Anyone play the Baritone Guitar?

kissing

Reaction score
Couple of months ago, I started a topic of the possibility of having a Uke with its GCEA tuning an octave lower.
I got mixed replies - some saying it would be an interesting idea, others saying that it defeats the purpose of a uke, or that it would sound too muddy.

And today, upon reading about bass guitars, I ran into something called the "Baritone Guitar", which is commonly tuned: A-D-G-C-E-A, which is a fifth lower than regular guitar tuning. It's a range between regular guitar and bass guitar.

I wonder whether such a guitar would be easy to learn for the Ukulele player (at least the bottom 4 strings). Apparently the two low strings (A D) are low enough to play like a Bass.

Just thought I'd share :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar

Couple of months ago, I started a topic of the possibility of having a Uke with its GCEA tuning an octave lower.
I got mixed replies - some saying it would be an interesting idea, others saying that it defeats the purpose of a uke, or that it would sound too muddy.

And today, upon reading about bass guitars, I ran into something called the "Baritone Guitar", which is commonly tuned: A-D-G-C-E-A, which is a fifth lower than regular guitar tuning. It's a range between regular guitar and bass guitar.

I wonder whether such a guitar would be easy to learn for the Ukulele player (at least the bottom 4 strings). Apparently the two low strings (A D) are low enough to play like a Bass.

Just thought I'd share :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar

Because the uke and the guitar share the exact same intervals (4ths) they are essentially the same instrument - albeit with slightly different techniques and obviously different ranges.

So knowing the uke gives you a leg up on both the guitar AND baritone guitar – all the same patterns and shapes, nothing changes on paper. GCEA is the same as DGBE 4ths. Know one, know them all (e.g. Ab C# F Bb - F Bb D G, etc… they are all the same intervals, and thus the same patterns).

That said – the baritone guitar requires considerably different hand strength than even the standard guitar. Add to that the scale length issues (frets are further apart) and some shapes/positions will be problematic.

So it’s not any easier to learn than a standard guitar (nor is it particularly harder) – and may have some physical issues that a regular old six string will not. In that bass range, some chord inversions don't sound great either... so there's that.

For example, I play a standard mandolin and an octave mandolin. These are both tuned in 5ths, exactly one octave apart. But because the OM is larger, some chord shapes from the standard mando are physically impossible. Likewise the string size and fret spacing make some tricks harder on one or the other. So knowing 5ths meant I had a leg up, but the specific techniques were a change… same thing here.

I say go for it because you like the sound and range of the BG, not because it will be any harder or easier. If you are looking for “easy-to-jump-to” from uke, then a standard six string would probably be what you need. They are pretty close. That or a baritone ukulele – again, it’s just 4ths so you already know how to play it.

Last edited:
Just my opinion here, but Baritone guitar is very difficult to play unless you have really big hands. Jimi borrowed one from a friend for awhile, and I couldn't play it, due to the thicker strings and wider intervals.... and keep in mind that I play bass guitar. But oh the sound! Wish he still had it because it was totally cool!

KoAloha's D VI is tuned ADGCEA, I believe other ukuleles with six (non-paired) strrings are as well.
Guitar players will have little trouble with the chords, but a ukulele player will need to learn the bass notes.

KoAloha's D VI is tuned ADGCEA, I believe other ukuleles with six (non-paired) strrings are as well.
Guitar players will have little trouble with the chords, but a ukulele player will need to learn the bass notes.

Yamaha GL-1 is as well, and requitos are just small body guitars tuned ADGCEA

Top Bottom