Focus on Family superbowl ad with uke soudtrack

I noticed that too. I have problems with Focus on the Family [please don't respond to that part and derail the conversation], but I though the ad was funny and the music was very nice.

Last edited:
I was too upset that two ads were being played that support the oppression of women in this country (yet ads that promote women's rights, LGBT righst, all minority's rights, and the fight for human rights and equality have been turned down MULTIPLE times) that I didn't hear the music. I had also just gotten into a heated debate with a friend that believes women should be oppressed and limited, so I was still steaming. Actually, I'm pretty sure that I'm still steaming about all five of the commercials.

I wish they wouldn't have assosciated the uke with the fight over legal control of American female bodies.

The controversial Superbowl ad featured a uke soundtrack. Not sure what that means....
Is it the crest of the third wave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BIOTItUwvk

As far as them using a uke in the music for the commercial - who cares, I doubt if it means anything as far as the uke is concerned... probably not a great place for these types of discussions anyway... there's enough debate about uke related items without bringing politics into our lovely forum ;o)

As far as them using a uke in the music for the commercial - who cares, I doubt if it means anything as far as the uke is concerned... probably not a great place for these types of discussions anyway... there's enough debate about uke related items without bringing politics into our lovely forum ;o)

I didn't watch the superbowl at all even though I am a big football fan and a Christian. I think that it is neat that they used a uke for the sound track. Now I am going to watch the video. Remember the discussion is about the uke being used in the soundtrack, not the commercial.

The uke seems to be cropping up in a lot of TV commercials and subtly in some pop songs. I don't think the "third wave" has even approached any kind of crest just yet, as the uke still seems like a novelty instrument to an awful lot of folks. A true crest will happen when the uke is thought of as just another musical instrument - not a novelty or a trick to make songs seem happier. It's refreshing that George Harrison, Ingrid Michaelson, KT Tunstall, and others have integrated the uke into their music without bowing to stereotypes of what the uke brings to a song. Someday soon uke albums won't need "ukulele" in the title.

You have to listen for the uke. If you weren't sure what it was, it could get by you.

We have the same thing happen with our band. I play with a drummer, bass, two guitars and piano. My uke has a pickup and I can match all of them for volume. When we play back our practice sessions, we can hear the uke, but agian, if you didn't know what it was, it would be hard to pinpoint that sound -- it isn't something you expect with a rock band.

There are several commercials (and UU threads) running with ukulele soundtracks. Once you know the sound, they're easy to pick out. Otherwise it could just be a friendly guitar.

I didn't watch the superbowl at all even though I am a big football fan and a Christian. I think that it is neat that they used a uke for the sound track. Now I am going to watch the video. Remember the discussion is about the uke being used in the soundtrack, not the commercial.

all good then! it seemed to me like the discussion was heading towards the content of that specific commercial - rather than a discussion of the uke being featured in a super bowl ad - which is why I didn't think it was a great thread for this forum. But if I was wrong about that - then have fun with the discussion about ukes on TV.

SRSLY! If you have to comment about the content of the ad, let's keep it along the lines of "I'm not crazy about Kia's cars but their ad was great." or "I don't like Doritos but the coffin ad was kind of funny," or "I think the Dodge Charger is a cool looking car but their ad made men look like idiots."

Or better yet: "Regardless of the content, the music was cool."

Last edited:
all good then! it seemed to me like the discussion was heading towards the content of that specific commercial - rather than a discussion of the uke being featured in a super bowl ad - which is why I didn't think it was a great thread for this forum. But if I was wrong about that - then have fun with the discussion about ukes on TV.

No you were right. It was heading that way. I quoted you b/c you were the last post and when I use my phone it automatically quotes people. if I respond to the thread.

I couldn't find it when I looked th other day, but is there a thread about ukes in commercials or just on TV ?

I missed seeing that ad, guess I was up getting something to eat and or drink! I think its pretty cool that the uke was being played!! Right on!!

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned a ukulele that was on the TV show 'The Deep End'. It's a lawyer show, and one of the characters played a uke on two different times on the show. Really interesting how popular uke's are getting to be

There's a Haverty's (furniture store) commercial that I see a lot that has a similar feeling song with a uke in it. I think that type of happy, uke-y tune is becoming common commercial shorthand for "content domestic family situation".

JJ

Top Bottom