Concert Hard-foam Case...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Isn't that the kind of case that MGM often includes in his uke packages? That's the kind of case I got when I got my Kelii from him. Nice, light. I think I'd get a more solid case if I did a lot of traveling, but otherwise, good case.

I have a couple of them. They are light, but my personal experience is that the construction methods are not the best. They both blew out the zippers, and the internal velcro straps ripped.

Not my favorite.

I prefer a "real" wooden hard case with a decent cover.

The zippers stayed on my two but I had to put new screws in at the handle attach points. The screws tend to pull out as they are only bedded in foam. I used some "dry wall" type screws to replace. Don't know if you can get them in the UK. They are a screw built with a much deeper thread for more "bite". By deeper I mean the threads are much more pronounced or have a deeper throat to them. In my time in the UK I don't know as I had ever seen them available but then,, what do I know.

I would not get this case. These "Lanikai" style cases are prone to breakage of screws and zippers. In addition, the are rather bulky. I'd spend the extra and get a Kala or Koolau hardcase.

I've got a couple. It will give you more protection than a gig bag, and will probably control humidity just fine if you have a humidifier in the case. It will withstand a few raindrops, but I wouldn't take it swimming. If you're really going to beat on it, I suggest something a little stronger and more expensive, but these cases protect hundreds of ukes shipped from MGM in Hawaii all the way to our doors. That's something right?

I'm not a huge fan of them mostly because of the bulk and the handle attachment. I have a Kala hard case for one (nice) and a Ko'olau for the other (VERY nice). The Ko'olau has better latches than the Kala - I had to do a little work with a pair of pliers on that one to make sure the lowest latch on the lower bout stayed shut. The Ko'olau is fantastic. You will pay a lot more for these, though!

I'm having trouble finding anything other than these cases though. The place I'm getting my Kala from can't get any Kala hardshell cases, or for that matter, any hard shell cases at all and I'm not having much luck either! Can't find anything under say £50 which is a bit much for me at the moment. Not exclusivley after a Kala, even a Stagg or anything will do!...

I have similar foam pod cases for ukes, mandolins, fiddles... Never really had a problem with them. Zippers all fine, screws/rivets all fine.

I do prefer the tweed hardshell that my tenor lives in, but I've always found the pods to be fine. Better than no case.

I've had a couple of these and as I said in the other post...

"I can't see you needing anything tougher unless your uke got run over by a truck! They are solid, well insulated, light weight for travelling, hang easily from the bottom of a rack sack using the straps and look sleek and low profile. I can't see any benifits from having a fully hard case in fact I can see many benefits of this over a hard case."

As for the how well they are made, keep an ear to what other people are saying if a lot say they are falling to pieces avoid... I can say I've never had trouble with them.

The foam cases have worked great for me. You would have to really handle the case very roughly to need more protection. Good prices at Empire Music (including shipping) too.

Ralplhk

Top Bottom