Anybody know if this is true? The original pics of Martins seems like it was in a tenor case.

She's a concert. She fits (almost tight) into a concert sized case so I would assume it is a concert body. The bridge that is on this sceptre is the bridge on the website. So, it looks like this is the one that they'll be using now and that this is uke is following the newest version of the sceptre. My understanding of the bodies is that they are all concert size but with different size necks.

Lil

The bridge that is on this sceptre is the bridge on the website. So, it looks like this is the one that they'll be using now and that this is uke is following the newest version of the sceptre. My understanding of the bodies is that they are all concert size but with different size necks.

Lil

Great, so after all my worrying and searching for "the perfect" Pineapple Sunday, I may have to do it again for a Sceptre?! ;)

I have not studied the Sceptre variations yet, so do you know what has changed? Thanks!

Congatulations Martin. Good things do come to those who wait. Love the grain on that one.

Thanks Martin. Mine just has the standard bridge withe the crown fret board.

attachment.php

Great, so after all my worrying and searching for "the perfect" Pineapple Sunday, I may have to do it again for a Sceptre?! ;)

I have not studied the Sceptre variations yet, so do you know what has changed? Thanks!

I'm not sure of the Sceptre evolution. The only thing I am sure about is that there have been three bridge changes. A quick call to Brian would reveal all the changes. If you find out more, let me know! I'm very interested.

Congatulations Martin. Good things do come to those who wait. Love the grain on that one.

Thank you! At first glance I thought the grain was boring, but the longer you look at it the more beautiful it is. There is so much variation. It's just gorgeous! Papa KoAloha has very good taste.

Congrats on your new Sceptre. I think that might be the tenor bridge on your new one. It's the same one I have on my tenor. Looking good, and glad you enjoy it. Sadly, I have little time to play ukulele in college. T_T

Congrats on your new Sceptre. I think that might be the tenor bridge on your new one. It's the same one I have on my tenor. Looking good, and glad you enjoy it. Sadly, I have little time to play ukulele in college. T_T

I know exactly what you mean!! I get so busy I will sometimes go weeks without sitting down to get some real play time in. I've been lucky as I had a pretty light work load this week. That's all about to change though :(

I know exactly what you mean!! I get so busy I will sometimes go weeks without sitting down to get some real play time in. I've been lucky as I had a pretty light work load this week. That's all about to change though :(

Hah, I never have time to play M-F. I get maybe 30 min of guitar/uke time in during the weekdays while I'm at the dorms. It's just way too busy with work, clubs, and taking more than the max credit load. But I always make time on Sat. It's my relaxation day. Come home, sit in the massage chair, watch TV, play ukulele and guitar. Otherwise, I might go insane.

Wow, that is a really beautiful Sceptre. I'm glad you finally got a perfect one...looks like she was worth the wait! :)

Same here. My Tenor Sceptre has the same bridge with the thin strip of ebony.

Wow, that is a really beautiful Sceptre. I'm glad you finally got a perfect one...looks like she was worth the wait! :)

Thank you! She was definitely worth the wait!! :D

I don't think you can see it in the pictures, but there is a ton of silking in this koa and the back has quite a bit of bearclaw, which is why the tone is superior to the two Sceptres I had prior. I've never seen the bearclaw in koa and I love it! I can only thank Papa KoAloha for picking out such high quality wood for me!

Top Bottom