PDA

View Full Version : Focus on Family superbowl ad with uke soudtrack

ambrose
02-08-2010, 04:27 AM
The controversial Superbowl ad featured a uke soundtrack. Not sure what that means....
Is it the crest of the third wave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BIOTItUwvk

Swampy Steve
02-08-2010, 04:42 AM
I dont watch football or most any sport, but the uke sounded good. I heard this vid was going to be on when at church, but didnt see it.til now

RevWill
02-08-2010, 04:54 AM
I noticed that too. I have problems with Focus on the Family [please don't respond to that part and derail the conversation], but I though the ad was funny and the music was very nice.

MartinLil
02-08-2010, 05:25 AM
I was too upset that two ads were being played that support the oppression of women in this country (yet ads that promote women's rights, LGBT righst, all minority's rights, and the fight for human rights and equality have been turned down MULTIPLE times) that I didn't hear the music. I had also just gotten into a heated debate with a friend that believes women should be oppressed and limited, so I was still steaming. Actually, I'm pretty sure that I'm still steaming about all five of the commercials.

I wish they wouldn't have assosciated the uke with the fight over legal control of American female bodies.

greg_usa
02-08-2010, 05:31 AM
The controversial Superbowl ad featured a uke soundtrack. Not sure what that means....
Is it the crest of the third wave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BIOTItUwvk

As far as them using a uke in the music for the commercial - who cares, I doubt if it means anything as far as the uke is concerned... probably not a great place for these types of discussions anyway... there's enough debate about uke related items without bringing politics into our lovely forum ;o)

haolejohn
02-08-2010, 05:41 AM
As far as them using a uke in the music for the commercial - who cares, I doubt if it means anything as far as the uke is concerned... probably not a great place for these types of discussions anyway... there's enough debate about uke related items without bringing politics into our lovely forum ;o)

I didn't watch the superbowl at all even though I am a big football fan and a Christian. I think that it is neat that they used a uke for the sound track. Now I am going to watch the video. Remember the discussion is about the uke being used in the soundtrack, not the commercial.

seeso
02-08-2010, 05:46 AM
The mods are watching this thread. Carry on.

RevWill
02-08-2010, 06:01 AM
The uke seems to be cropping up in a lot of TV commercials and subtly in some pop songs. I don't think the "third wave" has even approached any kind of crest just yet, as the uke still seems like a novelty instrument to an awful lot of folks. A true crest will happen when the uke is thought of as just another musical instrument - not a novelty or a trick to make songs seem happier. It's refreshing that George Harrison, Ingrid Michaelson, KT Tunstall, and others have integrated the uke into their music without bowing to stereotypes of what the uke brings to a song. Someday soon uke albums won't need "ukulele" in the title.

Harold O.
02-08-2010, 06:07 AM
You have to listen for the uke. If you weren't sure what it was, it could get by you.

We have the same thing happen with our band. I play with a drummer, bass, two guitars and piano. My uke has a pickup and I can match all of them for volume. When we play back our practice sessions, we can hear the uke, but agian, if you didn't know what it was, it would be hard to pinpoint that sound -- it isn't something you expect with a rock band.

There are several commercials (and UU threads) running with ukulele soundtracks. Once you know the sound, they're easy to pick out. Otherwise it could just be a friendly guitar.

paraclete
02-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Cool! It always makes me happy to hear and/or see the uke showing up on tv.... kind of like when Train was on CSI:NY playing "Hey Soul Sister"....

greg_usa
02-08-2010, 06:15 AM
I didn't watch the superbowl at all even though I am a big football fan and a Christian. I think that it is neat that they used a uke for the sound track. Now I am going to watch the video. Remember the discussion is about the uke being used in the soundtrack, not the commercial.

all good then! it seemed to me like the discussion was heading towards the content of that specific commercial - rather than a discussion of the uke being featured in a super bowl ad - which is why I didn't think it was a great thread for this forum. But if I was wrong about that - then have fun with the discussion about ukes on TV.

RevWill
02-08-2010, 06:26 AM
SRSLY! If you have to comment about the content of the ad, let's keep it along the lines of "I'm not crazy about Kia's cars but their ad was great." or "I don't like Doritos but the coffin ad was kind of funny," or "I think the Dodge Charger is a cool looking car but their ad made men look like idiots."

Or better yet: "Regardless of the content, the music was cool."

paraclete
02-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Ha! well at least it wasn't one of the ads featuring men without pants....

haolejohn
02-08-2010, 07:01 AM
all good then! it seemed to me like the discussion was heading towards the content of that specific commercial - rather than a discussion of the uke being featured in a super bowl ad - which is why I didn't think it was a great thread for this forum. But if I was wrong about that - then have fun with the discussion about ukes on TV.

No you were right. It was heading that way. I quoted you b/c you were the last post and when I use my phone it automatically quotes people. if I respond to the thread.

haolejohn
02-08-2010, 07:02 AM
No you were right. It was heading that way. I quoted you b/c you were the last post and when I use my phone it automatically quotes people. if I respond to the thread.

So did any other ads feature the uke?

KamakOzzie
02-08-2010, 07:02 AM
I couldn't find it when I looked th other day, but is there a thread about ukes in commercials or just on TV ?

ambrose
02-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Umm.... how do I edit the typo in the thread title?

molokinirum
02-08-2010, 07:06 AM
I missed seeing that ad, guess I was up getting something to eat and or drink! I think its pretty cool that the uke was being played!! Right on!!

xjumper
02-08-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned a ukulele that was on the TV show 'The Deep End'. It's a lawyer show, and one of the characters played a uke on two different times on the show. Really interesting how popular uke's are getting to be

Ukulele JJ
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
There's a Haverty's (furniture store) commercial that I see a lot that has a similar feeling song with a uke in it. I think that type of happy, uke-y tune is becoming common commercial shorthand for "content domestic family situation".

JJ

mds725
02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned a ukulele that was on the TV show 'The Deep End'. It's a lawyer show, and one of the characters played a uke on two different times on the show. Really interesting how popular uke's are getting to be

I saw the ukulele on The Deep End last week. It's always cool to see ukes on TV, especially now that it seems like the uke on Scrubs is gone, but I was a little disappointed at what seemed to be a stereotyped use -- the character suggested that he plays it to go to his tropical island happy place. No disrespect to Hawai'ian music, which I like, but I guess I'll feel better about the stereotyping thing when the character on The Deep End knocks out a Beatles tune or some Sinatra on his uke.

obxtom
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Get a grip, take a deep breath, and strum.

scottie
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd like to advance an opinion. . . which will likely be unpopular with the crowd that likes to avoid discussions of this nature. Art is inseparable from politics. In commercials, music, art, writing are used to espouse a point of view, which is inherently political. Most great art has had a political component to it. Michaelangelo made a political statement when he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Duchamp made a political statement when he exhibited a urinal under the title "fountain".

If you really want contentious, look at the politics behind the differing philosophies related to equal temperment in music. . . you had people being burned alive by the authorities over that one. . . and look at the people who were involved in the discussions.

If people want endless discussions about how to pronounce "ukulele" that's fine. I think it's. . . how do we say without offending. . . sad that people believe that we ought to attempt to avoid certain modes of valid discussion because they can get a bit colorful. . .so. . . I dislike the fact that the focus on the family ad got aired when the one with the gay guys watching the superbowl didn't which, if you followed the issue, means that the networks have a political agenda which says that it's okay to talk about things you agree with and it's okay to marginalize things that you don't, even though we claim to be a free and open market driven society . . . even though nobody demanded exceptional treatment and all were willing to pay for the ad time. I think the use of art in that arena merits discussion and, I believe, in the current political context in the US, it demands discussion. It's incumbent on people to keep it civil and I'd rather see moderation aimed at keeping conversation civil rather than directing it by cordoning off certain areas of discussion because people falsely believe you can separate art from politics. . . and attempt to do so to encourage civility. . . but hey. . . who am I to question. . .

scottie
02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
but. . . WOO HOO. . . it's so COOL that they use a ukulele. . . :D:mad::cool:

SuperSecretBETA
02-09-2010, 01:19 AM
EDIT: Whoops. I managed to be disrespectful without even taking an opinion. Carry on.

tabs anyone? :p

Focus on Family SuperBowl XLIV Ad
Transcribed by: SuperSecretBETA

chords
C C Dm F repeat

strumming pattern
D D UDU UDUD D

-3---3------3-3-3---3-3-3-3---3--
-0---0------0-0-0---0-0-0-1---3--
-0---0------0-0-0---0-0-0-0---0--

-3---3------3-3-3---3-3-3-3---3--
-0---0------0-0-0---0-0-0-1---3--

-1---1------1-1-1---1-1-1-1-/-3--
-2---2------2-2-2---2-2-2-2-/-4--
-2---2------2-2-2---2-2-2-x---x--

-0---0------0-0-0---0-0-0-2---3--
-1---1------1-1-1---1-1-1--------
-0---0------0-0-0---0-0-0--------
-2---2------2-2-2---2-2-2--------

seeso
02-09-2010, 01:31 AM
EDIT: Quote removed

This is exactly the kind of disrespectful nonsense that gets these threads locked. Not cool, SSB. Be respectful.

SuperSecretBETA
02-09-2010, 01:41 AM
This is exactly the kind of disrespectful nonsense that gets these threads locked. Not cool, SSB. Be respectful.

Sorry. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with their statements. I actually just meant it as a way to keep the politics discussion out of it and then focus on the ukulele part with tabs. I see where it could come off bad though.
*embarrassed*

EDIT: I just wanted to get some clarification. I was under the impression that political opinions were prohibited under the RULEZ. Are there actual rules about it, or can people discuss politics as long as they're reasonably stated?

seeso
02-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Sorry. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with their statements. I actually just meant it as a way to keep the politics discussion out of it and then focus on the ukulele part with tabs. I see where it could come off bad though.
*embarrassed*

EDIT: I just wanted to get some clarification. I was under the impression that political opinions were prohibited under the RULEZ. Are there actual rules about it, or can people discuss politics as long as they're reasonably stated?

The discussion of politics is not strictly prohibited under the rules. It is the way in which that topic is discussed that gets us into hot water. Keep it respectful, and the thread stays open.

Swampy Steve
02-09-2010, 03:39 AM
I for one am glad that there isnt a lot of political or religious discussion here. I have really never seen it do anything ,, but get people mad , and start name calling.
My best bud is a agnostic, and Im a Christian. We just dont discuss certain things. We used to try , but neither one of us was going to change the others mind , so whats the point. Why get angry and lose a friend over it?
I t isnt his job to convince me that I was wrong,,,, or really my job either.
Seems like once labels go up, people dont look at each other as people,, and this happens from both sides of a argument.
This is a great forum, I respect your opinions , even if I dont agree with them.
I am not eloquent and hope I was able to convey my feelings her , and be respectful of yours
Steve

Skitzic
02-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Yay for ukes on TV!

:nana::nana::nana:

haolejohn
02-09-2010, 04:27 AM
I'd like to advance an opinion. . . which will likely be unpopular with the crowd that likes to avoid discussions of this nature. Art is inseparable from politics. In commercials, music, art, writing are used to espouse a point of view, which is inherently political. Most great art has had a political component to it. Michaelangelo made a political statement when he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Duchamp made a political statement when he exhibited a urinal under the title "fountain".

If you really want contentious, look at the politics behind the differing philosophies related to equal temperment in music. . . you had people being burned alive by the authorities over that one. . . and look at the people who were involved in the discussions.

If people want endless discussions about how to pronounce "ukulele" that's fine. I think it's. . . how do we say without offending. . . sad that people believe that we ought to attempt to avoid certain modes of valid discussion because they can get a bit colorful. . .so. . . I dislike the fact that the focus on the family ad got aired when the one with the gay guys watching the superbowl didn't which, if you followed the issue, means that the networks have a political agenda which says that it's okay to talk about things you agree with and it's okay to marginalize things that you don't, even though we claim to be a free and open market driven society . . . even though nobody demanded exceptional treatment and all were willing to pay for the ad time. I think the use of art in that arena merits discussion and, I believe, in the current political context in the US, it demands discussion. It's incumbent on people to keep it civil and I'd rather see moderation aimed at keeping conversation civil rather than directing it by cordoning off certain areas of discussion because people falsely believe you can separate art from politics. . . and attempt to do so to encourage civility. . . but hey. . . who am I to question. . .

The thing about being open and what not is not really an issue. Regardless of which side you stand on, we get offended when our opinions or views aren't discussed. Look at the media now a days. Very liberal in it's opinions. Once a conservatiove stance is shown the backlash from the masses is intense. I am either the most liberal conservative or the most conservative liberal alive. There are some stances that I hold deeply and I will not change regardless of what people think of me. Am I a zealot for believeing what I believe? Nope. I'm no more a zealot than the person that believes differently than me. Am I wrong for not agreeing with a different or sometimes unpolitically correct stance? Nope. I am me. I choose not to preach my agenda but if you ask mme what I believe I share. I have marched and I have prostested in a professional, non-violent manner. Was I called a bigot? Yes I was. Did I get offended by the agressor? Nope. Why? Because they are entitled to their opinion just as I am.
The sad thing about differing views is that someone always takes it to another level. Do I feel compelled to defend my beliefs? There are times that I do but I normally choose to be the better person. Does this make me unfaithful? No. He knows my heart. I believe in Love. I believe in Life. I also believe in tolerance. Tolerance goes both ways. Tolerance goes both ways.

With all that being said...Who was the uker that played the song?

ambrose
02-09-2010, 04:54 AM
No disrespect to Hawai'ian music, which I like, but I guess I'll feel better about the stereotyping thing when the character on The Deep End knocks out a Beatles tune or some Sinatra on his uke.

As long as it's not "MY WAY"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/feb/09/sinatra-my-way-killings-philippines

02-09-2010, 06:00 AM
If people want endless discussions about how to pronounce "ukulele" that's fine. I think it's. . . how do we say without offending. . . sad that people believe that we ought to attempt to avoid certain modes of valid discussion because they can get a bit colorful. . .

as a hawaiian, the pronounciation argument is very important and can be volatile for me. protect the language, protect the culture. but with that said, scottie, some people would rather discuss what jon and kate are doing rather than what directly affects our community.

greg_usa
02-09-2010, 06:27 AM

dude - I don't think people are afraid to talk. but do we have to pick probably one of the most polarizing political conversations in existence and fire it up on a ukulele forum becuase they happen to pick some stock music that had a ukulele?... peole get very emotionally charged on both sides and these things always seem to get out of hand. it may demand discussion - but I don't think it demands it here. There's a million forums out there to discuss topics just like that... I don't think it's unreasonable for people to come on uke underground and not have to see a debate on abortion and/or political agendas in the media... at least in the 'uke talk' section... believe me - I LOVE debating just about everything under the sun - and NEVER shy away from it. i just don't think this is the place for it. put in a section for 'slightly uke related political debate' and I'm fine with that... if someone goes in there the they know what to expect. I'll stay outta there and stick with conversations about how to pronounce ukulele. i get enough ***t at work all day - when I come here - I want to talk about ukes with a cool group of diverse peeps... ahhhhhhhh - sweet sweet ukulele. ;o)

Monkeyswithladders
02-09-2010, 06:57 AM
I have to agree with Scottie here and was thinking the same exact thing. In the last week or two I've seen about three instances where people tended to shy away from the discussion out of fear that it would get out of hand and a potentially great conversation was totally lost. I think the rule to stay respectful is almost always followed here, and as long as it is, I don't see why certain things shouldn't be discussed. Sure, at less mature forums there are rules against politcs or religion, but that's usually because their members tend to be rude and the subject brings it out. At UU everyone tends to be overly respectful and I don't think political/religious/social conversation will change that.

Avoiding certain issues only allows the divide on an issue to linger, but discussing it politely helps bring the issue to a close. You may not think you're going to change someone's mind on the overall topic of religion for example; but through reasonable discussion is very likely that two opposing sides will gain an understanding on at least one minor issue that they didn't have before. This is progress, and supporting it in a responsible way is much better than avoiding it altogether.

UKISOCIETY
02-09-2010, 07:00 AM
That was a sweet commercial.But did I miss something? I didn't see any political slant promoted by her at all. The uke was a nice touch.

She looks like Mary Steenburgen, doesn't she?

Ukulele JJ
02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
That was a sweet commercial.But did I miss something? I didn't see any political slant promoted by her at all.

I got a pretty strong "pro-life" implication from the ad, although I agree that it certainly wasn't overt.

And, of course, the ad itself was promoting Focus on the Family, a non-profit group that has pretty strong stances on a wide variety of potentially polarizing issues.

JJ

Skitzic
02-09-2010, 08:15 AM
I didn't really get a pro-life vibe from it either...but I don't watch TV. I didn't even know what Focus on the Family was until I looked it up after reading this thread.

I'm so behind the times...

mds725
02-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Look at the media now a days. Very liberal in it's opinions. Once a conservatiove stance is shown the backlash from the masses is intense.

Lol. Even Fox doesn't think Fox is "fair and balanced." This so-called liberal media is the same media that spent last summer passing along as fact the completely unsupportable accusatio that Obama is a socialist.

Zakulele
02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I have something to add, Ukuleles are awesome!

haolejohn
02-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Lol. Even Fox doesn't think Fox is "fair and balanced." This so-called liberal media is the same media that spent last summer passing along as fact the completely unsupportable accusatio that Obama is a socialist.

I never said that any news agency was fair and balanced. It isn't happening. Everyone has their own agenda or views to push.

itsme
02-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I got a pretty strong "pro-life" implication from the ad, although I agree that it certainly wasn't overt.
I heard they toned it down from the original storyline, but the point was that she had a high-risk pregnancy and they recommended she abort to save her own life, but she wouldn't and nearly lost the baby, who turned out to be a Heisman Trophy winner.

Nice to hear more ukes in commercials, though. :)

UKISOCIETY
02-09-2010, 09:06 AM

And, of course, the ad itself was promoting Focus on the Family, a non-profit group that has pretty strong stances on a wide variety of potentially polarizing issues.

JJ

Were some people upset that she DIDN'T abort him? I mean, besides the other Heisman candidates?

leftovermagic84
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I think we've gotten pretty far off the topic of ukuleles here. As great as it would be if ukulele underground solved the issues surrounding this commercial, I doubt it's going to do anything more than upset a lot of folks. If you want to talk about ukuleles, ukulele underground is for you. If you're looking to pick a fight over politics and religion, go to politics underground and religion underground. It's just not what this place is about.

Ukulele JJ
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I mean, besides the other Heisman candidates?

Is it wrong that I LOLed at that?

JJ

Zakulele
02-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I think we've gotten pretty far off the topic of ukuleles here. As great as it would be if ukulele underground solved the issues surrounding this commercial, I doubt it's going to do anything more than upset a lot of folks. If you want to talk about ukuleles, ukulele underground is for you. If you're looking to pick a fight over politics and religion, go to politics underground and religion underground. It's just not what this place is about.

^
you are spot on, Harrison

seeso
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Keep this thread on topic, please. Thanks.

ukecantdothat
02-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Keep this thread on topic, please. Thanks.

I was right to have avoided this thread... Against my doctor's orders, I'm getting all worked up, now. Hey, Seeso... How was that spaghetti last night, anyway?

SuperSecretBETA
02-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Aside from anyone's personal views, I think we can all safely agree that it's not anti-choice if she chose to keep the baby, right? :)

Anyway, give the tabs a try I put in a previous post. I would say the skill level is on par with Aldrine's version of "I'm Yours"