More epoxy and harp-uke news...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I took a great deal of time over the epoxy grain filling and I have to say it paid off - I don't think I have ever got such a good top-coat of lacquer on over a grain-filler base. I'm going to give it one more session tomorrow and then it'll be a couple of weeks before the prototype harp-uke is together. I am already making modifications to the next one... and have been in touch with Aquila regarding custom string sets. Into production in the spring I think with a new sub-base headstock, re-entrant tuning to the fretted part and 5 sub-base strings low tuned. Hard to describe but best seen as a,e,C,g,G,F,E,D,C, first to ninth. reasoning being the current model will have to be string a,e,C,G,F,E,D,C and will suit me as a finger-picker. However with a re-entrant fretted set you will be able to get the uke sound for strumming and use the sub-base for finger picking.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the epoxy is the way to go too--I'll see when I clearcoat the soprano I filled this weekend. The process wasn't as painful as I first thought. I had visions of glassing Corvettes again--Up to my ears in fiberglass resin.

I can't wait to hear clips of your harp-uke.

Hope you're feeling better...

What kind of epoxy are you guys using? I thought about using the standard use 5 minute epoxy. I don't really know what I'm doing.

This stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom