What Do You Like Most About Playing The Uke?

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I've been a drummer all my life and the suggestions I would make in bands that I played in, were never taken seriously whether it be song selection, arrangements, etc. With the uke, I am the boss. I can play the songs I want, if my capability is there and I can play them the way I want. I also like the fact that you can get a high quality instrument for a fraction of the cost of a drumset and the portability is fantastic. I just wish I could find an open mic night somewhere around Little Rock.:D

I'm a drummer too, and the self-contained in-control aspect is a HUGE win for me as well, along with portability. Plus it's just plain fun.

I love the relaxation that comes along with it. Thats what first struck me when I thought about it.

The ease of learning and the portability.

I'd have to say its charm. There is just something so "charming" about something so simple and fun that can sound so nice.

My background is classical guitar, which is a "serious" instrument. Many pieces/arrangements are quite complicated and difficult to play.

On the uke, even "dumbed down" and simplified classical arrangements can be fun to play and sound so utterly charming. :)

op - you're in little rock? awesome. i went hsu in arkadelphia for 2 years with lots of trips to little rock, where i have a lot of friends. right now im right across the river in mississippi. there's even less of a chance for open mic nites here. fortunately, ill be moving (back) to la in a couple of months, so that'll be a bit easier.

ive played guitar forever and drums for a couple of years. what i like about uke is :
-that fewer people play it. i'm not so interested in necessarily "impressing" people, but it's hard to get people to not roll their eyes when you're playing guitar unless you're freakin fantastic or playing a song they know. uke just feels fresh. while it's not really true, i feel like i'm treading new ground when i dabble around on uke.
-portability. i've already played so much more since i can carry it with me everywhere - literally.
-fun/happy. it just kind of makes me smile. i notice people bobbing their heads in time with the music more. more happy faces. it's just special i think
- it also seems to me that the sound varies from uke to uke more than other instruments. this probably isn't very true and i am by no means an expert, but i've played several sets of drums, countless guitars, pianos, etc. i play a 200$ ibanez acoustic electric guitar and ive played a multi thousand dollar taylor, a breedlove, some martins, etc etc and there's no way they sound thousands of dollars better than what i have. the woods and strings on ukes change the sound so much. i've never even thought about the woods and whether its solid or laminated with guitars, but ukes just seem to have more soul for some reason.
-community. not that theyre my favourite instrument - sometimes i really miss the 6 strings. ive got an accordion coming in the mail this week and ive been looking at squeezebox forums, and doing general research, and the very concept "ukulele" just feels different. it's magical. they're lighthearted, theyre lovely. i'm also a pipe smoker - the only other category of hobby that i basically know i'll get along with the person involved in that hobby. pipe smokers are relaxed, helpful, and patient. you can watch uke videos and talk to people who uke - they're friendly, laid back, and generally happy. it's outstanding. there's a thread about guitar players here, and while it's definitely not true across the board, there's definitely more douches that play them than ukes. same for a lot of instruments. haven't really met a uker i just couldnt stand. i'll admit the first time i picked one up, it felt like i was playing a kids toy: nylon strings, tiny, $50. but my opinion has definitely been changed.

i love it :)

What I like about playing the drums: I can bash the living s**t out of 'em with pointy wooden sticks all night, and the next day they want more. I only have to change the skins in return.

What I like about playing sax: I can breathe my hot, steamy, germ laden air into it all night and smooth, sweet tones come out the other end (along with a cuppa spit when I open the valve...). I only have to change the reeds when they wear out. Easy.

What I like about playing a Stratocaster: I can play it all night, with a Marshall set to 11, until my fingers and/or ears bleed. I only have to change the strings the night before a gig/session, or if one breaks.

What I like about playing the piano: I can push down a key, any key, and a note plays. It's not always the right note, but all I have to do is press down to make the note. Easy. Once in a while I hire a guy to come over and tune it.

What I like about playing the bass: I don't like the bass. I suck like a Hoover on bass. My hands are too small.

What I like about playing the ukulele: I can play it all night and all day, and dopey people still will say dopey things to me like, "Who are you, Tiny Tim?" Ukes & dopes make me smile. But the best thing is that because of the uke, I found the ukuleleunderground and became a member. They let me stay in, even after months of posting crap like this reply. But best of all, because of the uke and UU, I met Salukulady, and thru her, got to meet and play on stage with one the best practitioners of the instrument, and founders of the underground, Aldrine Guerrero, only 2 short months after nearly checking out with a stroke! (Still seems like a dream.) And great people like Sukie come all the way out from the frozen tundra to see it. Wow. Expect the unexpected underground, yo. Great mahalos to all the UU staff and members. Keep up the good work and vibes!!!
:nana::nana::nana:

Last edited:
#1 is the sound, this was a surprise to me. I got my first one for the portability and all the others for the sound. Something about the delicacy and charm of it - it ought to sound like a guitar played up high, but it doesn't. The whole thing seems like low tension, low pressure, happy, fun.

Of course I am sticking with sopranos, tenors and concerts sound more serious.

It makes me happy and I don't have to spend 4 figures to get a good instrument.

It's mostly the sound. But it's as easy or as difficult if I want it to be, and it's not too ridiculously huge.

Making millions of dollars, and having women throw themselves at me.

The uke is a crowd pleasing babemagnet and more easily used in self-defense when confronted on the street. Try making it count with a Martin D-28. And yes, all that money...and fame.

Last edited:
I can play it in my office and the person in the apartment next door doesn't complain about hearing it (like she did when I brought the guitar in).

Making millions of dollars, and having women throw themselves at me.

Yeah, that aspect of uking has been pretty good, too. I just didn't want to dwell too much on the private jet and all the supermodels, but yeah, they're nice to have around.

I like it all. There is really an awesome range of sound possible from delicate fingerstyle campanella sound to banjo roll, to that meaty chop like you get from a mandolin (though it sounds different on nylon), all variations of strumming and suc and it just feels good in my hands and the neck feels like it belongs under my fingers. I love the portability of it. I can take it to work, carry it around all day if I need to and it doesn't get in the way of anything. I absolutely cannot wait to busk with my ukulele.

. . . yeah. . . and the women. . .

I like how everything else just sort of fades away into the background whenever I touch my uke. I just hope it just doesn't make me go blind...

Top Bottom