PDA

View Full Version : NY Uku festival

Sic_Rob
02-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi,

I just accidentlly heard about the Ny Uku fest. Can anyone tell me about it? What kind of things do they offer? What kind of work shops do they have? I would love a run down of the event. The web site hasn't posted a lot of things yet and I am very excite to attend. I just want to know more while I build up the excitement. I've already told my wife not to plan anything that weekend. Atleast don't plan anything that includes me. LOL Is it something that I can bring my young children (6 & 3)?

Skitzic
02-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't know, but I think 135 is a heck of a ticket price...

Sic_Rob
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
NO KIDDING! What do you get for $135? I couldn't figure that out. that may be out of my price range. It's to bad too. I can't tell you how many folks that I have met on UU that are college and even high school students that will not be able to afford that. I hope thats a 3 day combined ticket price.

Pippin
02-09-2010, 10:07 AM
New York Head Lice Festival?

Skitzic
02-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I like to think of myself as an adult but I'm not sure I could afford that. I mean, yeah you get to see a lot of people in concert...but I can't afford to get a room in NYC for 2 nights AND buy that ticket. Can you imagine what it will cost after the 'early bird special?' It will probably be pushing 200.

Melissa82
02-09-2010, 10:26 AM
New York Head Lice Festival?Lmao! I was really trying not to say anything.

Sic_Rob
02-09-2010, 10:30 AM
I've been to the New Orleans Jazz festival which is on it's 40 something year and it didn't cost this much. Though they didn't have a Ukulele tent now that I think about it. I'll wait to see the prices broken down.

paraclete
02-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Lmao! I was really trying not to say anything.

LOL! Same here!

afeistyfiesta
02-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Maybe you get a new special edition ukulele upon entry...

For $135, I would rather buy myself 3 new makala dolphins or half a new quality uke...

AlanZ
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Gee, and I thought that the price was pretty good for a three day event with workshops. Cheaper than others I've attended.
And not to forget the all day Sunday luau...

Fitzy
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
This weekend in Massachusetts is the Boston Bluegrass Union's annual Joe Val Bluegrass Festival, a three-day event to celebrate the legacy of the late Joe Val, a bluegrass music pioneer from New England. As a non-member, a ticket for me would be $90, which includes workshops, educational programs, vendors and three days of national and regional bluegrass talent. I wouldn't have to worry about a hotel because the festival venue is a half-hour away. I'm debating going, though, because $90 and whatever I end up spending at the festival could easily buy me that beater uke I've been wanting to get . . . still three days of bluegrass music is awfully tempting.

ukecantdothat
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
From last year, this alone would be worth the price of admission...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqdLthN-n4A

Kanaka916
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Aww shoots, ya beat me to it . . .

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Hah! That's exactly what I was thinking. If I go, I'm shaving my head first.

haole
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
We have plenty of uku here already. ;)

Last year they had a UU member special for $99 for the full pass. Hope they do that again this year.

mds725
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
NY Uku festival

Sic_Rob, there was recently a thread on whether people said "ukulele" or "uke," and there were several posts about how some people, mostly in Europe, say "uku" (which apparently translates in some languages as "head lice"). So I thought I'd just come out and ask, without meaning to be judgmental: Why do you use the short form "uku" instead of "uke" for ukulele?

ukecantdothat
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Hah! That's exactly what I was thinking. If I go, I'm shaving my head first.

Like this guy!

Skitzic
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
From last year, this alone would be worth the price of admission...

That was awesome, but not 135 awesome

pithaya9
02-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Makes my scalp itch just thinking about it. :biglaugh:

Sic_Rob
02-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Gee, and I thought that the price was pretty good for a three day event with workshops. Cheaper than others I've attended.
And not to forget the all day Sunday luau...

good point

Sic_Rob
02-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Sic_Rob, there was recently a thread on whether people said "ukulele" or "uke," and there were several posts about how some people, mostly in Europe, say "uku" (which apparently translates in some languages as "head lice"). So I thought I'd just come out and ask, without meaning to be judgmental: Why do you use the short form "uku" instead of "uke" for ukulele?

honestly. i mis typed it. i use both because because it's,the first 3 letters of ukulele. but i use both for nogood reason. however, thank you forexplaining uku. i was wondering about the head lice thing. thanks

Hobgoblin Steve
02-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I went last year and you can check my youtube channel for alot of the concert that was played. heres how it basically went down:
you had your choice of 3 work shops, they came in groups of 5 or so..so you get 5 and choose one and go to the classroom. you can wander around and get bits of each, but youd probably want to stick with one full lesson. you do that three times and then theres a dinner break. after dinner theres a concert from 7 - 11 and the "professors" preform. VV was a performer, Ukulele Bartt was, and a whole bunch of others. (check my channel, every performer had a lesson on something)

there are a bunch of other NYers who went and can fill in more

Raygf
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
$135 for a Full Festival Pass offering many workshops over 2 days, 2 nights of concerts and an All Day Luau on Sunday. Dinner and a concert for 2 can cost more than that. I do hope they offer a UU discount, but even at $135 it's worth it. James Hill, Lil Rev, Bill Tapia, Victoria Vox, Tripping Lily, just to name a few. I've attended workshops and concerts by these folks and they are all top notch and I will attend their workshops and concerts in the future. I thoroughly enjoyed last year's festival. Met some very nice people and heard an amazing range of incredible performers.

You can't really compare prices to Jazz Fest that has huge sponsors like Shell Oil, Pepsi, Acura, The Louisana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism and Miller Lite, not to mention huge attendance. The New York Uke Fest is a labor of love without large corporate sponsorship. I hope you can attend and have a great time.
Regards,
Ray

Hobgoblin Steve
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
$135 for a Full Festival Pass offering many workshops over 2 days, 2 nights of concerts and an All Day Luau on Sunday. Dinner and a concert for 2 can cost more than that. I do hope they offer a UU discount, but even at $135 it's worth it. James Hill, Lil Rev, Bill Tapia, Victoria Vox, Tripping Lily, just to name a few. I've attended workshops and concerts by these folks and they are all top notch and I will attend their workshops and concerts in the future. I thoroughly enjoyed last year's festival. Met some very nice people and heard an amazing range of incredible performers.

You can't really compare prices to Jazz Fest that has huge sponsors like Shell Oil, Pepsi, Acura, The Louisana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism and Miller Lite, not to mention huge attendance. The New York Uke Fest is a labor of love without large corporate sponsorship. I hope you can attend and have a great time.
Regards,
Ray

the UU discount was 60$. thats what I paid.

edit: Ray, hope youre goin this year buddy

rogue_wave
02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I went a couple of years ago when I was just getting into the ukulele. I am hoping to go this year.

I feel like I could really get something out of the workshops to make it worthwhile. One thing about the price is that it did intimidate me as a newbie, when really that is when I probably needed to go the most. I know that for example, my son who is young but has an interest, will not get $135 worth of value from the fest. I think for him a full experience would be a walk through the market, watching a performance or two and MAYBE sitting in on a beginner workshop/lesson whereas I am interested in a heavy workshop/show schedule. LAst year I passed in favor of doing something that we could enjoy together. Hopefully there will be some more a la carte pricing options this year as well.

It would be cool to organize a UU jam here that weekend though. Maybe as it gets closer we can see who is coming and get something going.

Hobgoblin Steve
02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I went a couple of years ago when I was just getting into the ukulele. I am hoping to go this year.

I feel like I could really get something out of the workshops to make it worthwhile. One thing about the price is that it did intimidate me as a newbie, when really that is when I probably needed to go the most. I know that for example, my son who is young but has an interest, will not get $135 worth of value from the fest. I think for him a full experience would be a walk through the market, watching a performance or two and MAYBE sitting in on a beginner workshop/lesson whereas I am interested in a heavy workshop/show schedule. LAst year I passed in favor of doing something that we could enjoy together. Hopefully there will be some more a la carte pricing options this year as well.

It would be cool to organize a UU jam here that weekend though. Maybe as it gets closer we can see who is coming and get something going.

last year you could buy tickets for just the concerts. im sure they will do it again. so your son could def get alot out of it. Im going to drag my uke-skeptic parents to it this year hopefully

austin1
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
@#$%^&*()_ I think I'm graduating that weekend! BLAST.

mds725
02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
honestly. i mis typed it. i use both because because it's,the first 3 letters of ukulele. but i use both for nogood reason. however, thank you forexplaining uku. i was wondering about the head lice thing. thanks

Here's the tthat talks about head lice ....

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?26271-The-correct-way-(ukulele-vs-uke)

Raygf
02-09-2010, 11:16 PM
the UU discount was 60$. thats what I paid.

edit: Ray, hope youre goin this year buddy

Hey Steve, I payed $99. I have not made a decision yet. You could see me there. Glad to know you'll be there. I'll let you know.
Regards,
Ray

Sic_Rob
02-10-2010, 05:12 AM

Regards,
Ray

Hi Ray, Your point about Jass Fest being sponsered is an excellent point. Plus Jazz Fest didn't have work shops. Unless you consider eating and drink to excess work shops. LOL The more I read the replies and think about it the more I realize the price is fair just hi for me personally. I am married with 2 young children so there is no way I am spendning all 3 days there. I was hoping to take my girls or at least my oldest for 1 day. Maybe if the wife is feeling generous I can go a second day alone. I hope they have alacart pricing otherwsie I will unfortunately have to pass. But I wanted to say again how your point made complete sence. Hope I can get there.

Ahnko Honu
02-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Ha ha ha, don't want to be a nit-picker but...

rogue_wave
02-10-2010, 07:16 AM
It would be a done deal for me with a $66 UU price tag, and the option for some ala carte entrances- to the market and individual shows/workshops so my son could join for what amounts to an 8 year olds attention span.

I'll most likely be going no matter what. I guess I better get my UU shirt to represent. Is anyone thinking of traveling here from far away?

Skitzic
02-10-2010, 08:41 AM
It would be a done deal for me with a $66 UU price tag, and the option for some ala carte entrances- to the market and individual shows/workshops so my son could join for what amounts to an 8 year olds attention span.

I'll most likely be going no matter what. I guess I better get my UU shirt to represent. Is anyone thinking of traveling here from far away?

I'm pondering it, if they break down ticket sales a little more (I can't afford that right now). I'm in PA...but I hate driving in NY. I hate it with a passion, trains scare me, and the one person I know who MAY be interested in going doesn't have a car right now....soooooo I probably won't go.

Gipserio
02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
UKECANTDOTHAT could you PLEASE tell me who those people were!!!!

That was absolutely amazing! Are they Arabs, Lebanbese, Israelies...?

Hobgoblin Steve
02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
theyre Canadian actually,

www.smallworldproject.ca

Hobgoblin Steve
02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
theyre Canadian actually,

www.smallworldproject.ca

not to mention their cd is amazing

Gipserio
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Canadian huh! Absolutely stunning. They got a fan club going here!

Thanks Hobgolin