Thinking about a pick guard just for fun

lefty dan

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im thinking about a pick guard on my cutaway soprano. I have attached photos. I cut some paper and colored it with black marker then taped it on. If I go with it I will put tortoise on it.

Please let me know what ya think?
I still have a lot of work to do on it so just look past that if you would.
Also I put one coat of pore filler on it to see what it will look like.
Thanks
Dan

misuke002.jpg
misuke001.jpg
misuke004.jpg
misuke003.jpg

First of all, Gorgeous uke; a really nice build. In my opinion i like it as it is but in my opinion i like an understated look, if you find you actually need one i would go for it if you think it looks good, i look forward to see how this turns out!

Will

I agree. I think you did a good job with the pick guard design but I really don't think you need it. I prefer the natural look of the wood - which, by the way, is really spectacular.

I agree with both of you. I like it better without the pick guard.
Now I must confess. There is a spot of wood right where I want the pick guard to go that looks bad. Its the only part that does not look good. I sanded it and all it did was make it a very smooth bad looking spot. I dont know how I didnt see it before. I could have cut the top differently. Anyway the pick guard will cover that blem up and life goes on. At this point I cant cut anything out without making it look bad.

So there ya have it. Just another learning experience for a new guy.

Dan

Thats a real shame, Still each time i come back to look at the pictures i am wowed at by how gorgeous it is! Have you strung it up yet or not?

So here are the photos. The thing is I tried to fix it so many times that I think I just made it worse. Now I am thinking about sanding it down again and putting the pick guard on for to reasons. One is the bad spot. Two is now Ive screwed it up beyond repair. If I sand any more I will go down to the kerfling lining. Then I will have problems.
This is one of those learning things. I guess this separates the men from the boys.

Ha ha any suggestions are appreciated.
Dan
P.S. Ive already started on the next one and the box is closed. Photos of that soon.

misuke003-1.jpg
misuke002-1.jpg
misuke001-1.jpg

Hmmmm, maybe if you have sanded it down a lot it might be worth putting the pick guard on just to reinforce the wood as well as hiding the spot, but hey i've never built/broken a uke before so i don't know very much hehe

shame about the over sanding. just my opinion, but i'd say to just leave it be. then you can tell people you played the hell out of it, or just tell them the truth about the mistake. live and learn right? in either case, i think the pick guard would be more of an eyesore than the blemished wood. again, just my opinion.

O.K. guys here's my thought. Im going to cut and trim the pick guard when the material comes in. Once I get it the best I can I will tape it to the uke and take another photo. Then I will post it and you guys can decide for me. Mean time I will continue to fill the pores and finish the uke.
To be continued
Thanks
Dan

I put a clear pick guard on a few of mine, protects without showing.
I sometimes use a thumb pick and was afraid I would scratch the top.
You can buy the clear material in sheets. Installation is easy, cut the shape, wet the ukulele top, peel the pick guard backing off and slide around into position.
Squeeze the bubbles from underneath and let dry. Comes off easily without leaving a trace.

well, the uke looks fine, from here, I think the pickguard might muffle the sound a little, I've tried putting on a cardstock pickguard on my CBU because the picks I was using was scratching through the finish, and it REALLY mudded the sound up, so I took it off and stopped using a pick. I guess you should weigh the two though, showing a visual blemish, or sacrificing tone and volume, of course, this was with cardstock, not actual pickguard material.

Yesterday I got the pick guard material in the mail. Last night I took the bad part of the wood off and installed a new piece. I sanded it down flush and it looks good. It was a lot of work but worth it in my opinion.
The grain does not match perfectly so I cut and trimmed a piece of the pick guard material. I set in down on the uke and I think it looks good. Not as good as the wood with out it but Im now applying my finish and might still put the pick guard on it.
I now have an option and thats cool. Man this is frustrating and fun at the same time.

Dan
misuke003-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Dan, uke "traditionalists" tend to hate pick guards on ukes. It's your uke, and if you like it, that's all that's important unless you build ukes to impress others. Just got a mahogany acoustic/electric (they tend not to like pickups either) tenor for my "blues uke" and intend to put amber tuning machine knobs on it and a tortoise pick guard in the manner of early blues guitars. I'll like it enough to make up for those who don't. Good luck Dan, hope it works out for you

Thanks guys but that was almost a year ago. Older post.
I sold that uke for very cheap. It was fun and a good learning experience. I have built two or three after and every time they turn out a little better. Im currently working on a concert for my ife. Black walnut from Hana Lima.
I love reading and learning, its a great journey.
Dan

Top Bottom