More Op's with the Lathe

Timbuck

Reaction score
This is one I worked out for the lathe..in the pic it's an endmill doing the cutting but later I found a 30mm Spade bit worked better...it helps a lot in the final shaping of the heel with a rasp and file to finish.
PICT3006.jpg

PICT3013.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!
That's one heckuva milling cutter Timbuck ! Did you sharpen and hone the edges of the spade bit?, or just use as found? Was there enough relief behind the edge?

WOW!
That's one heckuva milling cutter Timbuck ! Did you sharpen and hone the edges of the spade bit?, or just use as found? Was there enough relief behind the edge?
The spade bit was a cheap one off Ebay and I did a bit of dressing to the cutting edges before I used it.

Pretty cool--I do mine on a band saw, but can't always make the tight curve in a single try, depending on the wood, it seems.

Indeed, that's some mean machine you've got there!
It's a great little Drummond lathe, considering it's almost 100 years old it still is very accurate..Theres some pic's and info' of one like it here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummond/page15.html
My other lathe a 13" South Bend is more modern made in 1942. (I think thats the year "Pearl Harbour" was bombed) *Edit* I've just checked.... that was Dec 1941.

Last edited:
That's a nice old lathe Timbuck. I've got a '42 Logan 10 inch, but never considered using it for any uke building operations. Until now. (love old machines.)

Top Bottom