Live Lesson Changes

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
For everyone who tunes in to the live lessons, we're going to be testing some different streaming platforms and solutions. Ustream has been, ok, for us but we think we can do better and you guys deserve better.

Tomorrow we will be testing a service provided by a local company called Hawaiistream.com. We're run a few test streams and the video quality seems much better than what Ustream can offer. It's a windows media streaming service which means for you Mac people, you'll need to download flip4mac here in order to watch the lesson.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx

I'd advise all Mac users to have that installed by tonight if you're planning on enjoying the live lesson. If you're on a PC, you have nothing to worry about. The lesson page and chatbox will be linked to tomorrow on the front page so check there for details, follow us on twitter or facebook and we'll lace you up there.

So if you show up to the ustream page tomorrow and nothing is going on be sure to check the frontpage for the updated link to the stream.

this live stream is going to put Avatar to shame ....

not
I was going to appropriately oooooh and aaaaaaah in reverence until I saw the "not"!

so i downloaded flip4mac...i clicked on the link on the homepage and it still said i couldnt open the page when i clicked on the lesson link...what else do i have to do?

so i downloaded flip4mac...i clicked on the link on the homepage and it still said i couldnt open the page when i clicked on the lesson link...what else do i have to do?

If you have it installed, restart your computer. It works best with safari

I tuned in at 4:40 (so 2:40 HST) and it took me a while to realize that I was actually watching the recording, not the live lesson. There were still people logged into the chat room which added to the illusion that it was Live. Is there a way to denote that what we are watching is a recording?

I tuned in at 4:40 (so 2:40 HST) and it took me a while to realize that I was actually watching the recording, not the live lesson. There were still people logged into the chat room which added to the illusion that it was Live. Is there a way to denote that what we are watching is a recording?

Good suggestion. We'll put a banner or something that says LIVE, or NOT ON AIR depending on whether we are broadcasting or not.

This system is very new to us so we're working out some kinks. Next week should be much better and more organized. There's a little bit of lag so we'll have to figure out a way to handle that for the questions.

Good suggestion. We'll put a banner or something that says LIVE, or NOT ON AIR depending on whether we are broadcasting or not.

This system is very new to us so we're working out some kinks. Next week should be much better and more organized. There's a little bit of lag so we'll have to figure out a way to handle that for the questions.

Cool! The kinks are minor compared to the improved audio. It sounded great!

Oh wait. I just had a thought - I wonder if the great audio is inversely related to the lag time? Better audio could mean more data being transmitted, which means data takes longer to transmit, which results in lag. Just a theory, but might be worth checking to see if there's an option to turn the quality of the stream down. Just a tad. :)

Cool! The kinks are minor compared to the improved audio. It sounded great!

Oh wait. I just had a thought - I wonder if the great audio is inversely related to the lag time? Better audio could mean more data being transmitted, which means data takes longer to transmit, which results in lag. Just a theory, but might be worth checking to see if there's an option to turn the quality of the stream down. Just a tad. :)

Could be. We can turn down the quality a little to test. We had it running at 300 kbps which is like 100 kbps better than Ustream

i'm a linux user (specifically ubuntu os) is there a program for me to use. i cannot get the live stream from hawaii stream. also, how would i find the recording on the hawaii stream website? i can't find their video archive.

I'm in the same boat as Cent... anxious to hear what the response is.

i'm a linux user (specifically ubuntu os) is there a program for me to use. i cannot get the live stream from hawaii stream. also, how would i find the recording on the hawaii stream website?

I've been able to view the archived lessons using VLC Media Player. I don't know whether it works for the live stream...

Top Bottom