The correct way (ukulele vs uke)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howlie Boy

Reaction score
I know we have had several discussions like this but its fun to have and see your opinions. The way to say it, some people say uke and some say ukulele. What's your opinion?

Here is mine, I say ukulele, reason is because i feel its more proper. This shortning of terms is looked down on in other aspects that I know of so maybe this is why my opinion is what it is. Like in the tattoo industry yoou never say tat or tatted. Generaly speaking its a slap in the face. Also growing up with a lot of Hawaiian and other island culture it was never called a uke. This is my opinion, what's yours?

This is interesting ( to those of us, Deach, who haven't taken part in such a convo before ;-)).

New Zealand has a Polynesian culture too, of course, Maori. Many of our place names are Maori and some of our everyday language is Maori.
Since I was kid we've come a long way to respecting the language and trying to pronounce words properly and have pretty much scrapped various shortened Anglicised versions of Maori place names that we all used as a matter of course 30 years ago (Paraparaumu used to be Paraparam, Waipukerau was called Waipuck, Motueka was often just called Mot.). Quite a few of our landmarks now have two names because Maori and Englisdh are both official languages herei (Our tallest mountain is either Mt Cook or Aoraki, another is either Mt Egmont or Taranaki). There ARE place names (most notably Wanganui which properly should be spelt Whanganui and pronounced differently) that many feel is now an English word and shouldn't be changed. But generally in our culture it's respectful to use the correct name and try to pronounce people's names and other Maori words properly.
So - I'm imagining it's the same for Hawaiian speakers.
Soooo - I wouldn't now say yookalaylee. But I do say yook. Is "uke" now an English word? Can we use it withouit offence? Uke lends itself to puns more easily than ukulele, doesn't it? (says he of the Ukes of Hazard).
In New Zealand the language (te Reo) is "owned" or "protected" by the people as a treasure - so I tend to be led by the opinions of Maori. If they like their language to be spoken a certain way - who am I to argue?

This is interesting ( to those of us, Deach, who haven't taken part in such a convo before ;-))....

Let me summarize what's going to happen.

Half the people won't care, the other half will get offend. There will be a heated argument and this thread will join the rest of the locked uke vs ukulele threads.

Or we could all sit back, enjoy some tea and discuss the many connotations of the words "uke" and "ukulele" in a pleasant setting.

I use both words. When I talk to people who are familiar with the ukulele I say "uke", but when I'm talking to people who know very little about the ukulele I say "ukulele".

"Uke" makes me feel like I'm part of the ukulele community, as if its slang from a gang or group or something.

Half the people won't care, the other half will get offend. There will be a heated argument and this thread will join the rest of the locked uke vs ukulele threads.
That pretty much sums it up.

Just don't call it an "uku".

'ukulele :deadhorse: 'ukulele :deadhorse: 'ukulele :deadhorse:

LOL :rofl:

I don't mind using "uke" in conversation. In text, even on an informal message board, I prefer to write out the word. I'm one of those people who cares about grammar. I usually refrain from correcting others, though.

I call it a uke, pronounced yuke, or a ukulele, pronounced yukulele. Never ookulele and I always say "a" and not "an" ukulele. Not correct but I don't care, it's what I'm comfortable with.

Jude

Why not? I see a lot of Europeans calling it that in the boards.

That's the one that really gets me. An "uku"is a flea, a nit, or more commonly, head lice! It's common to hear "MY daughter get ukus and have to keep her away from the other kids for a week." Sometimes you sit and scratch and scratch. Guaranteed you get ukus.

Deach is right. Having said that, let me chime in anyway and say that, from what I've obzoived, in the mainland, it is trad to say both " a uke" and "a ukulele" (pronounced Yooka-lay-lee) and in Hawaii, where the name was coined, "an 'ukulele" and on occasion, "a uke." Being a mainlander myownself, it feels pretentious when I use the Hawaiian pronunciation around other mainlanders and the otherwise uninitiated, but online here in "mixed" company, I will stick the "an" in front of it as a gesture of respect. Never heard "uku" but I like Chuck's take on it! And having said that, I now defer back to deach.

Really, It dudn't much make no diff, y'all.

Last edited:
We're gonna be getting some real snow here in NJ up north this time...nice for...'ukin...

Chuck and Ahnko, Mahalos fo da responses on the word uku. My dos centavos . . . and I've posted this before. Being born and raised in the 808, uku has only one meaning and it's not a shortcut for 'ukulele. You can play the 'ukulele but you sure as hell won't play with an uku. As far as pronunciation, I agree with deach . . .

BTW, here are some other threads . . .
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?4501
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?12021
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?982

Last edited:
I had spaghetti for dinner tonight.

Yup.

One or two posts already seem to be inviting challenge. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom